I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2011
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ballet’s Darcey joins Strictly Come Dancing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jonnyboy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Gonk

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jonnyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ballet’s Darcey joins Strictly Come Dancing
    Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 09:22

Stepping%20in%20...%20Darcey%20Bussell%20with%20Alesha%20Dixon,%20the%20judge%20she%20will%20replace
Stepping in ... Darcey Bussell with Alesha Dixon, the judge she will replace
Exclusive
By COLIN ROBERTSON, TV Editor
Published: Today at 00:36

BEAUTIFUL ballerina Darcey Bussell is joining Strictly Come Dancing — to keep contestants on their toes.

Darcey, once the Royal Ballet’s principal dancer, will replace Alesha Dixon on the hit BBC1 show’s judging panel.

The 42-year-old mum of two has agreed a £100,000 deal to take Alesha’s seat alongside Craig Revel Horwood, Len Goodman and Bruno Tonioli.

Craig helped to grease the wheels by campaigning for Darcey to get the job.

And Beeb bosses, left in a pickle after Alesha switched to ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent for £300,000, spent months trying to persuade her to take up the offer.

Darcey saw off fellow dance industry names Karen Hardy and Karen Bruce, who also screen-tested for the high profile job.

And the stylish Briton will temporarily quit her adopted home of Sydney, Australia, to join the show.

Hosted by 84-year-old Bruce “nice to see you, to see you nice” Forsyth, it will be on screen from September to December.

An insider said: “Darcey is a living legend as far as dancing is concerned — and she is just perfect for Strictly.

Dancing%20deal%20...%20Darcey%20Bussell
Dancing deal ... Darcey Bussell

“She took some convincing as it means uprooting and being in cold, wet and windy England for four months instead of sunny Sydney.

“But she said the Strictly job is probably the one thing that would bring her back. We’re delighted to have her on board.”

Darcey has some previous experience of Strictly, having appeared on the judging panel during the final stages three years ago.

How%20they%20compare%20...%20Strictly%20judges
How they compare ... Strictly judges

She famously did a jive with show pro Ian Waite, which earned her a standing ovation and a perfect 40 score from her fellow judges.

Jonnyboy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Gonk

Quote Jonnyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 09:24
she is one of the most beautiful dancers I have ever seen, I remember her doing an amazing tango on some documentory about the RB. 
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 10:37
I despair a ballet dancer to judge strictly !!! Yes an acomplished ballet dancer but not a latin and ballroom expert I despair 
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 10:39
only good thing is the gurning Karen Hardy did not get it 
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 11:35
Hmmm, I would have preferred Karen I think.  I reckon she would lose some of that mania she often displays on ITT because it's due to her having a lot to say and little time to say it in. 

I'm happy that it is a dancer who has replaced Alesha.  However my issues with Alesha were always that she lacked the knowledge of the discipline for her comments on technique to be taken seriously.  And we have almost the same issue now with Darcy. What she does bring to the party though is that she can talk about posture, floorcraft, core strength, musical interpretation and performance.  I'm willing to see how she gets on.

Actually when you think about it, the only qualified ballroom and latin judge on the panel is Len and we all know he plays favourite's and has in the past demonstrated double standards.

But let's face it, the show is no longer about latin and ballroom dancing and in my opinion, they should drop the word 'strictly' from the title.  It's simply an entertainment show now, nothing more.  With all the stupid props, and being allowed to break hold in ballroom, the dances are becoming showdances instead of recognisable standards. 

There are many dance teachers/adjudicators out there who would do a fabulous turn on the panel, who have personality and knowledge in spades, who's appearance on Strictly would raise the profile of their schools. I can only assume that they don't want to be associated with the show for the above reasons.

