I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Chat
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aussie cities

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 01:16
The worst suburbs affected by the storms were Malabar, Kiama and Narellan not far from me. Apparently some of the roofs torn off in Kiama had asbestos in them so they had to have an enviro hazard clean up there. Today's news said that parts of.Randwick was also damaged in the storm yesterday.

Edited by MargiABC - 25 Feb 2013 at 06:10
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 06:20
When we were in Manchester last year my sistet and I had dinner in Chinatown. It was a night where dinner was not included in the tour. My sister had researched restaurants that could cater gluten free and this one did. I can't remember what it was called.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 20:53
There are lots (Chinese Restaurants) in Manchester, when i worked there we would go for Dim sums/ lunches etc.

Can't remember the names either.
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 07:47
I did my midwifery training in Coventry and was very lucky to work with a bunch of Malay nurses. They used to cook like a dream.. One would rush over to the nurses home at lunch time and prep the meal then they spent all evening cooking. They often inviting me for a meal and I've never forgotten. They could make a cabbage taste divine. Since then I've loved Eastern/Oriental food but sadly, in many cases here, the 'takeaway' tastes nothing like  cooked for a family
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 14:20
I love having yum cha. I always have a supply of different dim sum dumplings in the freezer so I can steam them whenever I have a craving for them. There is between 2 - 5 Chinese restaurants in every suburb in Sydney and at least 1 in every country town (it seems). I remember in the 1980s we went on holidays with our parents and stopped in for lunch in a Chinese restaurant in one small country town. A delivery was being made and my mother called out to the cook in Cantonese that the delivery man was looking for him. He had not heard anyone speak in Cantonese to him in a long time and he dropped this very large basin of cooked rice .

Toots you are right about home style Asian cooking. When my sisters and I went to China in 1985, the food that was served for lunch and dinner to our tour group was pretty much like the food my mother cooked. About half of the tour group wouldn't eat some of it because it had no resemblance to what Australian Chinese restaurants served, such as steamed savoury egg custard with beef. At least the 3 of us ate well.

Edited by MargiABC - 26 Feb 2013 at 14:51
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 11:50
Up early for a 4 hour drive to Young NSW, cherry capital of NSW. Its also the historical town once known as Lambing Flats, a gold mining area in the 1860s and the site of the infamous riots against Chinese miners in 1861. The town is unveiling plaques commemorating the events, the Chinese and those who helped the Chinese from that time period.

Edited by MargiABC - 08 Mar 2013 at 11:53
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 09:56
After a 4.30am start we arrived in Young at 8.50am including a breakfast stop at Maccas. Lovelty day but got sunburnt. Staying overnight and having a more leisurely drive home tomorrow.
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 08:36
You couldn't send a spot of that sun over here could you Margi? After a very short taste of Spring, we are back to winter today with temperatures set to plummet  and snow forecast. It is Mothering Sunday today, I'm off to see mine with a basket of anemones .Bless her, she has sunk so far into dementia that she will probably throw them at me.
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 23:20
I'll do my best Toots, but I don't think it will work. After all the rain we had a few weeks ago it was nice to have the sunny weather, particularly on Saturday when most of the activities were outdoors. It was also nice to see so much green around and fuller creeks and rivers. One of the places we went to on Saturday was known as Blackguard Gully in the 1860s where the actual riots took place. We were there 2 years ago and it has a creek in it, but it was all dried up then. It was nice to see it full of water on Saturday.
The riots were a blight on our history, but in context, those who rioted against the Chinese miners were mainly Europeans and some Americans who had travelled to Australia from their own countries to the gold fields.

I hope you had a nice day with your Mother. Our Mother's day is in May, the same time as the US one.

Edited by MargiABC - 10 Mar 2013 at 23:31
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 08:39
It's helped a bit Margi. We had a beautiful Spring day yesterday. All the windows and doors open. Ummmm rain today though
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 21:10
I'm glad the weather is better. I hope it keeps being spring like weather in spring like it should be. We have been having an extended summer here with temperatures in the high 20s to low 30s°C over the last 10 days. Cooler weather on the way this week.

Edited by MargiABC - 16 Mar 2013 at 21:18
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 13:46
I'm off to Canberra tomorrow to see the Toulouse Lautrec exhibition at the National Gallery. Its about a 2-3 hr drive. Double demerits over the Easter weekend starting tonight, so I have to make sure I don't stray over the speed limit. Cruise control comes in handy for that.
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 17:04

Have a great time Margi Big%20smile

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 17:57
Originally posted by MargiABC

I'm off to Canberra tomorrow to see the Toulouse Lautrec exhibition at the National Gallery. Its about a 2-3 hr drive. Double demerits over the Easter weekend starting tonight, so I have to make sure I don't stray over the speed limit. Cruise control comes in handy for that.
Careful on the roads!!
I suppose you heard all the recent hoo ha (may you didn't) over the Chris Huhne case, (his wife took his points for him!!- under pressure-bearing in mind she's a high flying exec , who's not stupid, runs her own companies etc..- scorned woman tho)
I may of taken some points for my husband at some stage!!- can't say anymore, but as sole earner most of the time, and in the past , as a family we could never survive with him out of work!
Luckily in Holland, i only ever got fines for speeding- ie not points (4 in one week, when they installed speed camera's on one certain lane, then got a several hundred Euro fine!! for having a mobile phone IN MY HAND!! ) while in a car park , just parking the car!!! luckily Holland/Europe is only fines, and not points, otherwise i would of never had a licence!!- they are very tough, and on the spot there, they try to hit you in the pocket, and the Dutch being 'careful' with their money , don't like it!!
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 09:14
Safe journey, and have a great time Margi. I envy you, I've never seen one other than pictures in books/internet/TV etc.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 15:25
I have never seen so many highway patrol cars on the freeways for "Operation Tortoise" over the last 2 days. A couple did pull over some cars for speeding. I enjoyed the driving as I don't normally drive 250km in a day, but tiring. We stayed overnight to break the driving up. 20 years ago I would have done the 500km round trip in a day, but I don't have the stamina now. I brought my niece home from uni as well for her mid semester break.

The Toulouse Lautrec exhibition was fantastic. There must have been over 120 of his works on display from his early years right through to some of the last pieces he painted. We always get the audio guide as it gives more information on selected pieces that won't be found on any written descriptions next to the painting. His favourite redheaded subject was evident in 4 paintings. According to the audio guide, she lost favour with him when she became a brunette. The exhibition closes on Tuesday, so I'm glad we went yesterday.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>