I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Chat
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Margi's UK holiday

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 12:54
It's not so bad right now, Deb. 26°c yesterday, felt like 30°c. I'm just about to get some more sunbathing in right now.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 23:01

I've just booked a week in Wales  (dyserth) in July,not sure if you are going there on your UK trip Margi?

I haven't been for approx 35 years! used to go most years as a child , we stayed in caravan, it was very basic then, no loo, shower, or running water, and gas lighting
it was a relatives (my sister's  welsh in-laws)caravan there in Penmaenmawr, not far from Conway (the only way we could afford a holiday).
Looking forward to seeing (hopefully) Conway castle, and Caernarfon Castle again, also Llandudno.

Edited by deborah31 - 25 May 2012 at 23:03
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2012 at 03:28
We will be in Wales for 1 1/2 days. We do go to Caernarvon castle and the train station with the really long name. On the tour we leave London for Stonehenge, Portsmouth, Plymouth, Manchester, Wales and continue on the west coast with quite a few stops along the way to Scotland for 6 days and then the east coast back to London. The actual tour goes for 15 days, but we are in London doing our own sight seeing for almost 5 days. We bought the London Pass to avoid some of the queues at some places we want to see.
I think we have distant relatives in Cardiff who moved from Australia to the UK 20 years ago, but they probably don't know our part of the family.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2012 at 14:30
everyone must go to the station with the really long name!
Friends of ours from Ghana, who now live in Canada had a week here last year, and went there, they sent me the photo!!  Unfortunately it was the week we were in Holland, so didn't get to see them on their trip to England.
I used to enjoy running around Canaervon Castle as a child, will be interesting to see what I think of it as an adult.
I like Portsmouth, my brother-in-law lives there, in one of the old naval officers quarters/houses -within spitting distance of the Isle of Wight Ferry, he's a keen diver, and came to stay with us when we lived in Clovelly, even had all his diving gear flown over (tanks excepted) by his Post office buddies.
Probably you'll see /go on HMS Victory/Mary Rose etc.. whiile your'e there.
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 09:24
Originally posted by MargiABC

I arrive in London next week. I hope you put on some good weather for me.

Thanks for everyone's comments. I'll update when I find some wifi spots.
It's lovely weather at the moment but it's forecast to break next week. Bring a brolly!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 23:47
I arrived yesterday at morning at 6.30am. The hotel was good enough to find us a room when we got there in the morning, even though normal check in is at 2pm. It felt good to have a shower after 22 hours of travelling. I took Deborah's advice about the mobile and organised a UK sim card for my phone. This one came with unlimited internet access.
We bought a London Pass before we left home, which allows us to go to some attractions and not have to queue up for tickets and get discounts on souvenirs from those attractions. I have very sore feet today. We went to the Churchill War Rooms and the Tower of London. I always imagined that the Tower was a single tower. Both were very interesting.
We bought heaps of Diamond Jubilee souvenirs for family and friends. Some were tasteful and some were tacky. We posted some home as we haven't started the tour yet and didn't want to lug them around. We are planning to go to the Globe Theatre, London Bridge, the WWII experience and the British Museum before we start the tour.
Thanks for putting on the good weather for me, although I know it will be a bit wet later this week.

Edited by MargiABC - 30 May 2012 at 00:00
Rose View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Madam Whiplash

Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 10:38

Glad you arrived safe and sound Margi and that you have enjoyed your sight seeing so far ..

Glad the weather is holding out for you ...

