I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Chat
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My garden

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My garden
    Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 00:41
Now its getting closer to summer here in Australia, I thought I would share some photos some of the native plants we have in the garden and some of the native birds that come to eat nectar or seeds from those plants.

This is the wattle tree. The flowers look like little yellow pom poms, about 0.5 to 1cm in diametre. These 2 photos were taken in late September when they were in full bloom. They have since gone to seed and the sulphur crested cockatoos love the seeds. The seeds are also true bush tucker food. Commercial growers harvest the seeds for use in baking. I saw the cockatoos this morning when I was eating breakfast and went outside and took some photos.

I read somewhere that the wattle tree was introduced into South Africa and its considered a pest over there.

Edited by MargiABC - 19 Nov 2012 at 01:31
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 00:53
Near our front steps we have a grevillea. The grevillea can come in different shades of red and this one is a pale orange. We had a Rainbow Lorikeet visit this morning to take some of the nectar. We see these birds occasionally during spring and summer and its a real treat when they visit.

We have mainly native plants in our garden and they attract the birds. I never saw any of these birds when I was a child growing up in the eastern suburbs nearer to Sydney.

Edited by MargiABC - 19 Nov 2012 at 00:54
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 07:40
Oh Margi, that is truely beautiful. Our garden at the moment is best described as daggy (sp?)
 As fast as we Hoover up the leaves more come down.
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 10:09
What a beautiful tree.
My garden here is a mess too, raked up 3 large bins of leaves so far from my fig, and willows
looking forward to seeing all flora and fauna next month!!
Aren't the parakeets very noisy?? We lived by the beach , so just got mainly seagulls.
Am going down to Yarrawarrah for New Years day bbq, with ex- colleagues of hubby from Botany Bay, they have tons of wildlife there, remember from the BBHHH runs/walks we went on down there.
There is a wildlife park down there too, we always go to on trips back, forgotten the name (again!) usual , feed kangaroos, and wallabies, put a boa constrictor, or similar large snake round your neck for the obligatory photo.  Only a small park, but you can get close to all the native animals/birds .(Taronga enjoyable, but much bigger of course, and not as up close and personal)

Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 10:20
The cockatoos can be noisy. I only caught 2 on my camera, but there were 4 there together and 2 flew off when they saw me. At school they were scavengers. They would pull out the rubbish from the bins after lunch. The outdoor cleaner used to blame the kids for the mess, until I showed him some footage I recorded. We used to get galahs down on the football field after the kids had gone home. The kids running around on the grass exposed a lot bugs and stuff the galahs liked to eat.
The rainbow lorikeets usually come in pairs, so I don't know where the other one was.

The branches the birds were in were probably 2-3 metres off the ground, high enough so as the cats next door can't harm them.

Edited by MargiABC - 19 Nov 2012 at 10:50
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 10:48
The Campbelltown area is part of a koala corridor, i.e. where koalas travel through. They are normally nocturnal and travel at night. About 9 / 10 years ago there was a koala in a eucalypt tree at the end of my street. It stayed there all day, asleep and at night went on the move. One of our neighbours followed it with a torch and stopped the traffic to allow it to safely cross the main road in our suburb. Cars and dogs are their greatest enemies when they are on the move. The University of Western Sydney has a koala watch team. They ask locals to give them a call when a koala is sighted and they come out and check out the koala. They tag it if it hasn't already been tagged or identify it from its tag and determine if it looks healthy or injured and cross reference with their data base to see when and where it was last sighted and calculate how far it has travelled. If it hasn't been tagged before, the person who spotted it can give it a name for the tag. The team will take any injured or ill koalas away for veterinary treatment.
We were really excited when we saw the koala. Everyone from our street was at the base of the tree looking up. Unfortunately about 18 months later the koala watch group reported that this particular koala was found dead after being attacked by a dog.
One of the local primary schools has koalas passing through the school grounds every now and then. This school is a lot closer to the bush than our street.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 01:27
Originally posted by Toots

Oh Margi, that is truely beautiful. Our garden at the moment is best described as daggy (sp?)  As fast as we Hoover up the leaves more come down.

Thanks Toots, although I only showed you upper branches of the trees. We have to constantly sweep up the leaves too, but we put some back onto the garden as mulch and the rest into our green waste bin. We have a lot more native trees in our garden including Banksia (named after Sir Joseph Banks who came out with Captain James Cook in the exploration of Australia), a flame tree which has no leaves on it at the moment, just losts of red flowers. We did have kangaroo paw, but it didn't like where it was planted and only lasted 2 seasons. Our block of land is quite steep, higher at the front than the back yard, so the garden is kind of terraced using the rocks that were already there at the front and we used to have a blue tongue liazrd live under one of the rock ledges. The back yard is on 2 levels. We had to fence it off so no one would fall off the edge.

If you look at the first photo of the wattle tree, you can see a fence on the right of the tree. There is a path that is in front of the house along the fence line that separates the front garden from the house. Behind the fence is a 1 metre drop with a rock ledge, hence the fence - we didn't want anyone tripping over and falling off the edge. We jokingly call the drop the moat. We put in 2 small rubber crocodiles along the rocks years ago and some of the neighbours children would look down (they were 4-5 years of age at the time) and think they were real.

Edited by MargiABC - 20 Nov 2012 at 01:39
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 07:47
I love Blue tongue lizards, one year when staying in our house for the holidays, one ran out from under next doors decking!!!!! amazing!!!
kids saw it too.
just found out missing carols on coogee, early this year on the 16th Dec.Angry

Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 00:52
I just spent the last couple of hours sweeping up the leaves from the front and back yards as the green waste bin goes out tomorrow for collection. Even though we do put some leaves back as mulch on the garden, we have to remove the leaves right next to the house as they are a fire hazard in summer in the bush fire season.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 03:05
I just saw 2 rozellas on the wattle tree, but I was too slow with the camera. They look similar to the rainbow lorikeets, but they have vibrant red head feathers rather than blue, but the bulk of their body feathers are blue.
Rose View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Madam Whiplash

Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 18:36

Lovely photo's Margi..

Hope you and the family are well and looking forward to Christmas - as here with us .

MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 00:35
Thank you Rose. I am looking forward to Christmas and especially to your Christmas countdown.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 22:25
I am glad it rained the last 2 days. Native plants don't need to have a lot of additional watering. The next 3 days will kick in summer for sure. The temperatures will be in the high 30sC today and low 40sC Fri and Sat.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 09:10
One of our bushes which has lovely purple flowers on it has flowered again out of season. The weather has been warm again mid autumn and it has tricked some of them into flowering as though it is spring again.
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 09:32
It's the opposite problem here Margi.
Trees have been very slow to flower.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
 Post Reply Post Reply