I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Chat
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aussie cities

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aussie cities
    Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 19:05
I've just read an article in the paper that says Aussie cities are the best places to live.
Melbourne is the best city in the world and Sydney, Adelaide and Perth are all in the top 10.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 20:22
I would agree with that Jo. Wonderful country, lovely people.
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 23:22
I would have to agree, but then again I am biased. However, Australian cities have also been rated expensive to live in, but that is all relative in comparison with how much the A$ is worth against other countries.
A lot of British citizens migrated to Australia in the 1960s to the late 1970s. The Australian government at the time subsidised the cost with the migrants paying £10 per person. The migrants were termed affectionately as "£10 Poms". I saw a programme earlier this year which case studied 6 families. Not all enjoyed the Auatralian experience. I think it was quite harsh for them in the early days but once they settled into jobs and got their own homes it became better for them.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 23:23
I just realised I posted the same thing twice - I used my phone and back keyed. I didn't have the delete message option anymore.

Edited by MargiABC - 16 Aug 2012 at 15:57
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 09:39
Yep it's very expensive for us to visit at the moment. My neighbours here were in Sydney a couple of months ago, said the same.
also housing where we lived in Eastern Suburbs (Sydney) unbelieavable, London prices, couldn't afford to buy our house back now, infact it just sold again at auction , my old neighbour told me, often wish we'd kept it and just moved back into it, as small as it was!!!

I like Brisbane, after Sydney , have friends there, so have visited them there, infact friends that are there temp, have had several floods in last couple of years.(mY hubby tried to get a job there before we came back to UK, but without success)
I'm surprised at how quiet Perth is, couldn't believe it when we first visited about 5 years ago, we know quite a few people  who live in Perth now, emmigrated, or there for work (Oil, gas etc...)only within the last 5 years, for the outdoor life etc..
A good friend of ours lives in a small house in Subiaco (Perth) so we are still thinking of trying to go over. My son was best friends with hers, when we were in Asia, he was always at our house, like my 2nd son.
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 16:32
I moved away from my parents' house in the Eastern Suburbs years ago to Campbelltown when I got my first teaching appointment. Housing here is very affordable, but an hour by car (non peak hour - the M5 is a car park in the morning and evening peak hours)or train using East Hills line into the city. My parents' house was 20 minutes by bus to the city so we never needed a car back then. When I was younger my parents house was a small 2 bedroom cottage on a very small block of land with an outside loo. We used to hate it when it rained heavily to run out to use the loo. When my mother and sister renovated the house in the 1990s the first thing they ordered was an inside loo, a bigger kitchen and an extra room for a study.

Deborah if you have ever been to Campbelltown /Macarthur region when you lived here, and were to visit the area again you would not believe how much housing development has occurred and is still occurring. For the average house price in the Eastern Suburbs for a small 2-3 bedroom house you can buy in the Macarthur area a house with a master bedroom with ensuite, another 2-4 bedrooms, a second bathroom, internal laundry, a study, a theatre / media / rumpus room, kitchen with a walk in pantry, open plan family / dining / living area with an outdoor entertaining area and still have change. You would have to be a millionaire or have a very, very large mortgage to buy a house this size in the Eastern Suburbs now.
The closer to the city the higher the cost.

Edited by MargiABC - 16 Aug 2012 at 16:43
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 16:57
I still found the UK expensive due to the exchange rate. A$1 was equal to £0.65, so the first few days we were calculating the cost of items e.g. £20 meal was A$30. We stopped calculating the costs as we wouldn't have spent any money or enjoyed ourselves if we kept thinking about it. My friend did an exchange teaching programme about 6 years ago in the UK for 12 months. The person she exchanged with came to my school and took my friend's classes, lived in my friend's house and drove my friend's car. My friend had the same deal in the UK. The teacher from the UK had the better deal. They were paid the salary from their own countries, so my friend had to live on her Australian salary in the UK when the exchange rate was A$1 = £0.45. A £20 pound meal = $44.00 back then.

Edited by MargiABC - 16 Aug 2012 at 17:03
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 17:17

We have a tv show here Margi about Brits who move to Oz... Wanted Down Under.

It's always a dilemna for them. A better life in Oz if they leave friends and family in the UK.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 00:48
I don't think I went to Campbell town, altho I worked with a girl from there, when I worked in IT (yeah, unbelieavable i was a main frame programmer at Westpac, head office St. Leonards)

We went out west to Paramatta several times, had lunch at the footy club there.
We could see the Wales migrating from our front door step in Clovelly.  My kids wish we'd kept the house, and moved back there (used to go every time it came empty- rented out while we were overseas for previous 12 years) Altho where we lived was mainly Brits, and Irish Expats of course, so all in same boat. I didn't have a car there, as easy to jump on a bus to the city/Quays.

A good friend of mine just bought a house in Hurlestone Park (near Dulwich Hill) I usually stay with her when i go over alone. (not for a long time now) we worked together at Westpac.
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 21:16
off topic but Aussie related whilst you were in UK Margi DWTS Australia final was screened - guests artists were the cast of Burn the floor and one of our pupils performed on show - Gary has blonde hair wearing grey jacket and dancing middle of the ffloor and at one point lifts his partner in split lift

MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 03:09
Thanks for posting this Bren. I love DWTS. I did see the final as I gave my other sister instructions on all the programs I wanted recorded to watch later at my leisure. I am still catching up on other programs she recorded for me.
Its fantastic that you know one of the dancers who was once one of your pupils. You must feel really proud that he is dancing professionally in "Burn the Floor" and touring with it.

Edited by MargiABC - 18 Aug 2012 at 03:28
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 16:36
Have a look at this video of a song "Great Southern Land". A former colleague of mine is in the choir at 2.45mins. From the logo I think it was made by Tourism Australia. It also features local artists and I think Tina Arena is in it too.

Great Southern Land

It's shows quite a few aspects of Australia.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 17:49
Tina Arena still going???!!!!
wasn't she a one hit wonder (at least overseas)
I'm thinking she came from Maroubra?? not sure where i got that from!!!
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 19:11
Originally posted by MargiABC

Great Southern Land

It's shows quite a few aspects of Australia.
Lovely song. Beautiful country.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 03:30
Originally posted by deborah31

Tina Arena still going???!!!!
wasn't she a one hit wonder (at least overseas)

I'm thinking she came from Maroubra?? not sure where i got that from!!!

I think Tina was from Melbourne - not sure. She was in Young Talent time as a child performer (that was filmed in Melbourne). That show was revived, but only did one season and Tina returned as a judge.

The group of teenage performers in the video clip are the 2012 Young Talent Time performers.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 09:33
yep, i must be thinking of someone else re Tina, I know there's a bit of a greek community in Maroubra, or used to be (isn't she greek descendant)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>