I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017 > Strictly Frocks
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spoooooky

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spoooooky
    Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 00:44
Here we are in week four, and it's already our second theme week. I hate theme weeks and I hate Halloween week even more, because we always get sub standard or plain daft costumes.

Here's what we got this weekend ....

Dani: Well wardrobe were up against it this week, trying to make Velma's look into a latin costume. I think they would have been better off using Daphne's costume for inspiration. Great colour (OK it HAD to be orange) and the bodice was cut nicely and decorated with restraint, which I think you have to do on a small body. But the fringing was sewn on a bit too low in my opinion and it made Dani look out of proportion. And don't get me started on those socks!

Erin: I liked the sheer bodice with the jet and crystal stoning. The braid looped around to form lapels was a nice touch, very reminiscent of bullfighters jackets. But I disliked the skirt and in fact this was a short latin fringed number with a separate skirt tied around the waist. When she stood still, the frilling peeking through the skirt at the front made it look like she was wearing a merkin (look it up if you're feeling brave!).

Ola: Meh. Awful colour and I know it's the ghostbusters uniform colour, but this is exactly why these theme weeks should be got rid of. The costumes are either silly or compromised. It wouldn't have mattered how many sequins they stuck on that costume, those shorts would still look hideous.

KAren: fab colour and I loved the shaping of this frock, the layered nets, almost deconstructed, just floated round the floor. I thought the jet beads on the shoulders were a nice alternative to floats, but I didn't understand the grey lace over the bust. Why introduce this colour when black lace would have made more sense? Could have done without the black half belt too.

Fern: Velvet is an ideal material to cover a less than perfect figure, as the matt finish disguises lumps/bumps in a way that shiny satin doesn't. I loved the deep plum colour and the toned lace brocade was stunning. Loved how it shaped and drew the eye. But there was just too much material. Fern had sheer sleeves plus floats in a sort of cape style draping. With a skirt heavy with godets, Fern looked swamped. I would have gone with either sleeves or floats and would have cut the bodice lower down and gone with a fishtail shape.

Denise: If she was meant to be a tiger, then why did she look like a Zebra on it's way to a party? Awful dress, on a par with Erins caravan curtains. These kind of dresses don't move, so the dancer has to be a great mover herself. There's also nowhere to hide poor technique and I'm afraid that this dress drew attention to Denise's bad points.

Natalie: oh what did the make up ladies do to our lovely Tina Sparkle? They made her look like she has a bad squint. This siver and white shimmy dress would have been perfect for a Salsa, but the addition of a single layer, wafty chiffon skirt, does not a ballroom gown make. Another compromise of a dress, designed to fit a small joke at the start of the routine, but not to carry the rest of the dance. Does DSI have apprentices making the Halloween dresses? Because so far most of them have been amateurish and stupid. And can I just mention Michael's tailsuit ... which was cut very badly indeed. Certainly not a Ron Gunn.

Victoria: bloody hell, it's Morticia meets the Andrex puppies. I wonder how many rolls of toilet paper they used to wrap her up? Not much to this frock. Layers of tattered net and some chains from B&Q. Awful.

Lisa: nice to see they have lowered Lisa's top bust line. It looks so much better. The green under black sheer stockinette with spiders webs was a nice flash of colour and good to see a wider neck, but I did not like the cape. I also didn't like the green tights and would have preferred black.

Kristina: more sheer black body stocking, must have got a job lot. I noted the similarities to Erin's bodice, and I have to wonder if they might have recycled costumes from a group number?! Kristina is wearing her merkin back to front however. She looked fabulously slinky in this number but it's another dress that is a compromise to fit in with her being a cat.

Flavia: finally they've put her in something that doesn't look like a twelve year old's dress. The shape of this frock is lovely, and I like the off centre decoration. That shade of green is unusual but it works with the black and white, but I don't like the grey lace they have used. If it had been black, the dress would have looked so much classier.

Kimberley: gorgeous shade of blue, unfortunately that's the only thing that commended this dress. As part of a latin dress, the top would work really well, and are these cut out hips becoming Kimberley's trademark? They might be fine for latin but, and I don't care if this makes me sound like a snob, they look vulgar in a ballroom gown.

So there we go. The worst week yet. I have no favourite gown this week because I think they were all spoiled for having to fit in with a theme or portray a certain character. Let's hope for a return to classier frocks next week.
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
Tango View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote Tango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 10:23
Thess a wonderful interpretation of what was probably the worst week for costuming!!!.
Last week they used lots of ex-sponsor girsl dresses and this week - heck knows where they were let loose.

I noticed Michaels talisuit too - the BBC use Tony Brackleys for the menswear i believe. So made me smile that somebody else remembers good old Ron Gunn :o)

Enticer
Enticer

Quote littlesue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 11:24
Agree about Kimberley's cut outs in her dresses, we know she has a flat somach and wide hips but we don't have to keep seeing it!!
Crube666 View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote Crube666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 16:37
To be honest, I'd rather not see it...

I miss the proper flowing gowns...

Thought Lisa looked great, apart from the green tights... I thnk she's got great legs, and a black, or even a really dark green would have set them off lovely (Sorry, don't mind me, I'll wipe the drool up when I go....)

The rest were eminantly forgetable....
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 19:04
Originally posted by Tango

Thess a wonderful interpretation of what was probably the worst week for costuming!!!.
Last week they used lots of ex-sponsor girsl dresses and this week - heck knows where they were let loose.

I noticed Michaels talisuit too - the BBC use Tony Brackleys for the menswear i believe. So made me smile that somebody else remembers good old Ron Gunn :o)

Thanks for the kind words Tango - glad you enjoy the frock spot! Ah yes, a Ron Gunn tailsuit was very much an object of desire back in my day. Hopefully still is, because I don't think that Brackleys are doing themselves any favours with what they are putting the celebs in!

I did wonder about Iveta's beautiful silver and grey gown from a couple of weeks back. You see some motifs' repeating when so many costumes are made so close together and that dress stuck out like a sore thumb. A beautiful one though!
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 20:18
My fav dress was Vicky's White Wedding dress,
my worst was Dani's just emphasised her 'thunder' thighs imo (which i have, so would never wear a dress in that length) very unflattering for her.
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
littlesue View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote littlesue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 20:53
i see Dani had liposuction last week because people on the Internet were on about how fat she was even though she is only a size 6.  Lisa wore a shorter dress last week and her thighs are 10 times the size of Dani's!!
 Post Reply Post Reply