I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Celebritain.com Entertainment Forum > Television and Film
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

VIDEO: The Celluloid Closet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
He can heal the sick

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VIDEO: The Celluloid Closet
    Posted: 01 May 2012 at 14:50
Chances are only a few people will look at this post, sure it's a little bit 'read-y' but I think it's a fascinating insight into how gays have been represented on film, especially in Hollywood.
Whilst I wouldn't necessarily agree with some of the talking heads (the commentary can be a bit too earnest) it's the clips which are jaw dropping.

Might be worth skipping to the film clips if you have a shorter than average attention span

The opening scene (which left me stunned) is a clip taken from a film called Wonder Bar. These 1920s musicals are not something I'd be the least bit interested in, but I wouldn't mid seeing it now, especially after reading the following review on IMDb.

Wonder Bar remains the least appreciated (and perhaps the least seen) of the Warner Bros/Busby Berkeley musicals.

It's quite remarkable in that the plot, aside from a few opening scenes, keeps "real time" and relationships begin/end, lives are lost, and and all sorts of minor dramas are tied up neatly in one evening at a nightclub.

There are some bits with Louise Fazenda and a much younger man that left me gasping. The brief (and very funny) "gay scene" had me shaking my head in disbelief.

Anyone care to count how many censorship Code infractions are contained in this film? It raised a stir with the Catholic church and Legion of Decency, and I've read a memo somewhere that some audiences reportedly were appalled by the goings-on in this movie (it was a hit though--grossing nearly a million dollars for the studio).

Source

Wiki has a list of all the film clips used

The Celluloid Closet on Wiki

Edited by Alex - 01 May 2012 at 14:55
 Post Reply Post Reply