I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017 > Strictly Frocks
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Salsa and Strops - Show 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salsa and Strops - Show 2
    Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 23:16
So, programme two and already we're having murder over the frocks! 

It was reported that Jerry threw a strop over a very lovely blue number that was elegant and unfussy, over which was a crochet effect black top.  With lots of sparkling jet and billowy sleeves, this would have complimented Jerry's complexion and figure and would have danced most wonderfully.  But she brought her own in.  Allegedly. We'll get to that later!

Anyway, here we go, in no particular order ......
Karen: This was little more than a sleek and spangly leotard.  She looked nice, but I don't think these sort of costumes dance particularly well on the floor and are best left for exhibition dances, of the sort that Hannah and Victor do. 

Natalie: another costume best left for a showdance. The sparkly chicken wire stretched over Natalies shorts was used last year on one of Chelsea's dresses. I didn't like it then either!  Now Natalie did look lovely, she can certainly carry this sort of thing off, but it didn't say 'Latin' or 'Jive' to me. Mind you, her long legs certainly distracted from her partners efforts to keep up, so it did it's job!

Flavia: What a lovely shape to this frock, very cutesy and prom-like. The dipped hemline and tiered skirt were danced nicely.  The very pale lemon colour looked so fresh but I wasn't fussed on the flashes of pink and pale blue in the nets.  This was echoed in the colours of the ribbon belt and bow, which I also wasn't fussed on.  Now although I really liked the shape and cut, I think this was far too young a style for Flavia.  I can see this being worn by a younger girl wearing ankle socks and regulation sandals.  Flavia deserves something far more grown up. 

Jerry: OK, this white dress was apparently brought in by Jerry herself. The gown, which featured a pleated overskirt with a feathered underskirt, looked very 1990's in it's style.  The bodice was cut very nicely and of course with Jerry's height, the floats hung from the shoulders well. But the problem with feathered bottoms (ooh-err missus!) is that they hide the feet and so it was with Jerry. Perhaps this was deliberate?  But something about the story in the papers doesn't ring true. For starters the journalist gets the dance and the song completely wrong. Hmmm porkies somewhere! 

Kimberly: Tiered ballroom skirts are definitely trending this year!  Clever really, Kimberley's wide thighs are disguised by the cascading asymmetric frills, leaving only her slender waist on show. Cut a little low in the back for me, it also means that there cannot be much support offered for the bust, hence the wrinkling and gapping down the sides of the bodice. A bit long, it was hard to see her feet at times and I'm not sure she suits black terribly well. 

Lisa: It can be terribly hard to dress a large lady for ballroom.  If you go with a structured gown she can look a bit like Mrs Tiverton from the Joyce Grenfell poem. But go unstructured and you get the 'stuck in a net curtain' option. Neither is a terrific look.  Lisa's empire line dress, was a great choice. The square neckline with it's deep stoned border, did a great job of minimising her bust and the skirt started from the smallest bit of Lisa's torso - under the bust.  It skimmed her waist and hips nicely and the length was good too.  Keeping the top bejewelled and her fabulous hairstyle, kept the focus firmly at the top. Very nice.

Fern: Another clever little dress that used optical illusions to create a svelte silhouette.  The off the shoulder cut of the neckline balances out the flared bottom and the shaping of the stoning and the deep 'v' shapes of the bodice, all draw the eye in and downward.  This dress is actually the opposite of Lisa's - Fern is top heavy but is not getting a slimmer waist, so all the focus was on the bottom half of the dress.  The matt bodice gives way to a very busy floral lace. It danced very well and I liked this very much.  I have to mention her hairstyle though. A low chignon will only highlight issues with head placement and posture. Fern  would look much better with her hair up and away from the nape of her neck.

Ivana: This was a beautiful shimmering creation that moved really well, owing to the sunray pleats and a lot of frothy underskirts.  Grey isn't a colour I especially like on the dancefloor, but the grey skirts saved the metallic fabric from looking too much on the floor.  The asymmetric design elongated Iveta's body and the stoning was beautifully intricate.  The one float was beatifully placed (and you know me by know, I don't like them very much) and beacuse it draped from the hip and caught up on her arm, it swirled in harmony with the skirts.  I am not entirely sure this was made by DSI ...

