I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Celebritain.com Entertainment Forum > Television and Film
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Classic movies at the cinema

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classic movies at the cinema
    Posted: 23 July 2013 at 01:08
I saw 42nd Street last night at the cinema. It wasn't well advertised and I only saw it on the cinema's website by chance. We got our champagne and canapes before the movie snd my sisters and I had the whole cinema to ourselves. It was great to see the Busby Berkeley dances on the big screen, particularly the overhead shots.
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 12:55
The GFT in Glasgow does this from time to time. The last one I went to see there was Now Voyager with Bette Davis. My friend talked me into going and I'm glad I went because I loved it.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 07:27
I did get to see Robyn Hood on Tuesday. One of the regulars on Monday couldn't see it on Monday night either so we both enjoyed it on Tuesday.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 18:16
The other classic films I have seen this year at my local cinema included "Casablanca", "Meet Me In St Louis", "African Queen", "The Philadephia Story" (Katharine Hepburn and James Stewart) and "Gone With The Wind". I am going to miss "Robyn Hood" with Errol Flynn this month as it clashes with another commitment I have. This cinema charges $28, but they feed us before the movie starts with copious amounts of hot finger foods and a couple of glasses of wine included. Its on at night so it covers dinner. They repeat the movie without the food the following day for $8 or $10 for those who can't get there at night.

We do see some of the same people there and we get to talk about the movie as amateur film buffs. Its good fun and entertainment.

Edited by MargiABC - 29 Oct 2012 at 01:55
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 17:59
I have been to see several classic movies at the cinema this year. I know they are available on DVD, but these are movies made before I was born and I can see them on the big screen as they were when first shown. They are digital prints, so the quality is good and not in wide screen so you see everything as intended. I saw "Singing in the Rain" yesterday and the owner of the cinema said that if it were in wide screen we would not see their feet in the dancing sequences. It was $25 to see this movie which sounds expensive to see an old movie, but the cinema promotes it as 'Sunday Stage and Screen'. Its the first one of this series I have seen and the stage part is a live band playing music of the 1920s and 1930s to compliment the movie. That started at 1.30pm. They played for over an hour then we had 15 minutes for intermission so they can bump out, followed by the movie. We didn't leave until after 5pm. It was a very pleasant way to spend a Sunday afternoon in a place called the Empire Theatre in Bowral. That was the last one for the year and in March 2013 they kick off with "Roman Holiday" and will have a band playing Italian music. I will definitely be going again. Its only on once a month.
Bowral is about a 65 km drive from my place, but its a nice town for tourists and it has some great food there too. The drive there to see the movie was pretty good as it it mainly freeway the whole way.

Edited by MargiABC - 28 Oct 2012 at 18:28
 Post Reply Post Reply