I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017 > Strictly Frocks
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Retrospectively Speaking: Week 5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Retrospectively Speaking: Week 5
    Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 21:31
Firstly my apologies, I don't think the frock spot has ever been so late :(  Lots of family and work stuff taking priority at the moment which doesn't leave much time for blog posts.

But anyway, here I am and there you are, so lets take a deep breath and have a retrospective look at Week 5:

Kimberley: what a scorching little Salsa dress this was. Brilliant colour on the floor, it sparkled like mad under the lights. The mixture of red, orange and opaque orange stones gave a nice effect,the orange lending lots of warm tones.  The crystal border at the bosom and down the back was a nice contrast to the red, and the broad halterneck straps made Kimberley's shoulders look broader and so balanced her bottom half really well.  Speaking of which, it was nice to see a full skirt on her instead of those cutaways.  One last thing ... I didn't like the silver straps dangling down the back. Messy and dangerous in flight. Could have had PAsha's eye out! Overall though a tidy little dress. 

Denise: a very delicate pale green shade, that suited Denise's colouring, it looked very crisp and fresh on the floor with all that glorious beading dripping from the bust.  With such a lot going on up there, the rest of the bodice was very subtle, with peridot coloured stones being all that was required.  I think I might have replaced the gold beading with green though. A light wiring on the hem allowed the skirts to ripple beautifully when Denise twirled around. Unusual back, almost a racer-back in design.  The backs of ballroom gowns are probably seen more than the front, so it's always good to see something new and interesting going on there.

Fern: a bit Mumsy this one.  not overkeen on the colour and I think fern looked drained by it.  I know they were going for a Matador's jacket feeling with all the embellishments, but the gold was too brassy for this shade of blue and it was just too heavy a look. Although Fern has lost more weight, she is still top heavy, and the boat neck together with the heavy detailing took the eye sideways and added width.  This styling would have suited someone like Victoria, but not Fern.

Victoria: oh dear. I bet this sounded great as an idea and I bet it looked good on paper and I bet it would look fab on someone like Kristina, but it did not look all that good on Victoria.  Reminiscient of a corset in the vertical detailing which was bound at the waist, this really needed someone with a bigger bust to carry it off. The turnover on the pleated bust was clearly an attempt to balance out the dress and give the impression of a larger bosom, but it would have looked better on a more ample figure and with just the pleats.  And there was something about the frilled skirts (whichi I usually love) that didn't dance so well.  I reckon it was in the way the skirt was attached to the bodice, assymetrically, at the back. It was caught up a little on one side and I reckon this was why it looked odd in flight. When it comes down to it, this dress needed someone oozing confidence in order to carry it off and it was unfair to put it on Victoria as she is not that person yet.

Natalie: Oh I do love it when they dress Natalie like this. This soft buttery colour, with crystal and amber stones suits her down to the ground. With a tall dancer like Natalie, you can go all out on the skirt with tiered layers and frothy underskirts.  This style of dress would swamp someone like Dani.  The bodice is cut simply with a round neck and sensible shoulders, but the ruched fabric pieces that criss cross the bodice, going in and out of the stoned flowers, was stunning.  It danced wonderfully and looked especially good against Michaels pale grey tails.  Now for the bit I didn't like ... there was one too many floats! And the one I really hated was the one that just dangled from Natalie's shoulder.  In accents of the pales pink and dip dyed blue/green, it just hung there and didn't enhance the dress at all.  In fact, it just got in the way of the floats that came from the back of the skirt that were caught at Natalie's wrists.  These worked quite well and i don't mind this kind of float, they add a bit of whirl.  But the cascadefrom the shoulder should have been binned.  If I were wearing that I think I might have'accidentally' caught it on a doorknob seconds before taking the floor!

Kristina: another tiered frock, this time in coral.  A simple but very effective design feature in the tiered skirt - the slanted tiers adding interest and I liked how the seemingly random lengths of tier addedd shade to the skirt.  Another very simply cut bodice, this time using a holographic print fabric to add some background to the stones.  The stoning picked up the diagonal theme from the skirt and I liked the way that some of the stripes had solid edges while others looked as if they were disintegrating. And they were perfectly placed to accentuate Kristina's waist.  Lovely.

Erin: After all the froth and flounce of the other dresses, Erin's frock was a bit of a let down.  Quite boring in fact, but with Richard wearing pinstripes maybe this was deliberate. The skirt was quite nice, the sheer panels allowing a glimpse of leg without being too revealing, but it kind of felt like an evening dress rather than a ballroom gown.

Dani: Oh this was fun and flirty.  I don't much care for animal print fabrics but the styling of this dress was just lovely, that I can overlook that! Very buttoned up look, with a cute little peter pan collar and a pink bow.  On a taller girl this would look daft, but on Dani it was perfectly proportioned.  I also don't usually like pink, but there were just a few touches, enough to lift the animal print but not so much as to be overly girly.  The black bindong at the bottom of the skirt gave it a little weight, so than when Dani was spun it flared out well. Underneath the dress was a pink leotard, which i thought was redundant.  It didn't show through the semi-sheer fabric as much as you might have thought and when the skirt flew up, Dani looked like she was wearing really big pink knickers. Black would have been a better choice.  But I adore the little cap sleeves, which were a good choice to counteract Dani's rounded shoulders.  And nice to see Dani dancing in a pair of cuban heels!

Flavia: eye-wateringly bright cerise pink that suited Flavia. This was very similar to the champagne fringed dress she wore a few weeks back and i still dislike the cut of the skirt. i think it's a tad too long and would be greatly improved by the removal of that last row of fringing.  Of course these dresses go into overdrive with the merest movement, so it was perfect for the Samba.  You also can't get much decoration on a fringed dress, so a little sparkle around the waistband and shoulder straps is all that was possible.  I did like the top, the fringing was shaped well, front and back, in a gentle scoop echoing that of the waistband.

Karen: now this is a great example of a dress that looks stunning on the mannequin, but which is impractible to dance in. Lovely colour that looked really good on Karen with her black hair.  The lines from the accent colours snaked their was down the dress and if you trace a line from the shoulder down the black strip, you'll see that it flows seamlessly into the curve of the skirt hem. It's most noticeable on the back view, where the hemline is identical to the curve where the black strip meets the blue. It's a lovely design feature, but when Karen danced it became apparent that the splits were in the wrong place. When Karen extended her leg, the low split on one side wrenched the skirt over and resulted in the exposure of the crotch. Not very ladylike.

Lisa: getting a little more daring with her frocks, with some sheer fabric in the skirt to flash her legs.  Sticking with the empire line, which I think is right for her bodyshape, however with some structure and line in the skirt, rather than just leaving it billowing. A very subtle look was achieved by layering the sheer georgette over the heavily jewelled lace, diffusing the sparkle and adding depth to the dress.  They're still giving Lisa round necklines though and I would like to see more of a scooped or V neck as i think it would look better. 

So there we go, some absolutely stunning frocks and some frocky horrors.  I think my least favourite was Karens while the one I would love to be wearing is Natalie's (without the shoulder float though!). Stay tuned as I bring you up to date with week 6 later tonight!

What was your best and worst of week 5?

Edited by Thess - 12 Nov 2012 at 21:32
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
 Post Reply Post Reply