I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Chat
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aussie cities

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 15:13
The fires were on the lunchtime news today.
Hope you're bearing up in the heat Margi.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 11:14
You OK Margi? My hair stood on end when I saw the news.
Loved the photo Rose. Staffi's are such lovely dogs. My aunt used to have them and they were wonderful with the children
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 09:12
I'm fine Toots. The major fires are not near me, but I have friends who live near them. Two live in the Shoalhaven area down south near Nowra and another friend works in Lithgow out west.

I don't know if you heard about the arsonists that were caught. Four teenagers have been arrested for lighting fires. Two were 16 yrs old and lit fires not far from houses in Macquarie Fields and a 12 yr old and a 17 year old lit fires in Eaglevale. Both suburbs are part of the city of Campbelltown where I live. The residents at Macquarie Fields got their hoses out to put out the fire as it was virtually a few metres away from their homes.
The police believe that some of the major fires have also been lit by arsonists. However the weather bureau has forecast lightning in some areas and with the return of the heatwave today and continuing tomorrow the aithorities are very concerned. The forecast for tomorrow is 45°C in some areas. I think we get away with 39°C in Campbelltown tomorrow.

Edited by MargiABC - 11 Jan 2013 at 09:35
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 15:43
Rose, your cousin's dog knows how to keep cool in the heat wave. I'm sure the pool will be well used over the next couple of days.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 05:10
Rose, I'll bet your cousin's dog is in the pool right now. Another scorcher. Its 45°C right now where I live and 46°C in another suburb called Penrith. I spent the morning at the cinema watching Les Miserables and having a nice big cold drink. The air conditioning is on and it brings some relief.

The bush fires are still burning and some homes and other buildings were lost at Coonabarabran in country NSW several days ago. Its near the Sidings Springs Observatory, which escaped being damaged. One country town in Victoria has been cut off by the fires and residents cannot be evacuated as there is only one road out. We only hope the fire does not reach them. They have been told they will have to defend their homes. There are still idiots out there with no thought of others who are being caught for lighting fires either ignoring the total fire bans on their propertes or they are arsonists intent on causing a bush fire. Police have arrested several people over the last couple of weeks.
I feel for the firefighters. The heat from the fires as well as the high summer temperatures must make it difficult for them, and their safety while doing their work must be a concern for their families. Many of the fire fighters are volunteers. Rose mentioned her cousin's husband was a volunteer fire fighter.

Edited by MargiABC - 18 Jan 2013 at 05:37
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 07:13
Its official - today's temperature is a record for Sydney. Its caused problems with people being sick from the heat and problems with suburban trains.
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 07:47
Originally posted by MargiABC

Its official - today's temperature is a record for Sydney. Its caused problems with people being sick from the heat and problems with suburban trains.
I can't imagine what it feels like Margi. I start to melt if it goes over 25 degrees here.
It must be difficult to eat, sleep or do anything at at all. Hope it cools down soon.

Edited by Jo Bird - 18 Jan 2013 at 07:50
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 16:01
I read that the train delays were caused by overhead wires buckling in the heat and a hose used to run a key signalling system melted. There were grass fires in the.CBD with sparks from the monorail braking to a halt causing a grass fire at Darling Harbour and a grass fire near a suburban train station at Kogarah.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 04:58
Today is Australia Day. Since its a Saturday, the public holiday for it is on Monday. Its celebrates the day European settlement in Australia occurred in 1788 by the First Fleet, led by Captain Arthur Phillip.

Every local council and country area will have an Australia Day ambassador, usually someone who is a celebrity or has a high community profile to help celebrate Australia Day in that community. We have concerts, fun fairs and a lot of migrants have their Australian citizenship ceremonies today. The Australian Government bestows Australia Day honours on people who have contributed significantly to the Australian Community e.g. Order of Australia. We have not had any knighthoods since 1986 when the then Prime Minister, Bob Hawke abolished them. Anyone already with a knighthood was not affected. Every Australia Day, we have an Australian of the Year announced. This year it is Ita Buttrose.

Sadly, there will be some not celebrating as they are fighting fires or helping with emergency services. Australia really is a place of contrast. While there are bushfires still burning in parts of Victoria and NSW, there are really bad floods in Queensland.

Edited by MargiABC - 26 Jan 2013 at 05:20
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 09:06
The actress Miriam Margolyes, became an Australian citizen yesterday.

She is pictured with Prime Minister Julia Gillard after receiving her Australian citizenship certificate.

MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 05:49
The floods in Queensland are almost as bad as the floods in Jan 2011. A cyclone is the cause of this and the heavy rains are heading towards northern NSW. Gale force winds have whipped up foamy waves on part of the Queenland coast. It looks like snow from a distance and the foam has blown onto the streets to about 1-2 metres in height.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 01:07
Part of the storm cell from the cyclone came down our way - just torrential rain for the last 2-3 days. They announced several road closures this morning in different parts of Sydney.
At least the rain has helped ease bush fire dangers and the dams will be filling up.
Very tragic in Queensland with 4 fatalities from the floods. A 3 yr old boy died in hospital from injuries received when a tree fell on the family car. His mother is still in hospital.
A lot of people are being evacuated from their roof tops in worst affected areas. I feel for the people who rebuilt / repaired their homes from the 2011 floods, only for it to happen again to them.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 22:02
Happy Chinese new year. Today we welcome in the Year of the Snake. Sydney has the largest CNY celebrations outside of Asia, with celebrations lasting over 2 weeks. It started on Friday night with the official launch which is conducted by the City of Sydney Council (with lots of sponsorship). The launch takes place at Belmore Park with entertainment including dancers dressed as snakes. Sydney's Lord Mayor, Clover Moore officislly opened the celebrations. The park has a weekend market just for the start of CNY. At night thr markets are lit with beutiful red lanterns hanging from tree branches. I was one of tbe invited guests (I am in an organisation that is holding 5 events for CNY) so after the official part, all the guests were transported to a cocktail party hosted by the Lord Mayor.
Events over the 2 weeks include Dragon boat races, exhibitions, talks, tours, concerts, a ball (the Dragon Ball). The final event is the Twilight Parade with floats, street performers, and marchers all lit up. I went to last year's one and I will post so photos of the parade. Each year the city partnets with a different city in China and they send out over 100 performers for CNY.

Edited by MargiABC - 11 Feb 2013 at 01:03
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 01:08

Edited by MargiABC - 11 Feb 2013 at 01:09
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 21:35
We have had some bad weather these last few days. Its still warm, but having bad storms. There were mini tornadoes down the south coast and also a few suburbs away with trees down and damage to buildings with roofs torn off buildings. Its been raining quite heavily over part of the weekend with flooding in the mid north coast. Our main dam, Warragamba, is now overflowing. Only a few years ago we were in drought with that dam being reported on as to how low it was. At its worst point it was about 40% full.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 22:27
was talking to my Sutherland friend (from South africa) yesterday, she didn't mention the weather tho.... only the cold here!!!!!Cry
Want to come back to the Sydney,,...miss the CNY and celebrations.
No China town here, there is one in Manchester, but went up a few days too late for the celebrations and procession there.  I really enjoyed the CNY when we were living in Borneo, and of course we got extra days holiday!!.

Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>