I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Chat
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aussie cities

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 13:35
She is of Italian descent. She was on the Australian version of 'Who Do You Think You Are?' earlier this year.
jamesfly View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote jamesfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 10:16
you give the best information about Aussie cities.
james anderson
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 16:44
Thanks James.

I have actually been to every capitol city at some stage over the last 30 years. I've been to Perth twice - The first time I flew - it takes about 5-6 hours to fly to Perth (the capitol of Westwrn Australia) from Sydney and I returned on the train - the Indian Pacific which takes 3 days - we had a sleeper car. The train makes several stops at Kalgoolie - which is a large mining town, Adelaide the capitol of South Australia, Cook, which is a small settlement in the middle of the Nullabor (means no trees)which is a large desert area and Broken Hill in NSW which is where Priscilla Queen of the Desert and some of the Mad Max films were filmed.

Melbourne the capitol city of Victoria is about a 2 hour flight. I spent a cultural experience week there 2 years ago to see exhibitions that were only on there. I have been there 3 times all up.

I've been to Adelaide 4 times, by train and coach and crusie ship.

Hobart is the capitol of Tasmania which is not part of the mainland. Its about a 3 hour flight from Sydney. I spent a week in Tasmania 9 years ago for a holiday - the climate is quite cool there, but the scenery is beautiful

Brisbane is the capitol of Queensland and about a 3 hour flight from Sydney.

The capitol of the Northern Territory is Darwin. I've only been there once for 1 day, so I intend to go back to explore more - either by train (The Ghan) or I will fly there. I also want to to explore more of the NT and visit Alice Springs and Uluru. My sister and her husband and daughter did a self drive campervan holiday there a few years ago.

The capitol of Australia is Canberra which is half way between Melbourne and Sydney. Its about a 3 hour drive from Sydney. My niece is at university there, which gives us an excuse to visit and see some great exhibitions there.

Last year I did a 28 day cruise that circumnavigated Australia so I got to visit all the capitol cities again, as well as other places of interest along the way.

We are gearing up for bushfire season. The authorities are doing a lot of bush fire prevention back burning before it gets too hot and dry.

Edited by MargiABC - 01 Oct 2012 at 17:16
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 03:32
Most people when they think about Australia, make reference to the Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Habour Bridge as man made wonders, but there are so many natural wonders, but unfortunately, because Australia is so large, would take a lot of planning and time to see.

An example of a natural wonder is Wave Rock in Western Australia. When We went to WA in 2006 for a holiday and I climbed Wave Rock as one side is not very steep; however 6 years on, I don't think i could do it again.

Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 12:13
Margi... I'm impressed you've been to every capitol city in Australia.
I wish I could say the same. I've not yet been to Scotland or Ireland.

Does the bush fire season affect you at all?

Edited by Jo Bird - 04 Oct 2012 at 16:52
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 17:52
Bush fires strike different places every year. Where I live we have been affected indirectly about 4 times. We have a bush reserve area one street behind us. There have been bush fires there, but they have always been put out very quickly. 15 years ago, on Christmas night we were nearly caught up in a bad one. We were having Christmas dinner at my brother-in-law's brother's house when we started to smell smoke and had a blackout. We looked over the back verandah and we could see the flames in the distance. We were lucky as we were able to drive home. The fire lasted a few days and luckily the fire didn't reach the house. The house was about 80km from the Sydney CBD, but the smoke and ash drifted all over Sydney for over a week. Another time my brother-in-law was driving home from work, a trip that would take 1 hour in peak hour, but took him 4 that night. A small bush fire had started near the freeway and the grass surrounding it caught fire. The fire jumped across 4 lanes to the other side of the road.
There have been fatal bush fires in Canberra several years ago and Victoria suffered severe bushfires about 3 years ago. It was so bad the fatalities were quite high, with some families thinking they were safe one minute, then a fire would jump and they were unable to escape. Several communities were affected, with at least one community not having a single building standing. As a result, laws were changed about bush fire warnings, communications in regard to bush fires and hazard reduction practices.