Shame Angry

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 11:54
Thess. I agree. I'd prefer Karen to Darcy... not so much as a person but as a judge on the show.
Darcy's a lovely, talented lady but Karen has the personality and experience to fill the role (imo). 
Having said that... I'm not unhappy with the decision and wish Darcy all the best Big%20smile

Edited by Jo Bird - 25 Apr 2012 at 11:54
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 13:25
Not Impressed with the BBC on this one
FFS the woman lives in Sydney!!! give it one season, and she'll go, if she lasts that long.
Can't see her uprooting her newly settled family for a cold windy damp UK winter.
Why couldn't they just pick someone who is based, and lives here on a full time basis
Remember grumpy Len, - and the commute will be tougher from Sydney.

I found her uninspiring on the panel last time (despite her dance, albeit ballet background)
Obviously can't find a job in Aus, that pays as much IMO.

I personally would of rather had Karen Hardy.

I presume Darcy has been in Aus long enough to not compromise her immigration status!
(the rules change all the time on this one)

Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 13:28
Darcey blxxdy Bussell!  'Nuff said
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 19:26
Originally posted by deborah31

Not Impressed with the BBC on this one
FFS the woman lives in Sydney!!! give it one season, and she'll go, if she lasts that long.
Can't see her uprooting her newly settled family for a cold windy damp UK winter.
Why couldn't they just pick someone who is based, and lives here on a full time basis
Remember grumpy Len, - and the commute will be tougher from Sydney.

This is a good point. How will Darcy organise her personal life around Strictly? She's got an Aussie husband and two school aged children.
Is it possible to commute Sydney to London? Or will she live here for three months... with or without her family?

Edited by Jo Bird - 25 Apr 2012 at 19:32
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Tups View Drop Down
Swallows
Swallows
The Queen Of Tarts

Quote Tups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 21:42
not impressed with Darcy either.. didn't think much of her last time so not looking forward to her full time on the judging panel
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 21:56
Didn't she have the personality and charisma of a wet kipper from memory???LOL

Think she's too serious, need someone 'lighter' and 'fluffier' and more camera friendly imo.
Obviously there needed to be a woman on the panel, 'Alan Carr' in drag would of been brilliant!!

Seriously tho, would rather of had, Karen H , Ola,  Camilla, or any of the other ex female dancers from previous series.

Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 09:08
Originally posted by deborah31

Didn't she have the personality and charisma of a wet kipper from memory???LOL

Think she's too serious, need someone 'lighter' and 'fluffier' and more camera friendly imo.
Obviously there needed to be a woman on the panel, 'Alan Carr' in drag would of been brilliant!!

Seriously tho, would rather of had, Karen H , Ola,  Camilla, or any of the other ex female dancers from previous series.

LOL Aways nice to start the day with a laugh. Thanks Deborah... I know its gone 9am, so not exactly the start of the day, but we were up in the night with our dog. She heard a fox going through the garden
LOL
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
BambionIce View Drop Down
Penis FlyTrap
Penis FlyTrap

Quote BambionIce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 21:22
A wonderful ballerina, but she made zippo impression on me as a judge during her guest slot.

At least Len can rest easy that his position as the "technical expert" on the panel won't be challenged.

Mind you, it could've been worse.  Karen, for all her undeniable knowledge, is televisual Marmite, and personally, I can't stand the stuff!
salsa-addict View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote salsa-addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 08:45
Fantastic dancer and came across as pleasant but BORING as a judge. At least Karen would not have been boring, though I am not sure I would have wanted her. Shame it needs to be a female judge as I think Ian Waite would be brilliant in that position - he would know what he is talking about, give constructive criticism and he has a sparkle to his personality.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 10:47
Maybe there could of been a male contestant added to the judging panel, after all there's already two queens on itWink

Darcy may of been a fantastic ballerina, and I have nothing against her personally, but maybe she didn't need a personality for it???

They need a more 'show bizzy' person imo, especially for a Saturday Entertainment spot.

BBC have had a brain fart on this one!!!!LOL

anniemay View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote anniemay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 15:25
As talented as Darcy is, I would have preferred someone with Ballroom & latin experience.  I think Karen would have driven some folk mad, but at least she knows how things should be.  It could be worse, it could have been some 5 min. wonder from the pop music world.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>