I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017 > Strictly Frocks
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First Impressions - Part 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Impressions - Part 2
    Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 14:11
Here we go again, for the second part of the debut frocks and, as ever, it was a mixed bag ...

Kimberley: she has a slender frame but the tops of her thighs are wider than her hips, so her dress was nicely cut away at the hips to show them off, while her thighs were skimmed over with fringing. The addition of sparkly straps kept the eye going to the hip area and away from the wide bit. Also the hourglass shape that the coral material was fashioned into, accentuated her shape and again, took the eye inwards.  Nice frothy shade of coral pink that suited Kimberly and the fringing adding movement where it was needed.

Ola: lovely shades of ice blue that suited Ola's colouring, but Ola is very fond of the two-piece dress in ballroom whereas it is not to my taste.  The skirt was similar to Karens' Waltz gown, the sheer material being used to add a little shimmer to the gown. The draped chiffon over the bust diffused the sparkle from the stones which was quite nice, but that chiffon and the float just got in the way and, at times, Ola looked as if she had got herself tangled up in her Grandma's net curtains. Not a clean look, it spoiled a lot of her lines.

Lisa: it is easy to dress a tiny little person in spangles and a bit of feather, much harder to dress a larger lady. What might look good when standing can sometimes look awful on the move (actually Ola's dress is a good example of that), but in Lisa's case I think they got  it about right.  Nice length in the skirt and the use of sparkle fringe and crystal drops kept the dress nicely skimming her figure and tricking the eye with lots of movement.  Lisa has very broad shoulders and a large bosom, so the matt black wraparound shrug effect on top was a good choice to minimise this. A little sparkle round the neck was all that was needed. I was in two minds about the bow, but the tails did take the eye downwards and I'm glad that it was off centre. She looked comfortable and confident, and she rocked it.

Erin: Oh what a glorious gown, Erin does often have the best ones and this was exquisite. Clean crisp shades of green, variegated in the layers of skirt and finished with an irridescent topskirt, that had a very subtle pattern in the weave, made this simply shimmer on the floor. The bodice was beautifully decorated with a mixture of stones, beads and pearls, which I thought was very understated.  I love the cut of the bodice too, being lower at the back to really show off the curve of Erin's back. The way the lace on the bodice was trimmed to soften the seam with the skirt and ensure a clean line, was nicely done. 

Dani: another lovely silhouette, with the cut similar to Erins but with a off centre ruched bodice.  It showed off Dani's back wonderfully. With a petitte dancer you often have to re-think dress decoration, simply because there is not so much dress to decorate! Wardrobe kept it simple with Dani's dress, limiting the sparkles to the bust and down the ruched seam. The sheer edging frill and what looked like very lightweight wiring at the bottom hem was a nice touch, adding a little froth and ensured that the hem rippled beautifully in flight.

A quick word about wired hems - they really took off in the 70's and every dressmaker I knew, would get their wire at their local fishing takle shop.  There were loads of different thicknesses and it was much cheaper than getting from dressmaking suppliers, and I often wondered if the shop owners knew what the wire was being used for!

Jerry: Well, she would look sensational in a bin bag! Happily though they gave her a proper dress to wear and this wouldn't have looked out of place in a swanky cocktail bar.  Everything about it accentuated her height; the long fringing, the plunge neckline, the asymmetric stoned panel across the middle and the one shouldered collar.  I noticed that at rehearsal this was white, but I'm glad wardrobe swapped it at the last minute for a black one. Much nicer for it. But, and it has to be said, I think this dress looked like it was knocked up quickly, compared to some of the other creations. I have often thought that wardrobe must know which celebs aren't expected to last the course and perhaps don't want to invest a lot of time and effort in their costumes.  Or maybe I'm wrong and Jerry asked for something she could wear aferwards. Who knows!

Flavia: now Flav has been put in some doozy's and some delights and her dress tonight was like the curates egg. I loved the champagne colour on her, it dazzled on the floor and really came to life. I thought the skirt was cut a little too long and being a straight hem, it looked frumpy on Flav. If it had been cut to a point or even cut a few inches higher, it would have looked better.  I also didn't like the bit of fringing that ran up her back. It was unecessary and just flapped about.

Iveta: a lovely little bouncy number for the new girl, absolutely dripping with crystal drops. One of these dresses that look very demure, with a high neckline, but on the move you see that the split down the back of the bodice and it's loose cut, means that you get glimpses of the dancers back. Not sure about the two gaps in the fringing at the thighs, I would have preffered it to have been cut straight across.  I wonder if this is her own dress, or if it was actually cut for Aliona?

My favourite of the evening has to be Erin's stunning green gown. What was yours?

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 14:19
have to agree re Erins dress def the best
littlesue View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote littlesue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 14:37
Definatly Erins, maybe because she is a bit older than the other dancers they don't make her look like a stripper or lap dancer.  Hated Ola's 2 piece.
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 18:05
Originally posted by littlesue

Definatly Erins, maybe because she is a bit older than the other dancers they don't make her look like a stripper or lap dancer.  Hated Ola's 2 piece.

I believe that Erin has a little more say in her ballroom gowns than some of the others and they generally always do look a lot more elegant.  It was gorgeous though Bren, wasn't it?!

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
Tango View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote Tango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 09:50
Oh dear i think i must be the only one who was not so keen on Erins dress. It was a funny looking colour on screen a sort of green with maybe white or yellow underskirts, but i was not sure if there actually was yellow in there.
The other thing that "bothered" me was why the yellow flower. I therefore came to the realisation the underskirts were probably yellow and were meant to match. I may have gone full out with a yellow dress then and kept the green creation until later in the show.
Enticer
Enticer

Quote littlesue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 13:41
I was reading in a mag today about the Strictly dresses. The dressmakers were saying they know the end of June who will be in so they make all the dresses there and then for each Celeb and Pro dancer.  If the dancer gets knocked out they don't get to wear the remaining dresses they get sold off.
 Post Reply Post Reply