Unfortunately not all bush fires are caused by natural occurences e.g. lightning strikes. Arsonists have been the cause of some.

Edited by MargiABC - 04 Oct 2012 at 17:59
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 06:12
There are 2 bush fires on the Central Coast of NSW at Gosford and Port Macquarie right now. They said on the news that messages about the fires and evacuations had been sent on mass by SMS to residents in those areas. I am hoping the fires will be extinguishes asap. The temperatures have been quite high the last 3 days at average of 34 deg C and we are less than half way through spring.
jamesfly View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote jamesfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 06:16
It is true.I also agree with this.
james anderson
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 08:05
Here is another natural wonder of Western Australia taken from my holiday photos in 2006. Its called the Pinnacles Desert, thousands of limestone pillars - believed to be at least 6,000 years old - rise up to 3.5 metres tall from the sand.

It feels like walking through an alien landscape on another planet.

It would make a great movie location for a science fiction movie. It looks very similar to the some of the locations used for the science fiction movie "Galaxy Quest" made a few years ago starring Tim Allen and Signorey Weaver.

Edited by MargiABC - 20 Oct 2012 at 08:09
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 15:28
This is the 'town' of Cook in the middle of the Nullabor. It boasts having the longest stretch of straight railway line going through it for 478Km. Not a big population here.

The Indian Pacific train stops there every 2 or 3 days to drop off supplies and mail and to pick up mail. The train is called the Indian Pacific as the Indian Ocean is on Western Australian coast and the Pacific ocean is on the coast of the easter states of Queensland, NSW and Victoria,

Edited by MargiABC - 03 Nov 2012 at 15:35
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 01:10
Yesterday Cairns in northern Queensland experienced a total eclipse of the sun. In NSW we could have seen a partial eclipse, but it was fairly overcast in Sydney so not much to be seen.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 01:28
I haven't been to Cairns, so that is another place I would like to visit. My brother-in-law has relatives living there. I haven't been to the Great Barrier Reef either. We nearly went there last year when I was on a cruise, but the water was too rough and the captain cancelled any plans to allow passengers off the ship via the ship tenders, so we missed out. Another time.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 01:44
This is a satellite picture of Australia with the cruise route superimposed onto it on the TV monitor in our cabin. The off-shoot to Bali on the far left was so Australian passengers could buy duty free alcohol as well as see some of Bali. If Australian passengers disembarked before Bali they could not buy duty free alcohol. Of course overseas passengers could buy any time.

deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 19:01
I saw an eclipse in Cairns (well Cape Tribulation) on the beach overnight/early morning, can't remember, we were staying in a YOuth Hostel at the time (forgot the name) - about 19 years ago.
We did go off to the outer barrier reef too, what a trek out there, it was so rough, loads of japanese tourists jumped in the sea , vomiting when we got there, I was so green, I couldn't move!!!!!! (not a good sailor)

Anyway, just booked our flights, we're coming to Sydney!!!! for Xmas holidays!!! escaping a bit of winter here!!!  Flying with Korean (cheapest!!) flying via Seoul , so having a stopover on the way back! might stay in Gangnam!!! in Seoul.   
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 21:24
That's great Deborah. I hope the weather is more consistent by then. Its been hot for a couple of days, then its dropped to 20deg C or less. for a few days, then up again.

Are you practising your Gangnam style for your stopover
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 21:39
'Schoolies week' is starting so a good time to give the Gold Coast or any popular holiday spot near Queensland or northern NSW a miss for a couple of weeks. Year 12 final exams have finished and a lot students head off for a holiday, termed 'Schoolies week'. A lot of drinking and partying goes on, so not a good time for a holiday there if your family orientated.

Edited by MargiABC - 15 Nov 2012 at 21:41
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>