I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Chat
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Margi's UK holiday

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Margi's UK holiday
    Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 16:50
I am working out my budget for my holiday spending. What price range should I budget for a typical pub meal or restaurant meal (not fine dining)? I will be on a coach tour for 75% of the time and all breakfasts on the tour are included. Only some dinners are included, and we will be in London for the first few days, then heading SW and clockwise around the UK, Wales and Scotland.
Any comments or help would be most appreciated.
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 18:37
You're coming to the UK. How exciting! Is it your first visit?
I'm in Somerset where prices are much cheaper than London (£10-15 for a pub meal; £15-20 for a restaurant meal). 
There's lots of nice places to visit... Wells and Cheddar to name a few and the Roman Baths. Hope you enjoy your visit nod

Edited by Jo Bird - 15 Apr 2012 at 18:48
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 23:22
Thanks Jo, this will help me work out my budget, since Au$1 is currently equal to .655 pounds. This will be my first visit and I am really looking forward to it.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 19:01
Must say we are cheapskates! rarely eat out at home, save it for holidays!!  (plus my husband eats out a lot when he is in Aberdeen, or away on business so gets fed up of it)
When we do tho, usually do the usual 'Sub-way' - kids love it (£3.00 currently all day lunch deal, includes sandwich, drink, and cookie/crisp) or even Macdonalds!!!!! - great deals there for cheap snacks deals, i usually get the healthy wrap!! (i am trying) or a 'happy meal'!!
Depends how long you are here for really, and what your budget is.
You can get some good deals in the summer here in Norfolk at the hotels on the Broads (ie 4.99  for a buffet, i find it's the drinks that knock up the prices)

We'vejust go tback from Portugal, to eat out there was really cheap, Meal for 4 for example with desserts, soft drinks and a bottle of wine 66 Euros!! (wine was about 7 euro's in the restaurant)- why I've been offline, takes me 2 days to try and get back into home life again, and stop feeling like i'm on a plane (get's harder for me the older i get)

Let me know if you make it to Norfolk would be nice to catch up with an Aussie if only for a meal!!!! or if you want to sleep for 2 days!! I slept for 2 days at my friends in Dulwich/Hurlestone Park, when i was in Sydney, travelling is very tiring!! She was going to take a couple of days off, but i told her i just needed to sleep during the week!!(and get over the flights/jet lag etc.)

Deb.xox
depending how long you are here, i recommend a UK Sim card too for your phone, I usually get one when I'm in Aus, as it just saves tons if you need to phone locally etc.... I tend to take an old unlocked phone, and use that if i go anwhere over 2 weeks

Edited by deborah31 - 17 Apr 2012 at 19:05
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Jo Bird View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Jo Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 07:30
Margi. The prices I gave you include drinks... a couple of soft ones or an alcoholic one.
Just realised I missed that info out when I read deborah's post.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 11:09
Thanks for your kind offer Deborah, but I have a very full itinerary as we are on a coach trip for the majority of the time. Thanks for the tip about the phone.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 17:13
not a problem, i just know how tiring coach travel is (did a week last year in Italy with my daughter, it was exhausting)
Have a great time!
Deb.xox
i'm still debating a trip to Aus, no problem me coming this Xmas, can stay with a friend, but when there's 4 of you, everything is X4, airfaires and accomodation!! I'm trying to convince the family i should come alone,as i have friends, and ex- work colleagues in Sydney, (and Perth)  LOL
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Rose View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Madam Whiplash

Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 19:58

When you coming over margi ? - Hope its not when the Olympic's are here . As the cost of anything will double if they can get away with it ..

MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 08:38
Hi Rose - I am avoiding the Olympics. I know what it is like when the Olympics are on and how crowded the city becomes with additional visitors above the expected number of tourists in spring / summer and the increase in prices that can occur. My accommodation is already paid for, so I don't have to worry about that expense. I'll be there at the end of May, but then realised recently after watching the news that it may coincide with the Queens's Diamond Jubilee celebrations. We may be on a coach tour by then.
When we had the Olympics on in Sydney in 2000, a lot of Sydney siders not interested in the Olympics took advantage of cheap overseas holidays to avoid the crowds.
Rose View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Madam Whiplash

Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 23:30

Have fun Margi .. Uk is a lovely place with beautiful sights ...

I live very very close to the Olympic Park and it is going to be horrendous around here .. Some Train stations are entry or exit only - some Rds are close altogether.. My son who drives these Rds ( belivering ) now will have to work after 10 at night .. 2 sons will have no work for 8 plus weeks - as they work on underground rail Maintenance and all that work is stopping - as they are closing the stations later than normal, so no time for them to get on track and work before the stations are open again .. we are not looking forward to it at all ..
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 05:05
In the CBD, they painted "look this way" onto the road near the curb so visitors who came from countries that drive on the wrong side of the road (UK and Australia drive on the correct side of the road in my opinion) would cross the road and look the correct way to avoid being run over. Parts of the streets in the CBD were closed down so some bus routes did not go to its actual last stop. We had to walk there if we needed to get to that point from the temporary last bus stop. A lot of crowded public transport, even though extra services were put on.
I did enjoy parts of the Olympics - the feel good atmosphere, national pride / patriotism "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie oy oy oy" and the marathon where part of the route was in the next street, parallel to my mother's street.

Another reason we decided not to travel to the UK during the Olympics was that accommodation would have been very tight. We would not have been able to book additional days in the hotel before or after the coach tour, linked with the tour.

Edited by MargiABC - 25 Apr 2012 at 05:20
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 09:52
Originally posted by Rose

Have fun Margi .. Uk is a lovely place with beautiful sights ...

I live very very close to the Olympic Park and it is going to be horrendous around here .. Some Train stations are entry or exit only - some Rds are close altogether.. My son who drives these Rds ( belivering ) now will have to work after 10 at night .. 2 sons will have no work for 8 plus weeks - as they work on underground rail Maintenance and all that work is stopping - as they are closing the stations later than normal, so no time for them to get on track and work before the stations are open again .. we are not looking forward to it at all ..

There speaks a girl after me own heart. I am heartily sick of the Olympics and the Jubilee. All that concerns me is how long we, the tax payer, will be paying for them. I live on the Welsh borders so won't be inconvenienced at all and I'm an athletics fan, but lets face it: We only got these games because one woman pressed the wrong button and also, no matter what Seb Coe (I refuse to call him 'Lord') said and how much they massage the figures it is considerably over budget.

I don't mind the Queen having a beano on the river so long as the whole circus isn't pushed down our throats. I have no problem with her, it''s the parasitic hangers on around her I feel should be slimmed down and weeded out
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
BambionIce View Drop Down
Penis FlyTrap
Penis FlyTrap

Quote BambionIce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 18:15
Here's hoping you have a fabulous time, Margi.  I love this country, and hope it shows itself in a good light to you and all the visitors who'll be coming for those two events I for one am excited about - the Olympics and the Jubilee.

Yes, both will cost money - the former a damned sight more than the latter - but I'm breaking the habit of a lifetime and being optimistic that both will give UK PLC a boost in the long term, and anyway, as a monarchist sports fanatic... it's win-win for me!Clap
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 05:45
I arrive in London next week. I hope you put on some good weather for me.

Thanks for everyone's comments. I'll update when I find some wifi spots.
Rose View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Madam Whiplash

Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 10:43
Safe journey Margi and enjoy this country of ours ..
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 12:28
weather is great i think it was 28C?? yesterday!
we have cricket all weekend (son's games , tonight, saturday , and sunday)
the sun is out again in norfolk

varies tho, much colder up north!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>