I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Celebritain.com Entertainment Forum > Television and Film
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Howzat - Kerry Packer's War

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Howzat - Kerry Packer's War
    Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 05:31
I don't know if this will screen in the UK but this mini series premiered on Australian TV last night and topped the ratings. Its the story of how Kerry Packer, the late media magnate, in the 1970s overhauled cricket and started World Series Cricket, forming an Australian team with the best players and getting Tony Greig who was the English captain at the time to sign on players from England, India, West Indies and Pakistan to play. the International Cricket Board and the cricket boards of each nation involved were dead against it. Packer did try to compromise with the boards. One of the reasons he started it was that the players at the time could not make a decent living playing cricket, but the cricket boards were making huge profits from the games.

I remember World Series Cricket. The teams didn't wear white, but each team had team coloured uniforms. Ours was yellow and green and the games didn't go for days or weeks as in a test match. Packer started night cricket in order to have more spectators involved. It would start at 3 or 4 pm and finish at 10 pm and played under lights.

I am not a cricket fan, but the 2 part mini series is excellent. I am looking forward to the final episode. Its a blast from the past - the longer hair and moustaches of the 70s and some names I haven't heard for a while - Dennis Lily, Geoff Thompson, Rod Marsh, Greg Chappell.

I guess this was the forerunner of 20 / 20 cricket.
 Post Reply Post Reply