I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017 > Strictly Frocks
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Curtains and Loo Rolls - Show 3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Curtains and Loo Rolls - Show 3
    Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 00:16
My apologies folks, for the later than late frock spot.  Due to family stuff happening over the weekend, there hasn't been much time for blogging let alone watching the spangly stuff float about on screen!  Anyway, here we are and off we go .....

In no particular order:

Denise: keeping the Toy Story colours of Jessie's cowgirl outfit, this was a composite dress that almost but didn't quite manage to look the part.  The lace bodice, with the stones and pearls, was gorgeous, but looked at odds with the white chiffon blouse look top.  The turquoise blue of the skirt was a lovely choice of colour, but just looked like an off the peg skirt you might pick up for practice.  Not her best look but we should be glad they didn't make her wear chaps!

Danni: this ice blue looked lovely against Danni's colouring and the subtle nod to Dorothy's gingham dress, in the criss cross stones on the bodice was a nice touch.  I didn't mind the red belt, as obviously she needed to be wearing red shoes and needed something red in the dress for balance, but I could have done without the red floats.  Too much.  But I adored the fluttery sleeves, that disguised Danni's round shoulders without being clumpy or swamping her.  Lovely length too, in what was overall a lovely little mover.

Jerry: I liked the use of different textures in the same colour - the stoned bodice a jazzy contrast to the plain skirt and then the sheer sleeves giving a hint of skin, but it was more an evening dress than a ballroom gown. Jerry looked lovely when standing still, but in flight around the floor, the dress got stuck in between her legs and the knicker lines over her hips showed. I quite liked the design feature at the back, the criss cross ribbons, as it was a contrast to the demure cut of the front, but I think the dress was, overall, too short on Jerry.  A couple more inches on the skirt would have been much better.

Karen: another latin style bodice on a ballroom gown. Bah! OK, I did like the skirt, layer upon layer of pastel shades, yellow, pale blue, green, all mingled in a hazy shimmer. Some nice stoning over the hips makes the transition from bodice to skirt a little softer, and I loved the beading down the centre of the bodice, although it was a little lost when they went into hold. It danced really well, thanks to the overlocking on the hem of the skirts. It's enough to make the topskirts ruffle and is a more subtle technique than wiring. 

Lisa: very similar to her Cha Cha dress in the skirt - I think it's a good idea to keep giving her the fringed shimmy style dresses. Lisa would look like a toilet doll if they dressed her in flounces (remember Widdecombe's abominable Paso dress? Yuk!) The fringing behaves itself, skims the body and looks wonderful in flight.  I liked the lace, flecked with red sequins, but I would have liked to have seen a 'v' neck to echo the line over the bust. I felt the round neck lookee very restrictive.  Also, I would have liked that red bust line to have been an inch or so lower - it would have minimised Lisa's bust a little.  But another nice mover.

Krinstina: bloody hell! It looked like two strips of loo roll held in place with some sparkly masking tape!  I liked the two-tone effect with the elegant black at the front (well, as elegant as  you can be with half your body out!) and the scarlet back - it emphasised the changes in direction through the dance and it was quite a juxtaposition of demure top and set-your-stall-out bottom! Not a lot of this dress to judge really, but Kristina looked amazing and it showed off her legs and how controlled and precise her footwork is.

Fern: not a million miles away from her red number of last week.  The same shaping in the dress, just shorter, and with the godets starting higher on the hips.  The same decoration in the bodice, to draw the eye in and downwards, and which highlights how toned Fern is becoming.  The sleeves were a lovely way for her to cover up her arms without bulk and it was light, flirty and suited her perfectly.

Erin:  Erin usually looks very classy and this outfit was no exception. Well tailored trousers, crisp white shirt with a sparkly cummerbund, she looked very elegant. But this was better saved for an evening out. Wear trousers in the practice room all you like Erin, but on the dancefloor?  A no-no in my book.  I think they make the lady look odd and highlights those less than perfect lines.  Still, at least Erin looked better in her kecks than Ola did in hers last year!

And talking of which ...

Ola: what a mess!  Still, it probably shaved a bit off the costs as I'm sure she's worn that lace catsuit a few times before!  I reckong they stitched some velcro dots on it and shoved Ola into the fabric hamper to see what stuck. And then stitched it there!  You know, Ola can wear pretty much anything and look fabulous, but the lace they used on her legs did her no favours at all - the horizontal bands just intersected her legs and made her look dumpy. Possibly the worst frock of the night.

Victoria: oh what a shame.  The dress was stunning in it's simplicity. Nicely cut in the body,  the diagonal lines showed off her height well, while the ruching at one side gave her some curves. I thought the gold bands at the bottom were a nice feature, saving the dress from being too much of one, quite dark, blue.  But that blessed swatch of chiffon was the fly in the ointment.  This draped look can look stunning on the floor and in spins and quick changes in direction, it can really accentuate the movement.  But I know some experienced dancers who wouldn't touch a dress like that, for fear of how that drape might behave.  Poor old Vic got tangled up in it and I think it wrong footed her.  I wonder how many times she did a full dress rehearsal?

Kimberley: ooh very nearly a gorgeous dress! I loved the length and the sheer black tulle over the scarlet skirts was unusual and knocked back the vibrancy of the red, saving the colour from wearing Kimberley.  And the bustier was nice too, a little bit of flash on the straps was an elegant touch.  If only they had joined the two together with a bit more dress, it would have been perfect!  But it danced really well and I reckon that the popularity of this length this year, has a lot to do with Chelsea Healy's blue Pan Am style Quickie frock from last series.  Anyway, it moved nicely and suited the overall look from the movie they were portraying.

Natalie: OK, it's time for DSI to be straight with us.  They've clearly got a job lot of 50's poodle skirts to shift.  There wasn't much decoration, because the look was really all about the flashes of zingy yellow under the silvery white skirt.  Natalie uses her skirrts very well  ('cause I completely disagree with Len and like a bit of skirt swishing meself!) and she looked like a whirl of lemon meringue.  Natalie really suited this and carried it off well.

Ooh one last minute edit to include Flavia (how could I miss her off!). Well it was pretty much Baby's pink dress with some sequins and a frill around the top.  The delicate colour looked divine on Flavia, but even though she is another dancer who would look good in a hessian sack, again they've given her something that is far too juvenile. Another dress that would look perfect teamed with regulation shoes and ankle socks.  Come on DSI - start dressing her in something that is a bit more jaw-dopping (and I mean in a good way).

So there you go.  I think with theme weeks like this, some quality is often sacrificed in favour of fitting in with the theme.  So this week wasn't the best for the frocks. God help us next week ... it's Halloween themeEvil

The worst of the night in my opinion was Ola, while my favourite was Victoria's. 

What was your best and worst?

Edited by Thess - 23 Oct 2012 at 00:36
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 01:00
I look forward to this every week and agree with alot you have written Thess worst dress by far was Ola's just all wrong for her and dress I  liked best was Dani's 
Crube666 View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote Crube666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2012 at 07:01
I don't consider myself an expert, but I still have an opinion (no? Really? I hear you cry incredulously!)

Thought Ola's was awful, and unimaginative, Sid looked awkward thoughout...

Lisa's was really nice, but I agree that a little less emphasis on her boobs... really didn't like her hair though. Having said that, I do prefer longer hair anyway so i may be slighly biased...

Erin, no. Just no. Don't get me wrong, i'm not one of those guys who dislikes women in trousers, but there's a time and place, and in the ballroom he ladies should be in a lovely gown... same goes for them bloomin 'orrible csatsuit thingumijgs...

Post Reply Post Reply