I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017 > Strictly Frocks
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I'm All Out of Love: Week 6

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm All Out of Love: Week 6
    Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 16:48
Something really bad has happened. I have officially fallen out of love with Strictly.

Our relationship has been on the rocks for a little while, and I always secretly hoped that we could patch things up, but it hasn't been working for ages. I only just watched Wemberley week this morning and I haven't watched last night's offering yet. 

So I have a bit of catching up to do on the frocks ... and let's start with the review from week 6 that I promised a while ago.

Denise: there certainly was a lot of red!  Very dramatic styling, sharp lines and nice use of sheer material to lighten the effect.  It needed the black strap at the back to break up the colour.  But my big gripe is that the dress is too contrived. It has clearly been designed for the cape-style twirling of the skirt without too much thought given to how it might dance in other dances eg Jive.  Now i know these are 'one time only' dresses, but they are sold off afterwards and I can't imagine anyone wearing this for a five dance latin competition.

Fern: ah now, the much discussed Salsa dress.  As you have already discussed, the failings in this dress stem from the body stocking.  But also, under the dress was a control body, rather like a swimming costume, with body stocking over the whole lot.  This was cut straight across at the back and was clearly far too tight and it resulted in those bulges of skin over the top.  The stocking over the top never stood a chance of keeping all in as it's not a particularly substantial material.  The control body should have been cut higher under the arms in fact, had broader straps and a scoop back, then Fern would have een much more under contol without any unslightly bulging.  It's a shame, because the rest of the dress was fabulous, but as soon as that bulge was revealed it was all I could see for the rest of the dance.

Victoria: she looks far better in traditional style ballroom gowns than latin dresses.  I loved the shaping on this gown, the skirt danced really well, thanks to the godets.  I've not seen frills added to the bottom of godets before but the extra weight helped the skirt to swirl.  I'm not in love with the tan colour though I did like the ruched black chiffon coming around from the sheer back.  In an attempt to enhance Victoria's bosom, the decoration on the top of the bra cup and the ruching below, was quite effective. Overall a nice mover, but I would have preferred it in a different colour.

Kimberley: now I know the look they're going for here.  I have seen some beautiful old gown with an overlaid top skirt like this and the effect is lovely.  The material used here however is too heavy and it did not move well with the skirts.  I wasn't fussed on the colourway either. The lace over the oyster coloured skirts was lovely, but the pale apricot on the bodice was from the wrong colour palette and didn't tone well with the
metallic lace.  I liked the stoning though. The DSI ladies are absolute masters at this! 

Dani: there were lots of individual features to like about this little two piece. the colour was sumptuous, the cute little ruched cap sleeves with the stones, the sunray pleats on the top skirt, which always dance extraordinarily well, the little flashes of colour on the bias binding for the underskirts.  All great ... but not on Dani. The colour swamped her, and the two piece with this particular length of skirt, managed to make a petitte girl look dumpy.  I hated it on her.

Natalie: beautiful shade of blue that I think Natalie has worn quite a bit of over the series' and it always looks stunning.  I think this is the same material used in Lisa's Cha Cha dress from week one. The one shouldered style looks great onNat, with her height she can really carry it off and the long fringing played this up too.  the skirt looked a bit of an afterthought.  It wasn't very substantial and looked like something tacked on at the last minute and if it weren't for Natalie swishing it around, it would have just swung around in a big blue lump.

Lisa: very classy and finally a better neckline.  There was still a round neck on the body stocking, but the effect of the white lapels drew the eye down and inwards and I thought this really suited her. Again, the stoning over the bust worked with the lapels to keep most of the focus on the top half and the sheer skirts brough a little attention to the occasional flash of leg.  And celebrating Lisa's changing bodyshape by getting a bit more daring with the sheer fabric down her back.  It suited the overall feel of the dance and is the best Lisa has looked yet.  Would have liked her to have flung the hat before the dancing started though.

Karen: beautiful colour that worked really well under the lights. Another sheer bottom to the skirt and this is now officially a 'trend'!  It's been a feature of several dresses now on the show and I think it has it's merits.  You can at least see the feet, even if the skirts are too long, but I do prefer a heavier skirt.  But the bodice was beautifully stoned, and I liked how the lace flowers snaked their way up into the broad straps.  The back in comparison was very plain and I wasn't that keen on the bands around her back.

Erin: the pale blue looked a bit wishy washy on the floor, even with the mauve underskirt.  The fringing was cut very well, so as to hang in a way that actually emphasised Erins figure. Usually Charleston dresses are cut for boyish figures and are straight up and down. 
The stoning on the bodystocking underneath the fringing was a nice touch.  Invisible when Erin stood still, but sparkling when the fringing flew up as she danced. 

Flavia: lovely shaping to the skirt, the dip dyed chiffon allowing the white underskirts to shine at the bottom of the gown.  Normally you wouldn't want seams on show, but the seams running the length of the topskirt added to the design, almost like whalebone's in a corset.  An empire line looks great on most people and the white top tied in the white skirts nicely.  The black frill was odd and out of place. Up close it is lovely in itself, but it was placed far too high on the front of the bodice and just fought with the stoning panel on the back of the dress. 

My favourite frock from this week was Lisa's. What was yours?

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
 Post Reply Post Reply