I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2011
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Katya axed from SCD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Katya axed from SCD
    Posted: 23 June 2012 at 12:08

Strictly Cull Dancing: Professional Katya Virshilas axed from BBC talent show

By Kerry Mcqueeney

PUBLISHED: 09:39, 20 June 2012 | UPDATED: 11:03, 20 June 2012

Strictly Come Dancing's Katya Virshilas has been given the boot from the show to make way for fresh talent.

In a shake-up of the show's line-up, the professional dancer has been axed from this year's series as part of plans to bring in new faces to the BBC programme.

The Lithuanian-born beauty - who has partnered Daybreak host Dan Lobb, rugby player Gavin Henson and former cricketer Phil Tufnell - is thought to be the only dancer to not make it through to this year's show.

Axed:%20Katya%20Virshilas%20with%20Dan%20Lobb%20on%20last%20years%20Strictly%20after%20they%20were%20voted%20off%20the%20show

Axed: Katya Virshilas with Dan Lobb on last year's Strictly after they were voted off the show

Paired%20up:%20Katya%20has%20also%20partnered%20rugby%20player%20Gavin%20Henson

Paired up: Katya has also partnered rugby player Gavin Henson

Dancer James Jordan is to stay on the show, despite his furious bust-up last year with judge Craig Revel Horwood.

Jordan was snubbed from last year's live tour following the argument with Revel Horwood - but it is thought any lingering tension between the two could provide drama on the show.

According to The Sun, the show's new executive producers - Glenn Coomber and Andrea Hamilton - wanted to bring in fresh talent but were unsure who would make way for the new dancers.

After meeting with all the dancers to ask them why they wanted to be part of this year's show, the producers decided Katya should go.

Katya,%20pictured%20here%20with%20Phil%20Tufnell,%20will%20remain%20a%20part%20of%20the%20Strictly%20Come%20Dancing%20family,%20a%20BBC%20spokesman%20said

Katya, pictured here with Phil Tufnell, will 'remain a part of the Strictly Come Dancing family', a BBC spokesman said

An insider told The Sun: 'She is not as high profile as some of the other female dancers, although it was a close call and it was nothing personal against her.

'Producers are excited about the new dancer, who they hope will shake up the show and keep the other professionals on their toes.

'All the other dancers are back, including James, who many thought might be axed because of his row with Craig.

'But producers want as much drama as possible this year and bringing James back to face Craig could provide that.'

New%20face:%20Ballerina%20Darcey%20Bussell%20%28left%29%20is%20to%20replace%20Alesha%20Dixon%20%28right%29%20on%20Strictlys%20judging%20panel%20

New face: Ballerina Darcey Bussell (left) is to replace Alesha Dixon (right) on Strictly's judging panel

A spokesman for the show has confirmed Katya will not be returning to Strictly.

She said: 'We'd like to thank Katya for her wonderful contribution to the show. She will very much remain part of the Strictly family.

'This is nothing other than just a slight refresh and we'll be announcing our new dancer in due course.'

Ballerina Darcey Bussell will also make her debut as judge on this year's series, replacing Alesha Dixon, who is to join ITV's Britain's Got Talent.

Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2012 at 12:12
cannot believe they have kept Anton, Erin. James and Ola as well.

Anton and Erin just cannot perform latin at right standard anymore and Anton's years ar showing we end up with him taking 'the mick' out of dancing again with his unfunny and boring banter

The replacement for Katya whilst being good in her field is again another American frankly if I want to see non standard style would watch DWTS USA and not SCD - coupled with the less than sparking Darcy Bussell judging (brilliant dancer - not so good in front of camera) then I think new SCD producers have mad BIG mistake

Edited by Bren - 23 June 2012 at 13:40
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2012 at 13:01
Anton is a fixture as the comedy element in the 'entertainment show'

my friends love him (for whatever reason, i just find him so..oooo annoying and irritating), but he's the pantomine as far as i'm concerned.
I do like Ola, not so keen on James, he and Anton would be the two I'd least like to be partnered with, IF i ever participated!! in  anything like thisLOL
Erin is just too smug too, wish she'd go off and have a baby or something
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2012 at 19:19
If the BBC want to freshen the show up they need to let Anton and Erin go.
Personally I'd have kept Katya over Erin, Ola and even Kristina. Bad decision.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2012 at 08:52
What is wrong with them! They keep Anton and  scraggy long in the tooth Erin (I know I was 62 last May... but I don't try to look younger than I am) and get rid of Katya
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
Eviesmum View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Twilight Mad

Quote Eviesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2012 at 12:28
Hardly a cull is it?  one pro and a new judge because the other one left.
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2012 at 12:31
have posted another story and according to some papers there is to be more culled - I am hoping they do
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2012 at 14:40
Let's hope they don't get rid of Anton (of the dancefloor), and replace Brucie with him!!! that's worse (him talking) than having him dancing!!!!!LOL
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2012 at 17:46
Originally posted by Bren

have posted another story and according to some papers there is to be more culled - I am hoping they do

Keeping everything crossed that they have a proper clear out... Jordons, Anton the berk and partner head of the list
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
jamesfly View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote jamesfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 10:02
The replace Katya while being excellent in her area is again another United states seriously if I want to see non conventional design would observe DWTS USA and not SCD 
james anderson
 Post Reply Post Reply