I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Chat
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone for tennis?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone for tennis?
    Posted: 25 June 2012 at 17:44
Can't believe Jo and I are the only tennis nuts on here. We've some promising Brit youngsters this year. Maybe they won't go far but they give me hope for the future. I'm old enough to remember seeing Sue barker win Junior Wimbledon.LOL
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2012 at 18:30
Sue Barker and Win ??? in the same sentence???!!!! Can't get over that, I only know her from Question of Sport, and her fling with the old bachelor boy CliffWink Know she did play tennis but thought in the traditional english tradition, came nowhere or a bit below that!

What's up with Venus today?? she was talking how i felt today, bit woozy,muggy, and out of it, fell asleep watching the end of 'Quantum of Solace' - must be the weather. Can she really be back for the Olympics???

RF is looking good still, hasn't he gone off the boil abit tho, (has he won anything recently?? ) since the birth of his twins, must be tiring for them.   He's my fav tho , along with Nadal.
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2012 at 19:21
A whole thread for Wimbledon. Well done Toots!

As for past players... I liked Stefan Edberg in his hey day. More recently Tim Henman and Andy Murray.
I have a soft spot for Federer too. Not sure that he's won a grand slam for a couple of years now.

It would be great to see some of the young Brits come thru a couple of rounds this year.

Who's going to win this year? Any thoughts?

Edited by Jo Bird - 25 June 2012 at 19:23
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2012 at 20:30
Originally posted by deborah31

Sue Barker and Win ??? in the same sentence???!!!! Can't get over that, I only know her from Question of Sport, and her fling with the old bachelor boy CliffWink Know she did play tennis but thought in the traditional english tradition, came nowhere or a bit below that!

What's up with Venus today?? she was talking how i felt today, bit woozy,muggy, and out of it, fell asleep watching the end of 'Quantum of Solace' - must be the weather. Can she really be back for the Olympics???

RF is looking good still, hasn't he gone off the boil abit tho, (has he won anything recently?? ) since the birth of his twins, must be tiring for them.   He's my fav tho , along with Nadal.

Well, Deborah as far as I know, Venus hasn't been at all well this year. She only came into Wimbledon to qualify for the Olympics.... dobt she'll get there though

Sue was a brilliant little player as a junior but fizzled out as a senior. She won a few tournaments, but never reached very far.

Iremember Egberg, Jo when the men's final was rained off and they had to play on the Monday. He couldn't get into the groove at all. It really put him off

I don't know who will win this year, its pretty open with the top 3 men. I'd like to see Nadal win. I haven't got a clue with the women, it could be anyone. The top seeds  have been  a bit undependable this year.

Edited by Toots - 25 June 2012 at 20:33
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2012 at 12:49
Heather Watson thru... Good news for the Brits. Berdych out... Makes me feel nervous for Murray.

C'mon Andy! 

Edited by Jo Bird - 26 June 2012 at 12:50
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2012 at 14:58

Well done Heather! Great job

I though Laura Robson did us proud too. She took a more experienced player to 3 sets and then fought back from match point against her. No shame in her going out at all. It’s not how you win easily which makes you a champion; it’s all about how you fight to win.  Gone are the days when you could pick out our women players at Wimbledon: Red faced lumpy females who went on court expecting to go out in straight sets and they did, with a smile. You just knew didn’t you, that they were the darlings of their local clubs and granny ran up their first tennis ‘frock’ on the Singer treadle. Now our girls come on court honed to perfection and wanting to win.

Oliver Golding did well yesterday too.

I’m not a fan of Murray as a person. And I don’t like the way he roars and beats his chest like a gorilla but if it keeps him fired up, that’s OK by me. I love the way he never gives up.  We all wanted Tim Henman to win, but we all expect Andy Murray to. That’s the difference between them.

Off to get a salad ready now so that I’m not in the kitchen when he comes on court

Edited by Toots - 26 June 2012 at 15:00
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2012 at 19:55
I know what you mean Toots... I prefer it when Murray keeps his feelings in check.
That was a great start tonight. Hope our lad can keep it up as the week goes on. 
Just waiting for the highlights show so I can watch all the best bits again!
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2012 at 08:32
He took him apart didn't he Jo? Ivan Lendl has done wonders with him. I hope he  plays like that for the rest of the fortnight
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2012 at 16:57

Heather Watson's a sweetheart. Lovely big smile. So glad she won today.

I'm surprised Charles and Camilla turned up on Centre Court when there's no Brits playing today.
They need to check the schedule!
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2012 at 17:06
Don't you just lover her Jo. Yes, I wondered what Charles was doing there too.

You managing to catch any tennis Deborah?
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2012 at 17:57
no, i've been out all day shopping with the kids (norfolk show day, so a day off)
did our usual shops/etc.. got some good gifts in TKMaxx
I don't usually watch it tho on the TV, for some reason it's not a sport I can watch on TV really, I think it's all the big shots they do, and the grunts, give them back the wooden rackets, make it more interesting!!!
It's something you hve to be there for, a bit like horse racing too.
(why do they always seem to carry about 6 rackets with them??)

Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2012 at 08:13
...or as my hubby calls them... bats! They need a selection for different weather/grass conditions I am told. Each one is .sprung' differently and they have a spare or two of each one.
One of the finals, the little chappie from the locker room, who always carries the kit out for a final, had a bag hanging from each shoulder and looked as if he would be pulled in hald down the middleBig%20smile
Did you enjoy your shopping trip? Was it very hot and muggy?
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2012 at 09:50

haven't watched a jot of tennis, just read Andy Murray has won 26 million in prize money so far???, don't think he'll beat Nadal or the other guy Novac,not sure of his surname spelling tho. I 'm not a fan of Murray

I have been watching lots of cricket tho, with the Windies, we are big cricket fans here, and spend most weekends watching my son's under 12 school team, they're down in Ipswich on Saturday, so may go down there, watched him last week too, in the middle of his match we got a free display from the remaining 7 red arrows, who were taking off, and performing from nearby Norwich airport last Saturday.
They stuffed the opposition sad, they were all out for 16!! (which if you don't follow cricket really is a massacre).

My kids go off on their own now shopping (son just turned 12, and daughter 14) i just meet up with them for lunch and to go home mostly. While i was in TKMaxx they were zooming around Toy's R Us on scooters, which is pretty childish!! (they told me afterwards) nobody stopped them, even staff.
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2012 at 12:22
My family love cricket. My dad played for the local team so we always went to watch him on a saturday.
I found it all rather boring as a child but I'll watch Somerset with him on TV now. The T20 is my favourite.
Your son's team must be amazing Deborah!

Hope you've got your tea ready Toots. Murray's on earlier today.
I'm going to listen on the radio and watch the highlights later.

Good Luck Andy!
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2012 at 12:34
My husband is a HUGE cricket fan. I can't get into it at all.

Yes, teas all ready to go in the oven Jo. It's called Saturday Night Special. I got the recipe out of a magazine over 30 years ago. 1lb of lean mince serves 4-6. I still cook enough for 6 even though there is only 2 of us and freeze it in 2 portion sizes. 

Come on Andy. I've booked my place on the settee
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2012 at 19:26
Phew! That's a relief. Just caught the fourth set tie break on TV. The guy was so tall.
He made Murray look short and the ball ball boys like little kids. Nice work Murray!

Just off to check on the other Brits now... Whistle

Edited by Jo Bird - 28 June 2012 at 19:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>