Have a lovely tour and relax and enjoy ..
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 16:31
good idea to post stuff back, -if not in a rush for it, post it surface mail, they say a few months, but sometimes it's about 6 weeks, I used to post Economy Air from Australia (doens't exist now i know, tried to do it when i was last there)  every 1kg over on your flight back can be very expensive!!!
- plus like you say you have to lug it around for the whole trip! (unless you can leave it at left luggage at heathrow, or wherever you fly back from)

MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2012 at 18:53
2 good days so far on the tour. Went to Stonehenge yesterday. That was impessive. We went to Winchester inthe afternoon and went into Winchester Abbey. I felt strange walking over the graves in the Abbey, but its hard to avoid as they literally are wall to wall. We did find Jane Austen's grave. My sister has been very impressed so far. Not only does she like reading Jane Austen novels, she trained as a history teacher so is in raptures over what we have seen so far.
We went to Portsmouth in the afternoon but did not have enough time to do the naval museums there.
We went to Osbourne House on the Isle of Wight this morning and did the tour of the house. It was so nice to see paintings, sculptures and other items used in the house or given as gifts between Prince Albert and Queen Victoria. The grounds were beautiful as well. This afternoon we did a slight detour and stopped at the Tolpuddle Martyrs Museum. I remember studying them in Modern History at school as they also feature in Australian history as they were transported to Australia in the 1830s.

Edited by MargiABC - 02 June 2012 at 18:56
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2012 at 12:45
looks like you've got 'Melbourne ' Weather now, raining here in Norfolk, and London, at least there's no flies!
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2012 at 15:22
Where are you going next Margi? Are you stopping off in the West Country?
Bristol and Bath are worth a visit and it's going to be a nice day Monday!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Rose View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Madam Whiplash

Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 11:38

Sp pleased you are having a good Time here Margi .. Uk is a great place re history for your sister Margi ..

Did you catch any of the Boat Pageant on the Tv - such a great shame re the weather ..

Enjoy your touring and look forward to your next news up date ..

MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 15:54
Originally posted by Jo Bird

Where are you going next Margi? Are you stopping off in the West Country?
Bristol and Bath are worth a visit and it's going to be a nice day Monday!

we went to Bath today. Very crowded. As well as people out enjoying the bank holiday, lots of tourist groups as well. I was in awe of the Roman Baths. I didn't mention earlier, but at the end of the tour we fligh to Italy to do a 13 day tour before going home. We thought if its 22 hours to get here, we might as iwell see some of Europe as well. It might be a while before we get back this way again. I am looking forward.to going to Pompeii.
We are travelling to Bristol right now for our overnight stop.
This morning we went to Glastonbury Abbey and saw where King Arthur was once buried.
Our coach driver has been very good. Some of the roads we have had to drive through have been very narrow. Glad he was driving.
We saw some of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations on the Thames on T V yesterday and saw the replay last night

Edited by MargiABC - 04 June 2012 at 16:04
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 17:01
Yesterday we were in Plymouth. We went on a short cruise. After that we made our way to St Ives via Mont St Michael ( I think that' s what it was called). We went through Princeton and had dinner at the Dartmoor Inn. We picked up a local guide who told us creepy ghost stories related to.the Moors such as the Officer's Pond and the creepy hairy hands said to cause road accidents.
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 17:08

So glad you got to the Romans Baths. They are amazing. I love going there. Bristol is great too. I hope you'll be able to walk, or at least drive, over the suspension bridge.

And if you can get the driver to do a detour... come down to weston-s-mare for a walk on the beach and fish and chips! 

Edited by Jo Bird - 04 June 2012 at 17:09
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 23:42
You''ll be exhausted after all this travelling!!!
Italy will be sooooooo HOT!! Hope you have decent aircon when you're there.
Pompeii was our favourite, I took my daughter on an 8 day tour of Italy last year at the beginning of July, it was tiring, but enjoyable. Wish we 'd stayed the day tho, and made our own way back to our hotel (it was on the train line, -there is a station at Pompeii!!)
If you like a cup of tea/coffee, beware Italian hotels do not have tea/coffee making faciilities in their room!!! and they have funny 3 pin plugs too, not your average European two pin!

You'll probably go up Vesuvius (by coach, then last 10 min walk yourselves)
Amalfi coastline, and Amalfi great too, of course full of tourists!! loads of Americans when we were there.
Get your photo taken by the coliseum (posing with the centurions!!- everybody does it)- but don't get ripped off, we payed 20 Euro's for the pleasure, but others paid 40!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>