Erin: Once in a while you see a costume and the only thing that goes through your head is ... "what were they thinking?!".  This was such a costume.  Richard Arnold tweeted earlier in the day that they were going to be wearing curtains from a 1977 caravan.  He wasn't wrong. This was essentially a bacofoil corset onto which was attached said 1977 curtain fabric, with some ribbons up the sides and the fring of your Mum's standard lamp.  Awful, absolutely awful.  It didn't dance at all well but it did have one saving grace, it detracted from Erin's disgraceful latin dancing. Job done.

Ola: More fringing, this time of the knotted variety.  I like the way fringing dances on the floor and how it behaves itself on the body, staying sleek and skimming the curves.  I'm just not that taken with the macrame style knotted fringe that we have seen so far this year.  The rest was traditional Ola-style jewelled bikini top and belt. I'm also not struck with the mix and match dresses, and would have preferred the top to have carried some of the colour of the skirt.  Both colours look great on Ola, but with her blond hair cascading down, the top might have looked better in the salmon pink.

Danni: And we're even getting tiered skirts in the Latin department too!  But I liked this dress very much, very 'old school' in it's styling.  The tiered skirts bounced and flounced their way through the Salsa, adding lots of movement.  Wardrobe again keeping the decoration to a minimum, which I think is wise given how petitte Danni is.  One criticism though, halter necks accentuate Danshoulders and not in a good way.  She has very rounded shoulders and not a great deal of definition to her arms.  Don't misunderstand me, I think she has a lovely figure and in my opinion small, compact and womanly dancers are much more pleasing to watch than tall waifs, but the halter neck was wrong for her. 

Kristina: A gorgeous pale pink number that looked beautiful with Kristina's colouring.  Very simple in the cut, but I think the skirt is probably a little thin.  The stoning was a mixture of crystal and rose, giving some depth and I liked the way the stoned gradually spread out the further down the gown they went.  Keeping the cummerbund plain was a good idea, with so much stoning above and below, it had the effect of pulling her in even more.  Simple and classy.

Denise: A very preppy number inspired by 1950's poodle skirts.  Red pops on the floor and is always a winner in my eyes.  The skirts was nicely cut in a short fit and flare and with all the lacy underskirts, it accentuated the flicks and kicks to good effect.  The white edging gave the top some interest but I wasn't fussed on the belt and think it might have looked better without, but given the low cut in the back, it may have been needed to pull the dress in and save anyone's blushes.

Overall there were some clever dresses there and one doozy.  My favourite on the night, was Iveta's. What was yours? 
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 12:10
My favourites were Iveta's and I did like Jerry's too, but she could wear a bin -bag and look good. If it was her dress, looked like it had a bit of elastic stitched in at the front, for dancing purposes, to stop any revealing moments.
Just thought of the word 'marabou' isn't that the fur trim (auntie was a milliner)
I had it sown on to lots of my bridesmaids dresses in the 60's!! (had much older cousins and sisters, so as a 5/6/7 year old was 5x bridesmaids!!- mother- dressmaker, made them all)-sadly i picked up nothing from her.
Hated Lisa's by the way, it looked like a nightie to me

just remembered I also liked Kimberley's too., loved it from the front the most, altho preferred her dress from last week out of the two (that was my fav last week)
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 12:19
in Ballroom it is 99% Ostrich feather that is used on ballroom dresses
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 16:09
Oh dear, I completely forgot about Victoria's frock!  Which is in no way a refelction of my opinion on it!

Tiered, yet again. Come on DSI - can we see something a little different next week ... hmmm? Overall a nice little number. The lilac looked lovely against her colouring and the madly contrasting sash of stoned flowers across the bodice has grown on me since I first saw it on Saturday.  I think there was so much lilac it definitely needed something to make it pop on the floor.  But I think I would have taken out the bright cerise pink I think it was one shade that didn't totally work for me.  And the bloody floats!   Whereas Iveta's float actually did something and added flight to the dress, these squares of chiffon just hung from Victoria's arms and didn't really do anything.  I think if you're going for a float, it needs to be attached somewhere else in addition to the arm.  But overall I thought it danced well and the dress looked more proportionate than last weeks'.

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
littlesue View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote littlesue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2012 at 21:21
I agree with you Thess about Dani's halter neck, she has the same small sloping shoulders I have and I have never looked good in halter necks.  She looks curvier than she actually is because she has stiffish legs and arms, her actual body is quite tiny.  She was saying in The Sun that she has had some nasty stuff on her Facebook saying how fat she was but she was only a size 6.
 Post Reply Post Reply