I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Chat
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aussie cities

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Online Status: Offline
  Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 21:43
20C is hot for us now!!!
Year 13 still here (last year) my daughter still has another 3 years (in year 10 currently)
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 10:33
You've been away from Australia for too long Deborah. I prefer summer temperatures of 25 to 27C for comfort, which on the coast is usually what they have, but not where I live. It can be 5 to 10 degrees hotter than the coast. Can't stand extremes of 35-40C as in Italy and some summer days here. I remember when I was in Auckland in December 2003, the temperature got to 28 or 29C and they said it was a heat wave.

If you are planning on hiring a car during your stay, the RTA, now known as the Roads and Maritime Services have changed some of the road rules in NSW in regards to use of mobile phones, signalling at roundabouts, crossing solid line markings and a few others. They didn't give much warning and only had them published on their website. A lot of confused motorists.

Here is the link for the updated road rules

Edited by MargiABC - 16 Nov 2012 at 10:41
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 13:03
We always hire thru the 'cheap place' at Kings Cross, (for some reason can't remember the names, the white cars with 'no birds' on the side.) Thkey're in Perth too.

Yep get confused driving in different countries, for a while in england, i was turning left on a red!! (don't they do that in Aus??) or maybe it was Canada (turning right on a red)!! Had to take new tests in both countries.  Driving in Asia was a nightmare too, anything seemed to go.
Had to get a Highway code book here when i arrived, as was driving everwhere at 40km, when the speed limit here is 30MPH, in Aus they drive much faster in towns i think.
Have to always drive automatics too, the hills in Coogee/clovelly scary now.
My aussie license has just expired too, but now have a UK one (after 20 years of not)

Have to look for my old aussie navman now. (altho the furthest we go is usually Brighton- south) Have some friends in Kogarah, and near the airport.)
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 14:14
Most speed limits have been reduced. Main roads in some residential and business areas are 60km, other residential roads are 50km. Main roads through some towns can be as low as 40km. Crown Street in the city is 40km all the way. There is major road work on the M5 so it varies between 100, 110 and 80km depending where you are on it. Most of the tollways are cashless, except M5 which still accepts cash. You need one of those toll paying beeping things in the car. I think you can get them for a short time

The new road rules have only been in since 1st November. Every other driver going through a round about must be looking at the car in front to see what they are doing in regard to signalling.
jamesfly View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote jamesfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 20:54
I also agree with it.In Australia many best visiting places.
james anderson
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 14:02
A bit of a scorcher today for the first day of summer here. It was about 37C today and its now 1am and its 26C now. Most of Australia had extremely high temperatures today.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 14:26
I think 40km is too fast in towns, and centres, should be 35km, we get the 'toll' gadget in the car (booked now) . There is now a shuttle to King's Cross to pick up the cars (much cheaper than anywhere else.
We tend not to go very far, was talking to my ex neighbour a day or so ago, she hates driving north over the bridge, and had to do it recently for family medical appointments.
Tend to stick in the Eastern Suburbs, and South down to Symbio (animal park- found it on the map)- small and up close, don't think we'll do Taronga this time. Have some friends in Engadine, and near Botany Bay.
37C far too hot, mid 20's fine for us!! freezing here, first frost overnight here for us.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 23:58
I have not been to Taronga Zoo in about 20 years. I have been to Dubbo Plains Zoo twice in the last 15 years., but have been 3 times altogether. I had friends who used to live in Orange; which was only an hour away. If you haven't been there before, there are no visible fences or cages at eye level. There are moats and fences that don't detract from the open view. About a 4 to 5 hour drive from Sydney though. You can drive around, cycle around or walk between each section. Walking is OK, but only in cooler weather.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 00:13
When I was on my cruise last year and the ship berthed in Brisbane, I did go to Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo. The crocodile show was good.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 07:13
I've been hearing sirens and helicopters in the last hour. There is a bush fire less than 5 km away from me. Its propably far enough away from me and will have the bush fire brigades there putting it out now. On the news they said it was suspicious. Its the first day of the school holidays for summer and more than likely a bored teenager has started it. They just don't realise the damage they cause, the cost of putting it out and the angst it causes to nearby residents in regards to their safety and homes.
I hope the police catch the arsonist soon. There are severe penalties for arsonists who start bush fires due to the fatal ones experienced around Australia in the last few years.

Edited by MargiABC - 20 Dec 2012 at 07:20
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 21:31
The police have arrested 2 boys aged 11 & 14 for the bush fire. One man was taken to hospital and people were evacuated from homes in one street.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2012 at 05:48

Edited by deborah31 - 21 Dec 2012 at 05:49
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2012 at 05:51
saw it on the news yesterday (in coogee now), re young boys arrested

bit jet lagged still, so only been to the beach once this a.m. (7.00, you wouldn't believe how many shops/cafe's open, and people jogging on the beach)
son is sick so a bit tied up at the mo, daughter still hacking away too with winter cold.
hope to be out and about tomorrow, and start my xmas shopping!!!, lol, lastminute.com here
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2012 at 09:48
Interesting to see shopping centres not that busy this time of the year. I was at a large shopping centre (I think it was Westfields) at Ryde today and the place was not very busy this close to Christmas. The same last week. I was at Westfields at Burwood shopping after a dental appointment and it wasn't that busy either. Either everyone is so organised and completed their Christmas shopping or they have done it on line.
You might get some great Christmas bargains Deborah.

Enjoy your holiday back in Sydney.

I don't know if your children were into the Wiggles when they were younger, as all but Anthony are retiring from performing at the end of the year. 3 new performers have been signed up.
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2012 at 20:02
Deb... You're in Oz... Have a great time!

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 23:33
I used to love the Wiggles, margi, i took the kids to see  them when they were small, Greg was sick, so it was Sam wiggle!!
I watched carols in the domain last night, and saw their last show, and saw the new wiggles.
my kids over them now of course, but we know all the songs, ha..ha.. they look so old now don't they, and greg wiggle (lead in yellow) was back, i think the one in purple, had a cafe somewhere (newtown?) not sure\
son a bit better today, finally got him eating (he's a sickly child) left my daughter on coogee beach, she's english rose colour, desperate for some colour (which she'll never get!!) she has to accept it, people are never happy are they, especially teenage girls!!
at least my son has picked up a bit
shops were not busy (compared to england) at eastgardens yesterday.
right i just read on msn, that louis won!!! (my fav) wasn't going to look will now!!)
hubby was on george st on friday, but didn't see russell crowe/hugh jackman at premiere, wish i'd of known, my fav two!!
deb.xox
in coogee

Edited by deborah31 - 22 Dec 2012 at 23:38
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>