I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017 > Strictly Frocks
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First Impressions - Part 1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Impressions - Part 1
    Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 02:43
Good evening and welcome to the sparkly bit of the Blue Room, where we talk about the real stars of Strictly ... the frocks!

As we know, DSI have got the gig for another year and there is an awful lot of hard work that goes into the design and creation of just one dress, let alone the number that is required for a season of Strictly.  And although their wardrobe elves don't always get it right, I think kudos is due to all the ladies who have sewn, stoned, pleated, ruched, laced, pinned, feathered and ruffled and who have probably had borderline psychadelic dreams each night for the past four months, about dancing sequins! So let's have a look at tonight's creations ...

Fern: it's sometimes difficult to dress an older lady - if there are no body issues, then there is the question; "is this age appropriate?". Fern looked lovely tonight in a purply/blue number that was cut very nicely in a fit and flare style.  The wired hem flipped the skirt out and had a lot of movement, bouncing merrily along as Fern danced and it balanced her broad shoulders and top heavy bosom very well indeed.  It was a good length but still allowed for a flash of leg, which I think is appropriate for an older dancer. Fern is a box shape and doesn't have much of a waist, but the clever stoning took the eye inwards and gave the illusion of a smaller waist. Overall this was a nice little frock.

Karen: at first I thought this was gamboge in colour (a colour favoured by my school art teacher) but when Karen moved to the judges table, I saw the skirt was actually canary yellow. Not a huge fan of canary yellow, but it looked nice on her.  Now I like my ballroom gowns to look classy and elegant and save the skimpy stuff for the latin, so I wasn't fussed over the cut of the bodice.  The stoning work was glorious though, crystal curlicues with yellow and amber stones, gave this some light and shade and it looked stunning under the lights.  The ruffled skirt was interesting, being sheer panels over a full length underskirt. This gave it lightness and an extra dimension in depth and colour, rather than being just one flat colour all over. I thought it looked better on the move than when standing.  Overall I liked the component parts, but would have prefered it to be cut higher at the back.

Natalie: I don't usually like red on blondes but I thought Natalie suited this.  The silhouette is very old style ballroom gown and it danced beautifully. The swathe of chiffon over the shoulder, drawn down across the bust, met the material caught up from the skirt and tied bodice and skirt together nicely. Very understated stoning, sticking with red on red, gave this a classy look. And I think we have the first trend of Strictly 2012 - the sheer topskirt! Natalie's topskirt was full length over layers of net, again adding a little light and shade to the skirt and relieving the skirt from being a large expanse of flat colour. Lovely.

Kristina: I really like the unusual colour of the fringed skirt. Bronze is a weird colour, not everyone can carry it off, but Kristina has had a few frocks now using this colour and she wears them well.  It wasn't much more than strips of fabric twisting round her body, I thought the silver stones on the bust were out of place and would have preferred  a more complimentary colour.  But I liked the overall effect of the dress ... what there was of it!

Victoria: trouser suits are not for everyone. They are unforgiving and show up bad leg and hip action, whereas a cleverly cut skirt can cover a multitude of sins. Sadly, Victoria's hip action was non existant and she had nothing to hide behind in these slinky pants.  I love hot clashing latin colours and she looked lovely in the costume.  Everything about it was designed to play up her slender frame, the pantsuit itself, the splits in the legs, the vertical stoning on the bodice, the halter neck style. But she doesn't have any hips and would have done better in something with wired frills caught up at the hip.  A great costume for a night out at Studio 54 but not for Cha Cha.

Denise: classy looking, in pale and paler shades of lemon. It looked very crisp on the floor. But there was something about the placement of those fringed chevrons that looked wrong. I think the top one should have been over the bust or under the bust, but not starting ON the bust.  Also the hem line at the bottom of the bodice was a bit severe. Having set up the bodice wth chevrons, to cut the bodice straight at the bottom seems clumsy. I think this would have been nicer as a full dress with no seperate bodice/skirt. Also I thought the colour of the stones across the straps and bodice top looked out of place. If that colour had featured elsewhere in the dress then it would have looked fine, but as it stands they looked very odd.  Shame - her launch night frock was so so classy and I was expecting more of the same tonight.

So that's tonight's frocks, some good and one less so. Can't wait to see what is in store for us tomorrow (I didn't see the parade down the stairs tonight, so have no clue what the others might be wearing. Ooh it's more exciting this way!

My dress of the night was Natalie's - what's yours?

Edited by Thess - 06 Oct 2012 at 10:09
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 03:08
thanks Thess, as always a great read and agree re all the dresses my fave was Kristinas
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 11:28
I liked the new pro's  dress but not too sure about her. Unless she pulls something out of the bag and makes the final three I feel she won't be here next year.

Edited by Toots - 06 Oct 2012 at 11:29
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 11:36
there is no doubt of her dancing credentials etc but she comes over as a bit too confident and full of herself imo
nicky\'sgirl337 View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote nicky\'sgirl337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 12:46
I'm desperate for Nicky to win, but Karen seemed a bit full of herself. Boisterous American is the only thing I can think of. But I absolutely loved her dress. I thought it was beautiful.
Nicky Byrne for Strictly champion 2012!
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 10:13
Pity they ran out of fabric half way through making tess's dress
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 18:07
Originally posted by Toots

Pity they ran out of fabric half way through making tess's dress

LOL
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 18:08
Originally posted by nicky\'sgirl337

I'm desperate for Nicky to win, but Karen seemed a bit full of herself. Boisterous American is the only thing I can think of. But I absolutely loved her dress. I thought it was beautiful.

Oh the stoning on the bodice was indeed beautiful. nod
 Post Reply Post Reply