I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Dancing On Ice 2012
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Could this be the last ever series?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Could this be the last ever series?
    Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 11:50
I've been reading other forums and even the diehard fans are fed up to the back teeth. Basically it boils down to:

1. Too long
  2. Not enough input from pros
  3. Celebs one hardly knows
  4. Bland judges
  5. Too much of Torville and Dean on the ice and off the ice.
  6. Too much shouting by presenter(s)
  7. Boring format
  8. Predictable final show format

What can be done to save it? Any ideas?

For myself, last year I never even watched the final. One more Bolero would have made me vomit.

killersbee View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue

Quote killersbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 16:51
Strictly is on it's last legs as well, but they cannot seem to part ways with the BBC.

This would only be the last Series if the ITV bosses say so.
Catwoman: "For one if I was a bloke, I would not flirt with you two. I have standards."
Toots: "If I had a figure like Ola's, I'd wear that outfit to Sainsburys!"
moonshine View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote moonshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 16:53
agee with everything you say
except i think there is not enough of t,d dancing would rather watch them each week then the "celebs" anytime
moonshine
BambionIce View Drop Down
Penis FlyTrap
Penis FlyTrap

Quote BambionIce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 18:42
In general I'd concur - but I wouldn't call Katarina or Robin "bland".  They're fair, informative and don't resort to personal abuse. As judges it's not their role to be "personalities".
Too long? Too much needles chat by the presenters (and Karen Barber)? Not enough of the pros? Yes, definitely, and the T&D point is certainly debatable.

However, the absence of a certain look-at-me-I'm-really-controversial-aren't-I judge, (despite his replacement being a grade one irritant) has made this series more watchable than the last one for me.  That puts me in the minority I suppose but hey - I don't mind being differentBig%20smile
littlesue View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote littlesue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 19:20
Originally posted by killersbee

Strictly is on it's last legs as well, but they cannot seem to part ways with the BBC.

Was'nt the last series of Strictly the most sucessful in the way of viewing figures?
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 20:07
Originally posted by littlesue

Originally posted by killersbee

Was'nt the last series of Strictly the most sucessful in the way of viewing figures?

Apparently it was Sue. That's what I heard, but maybe killersbee knows something we don't?
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 09:23
Maybe the GBP are just 'not into' Ice Skating??en masse
I think it could be an even bigger hit in skating countries, such as Canada, The Netherlands, Norway , Russia etc.. where the ice is a way of life, and not a minority sport. (altho maybe no journey, as everyone skates even my friends 74 year old mother in Canada!! skates better than any of us )
Has it increased the number of Ice Skaters in the UK?? I doubt it, I think the one in NOrwich is going into receivership, and it's part of a chain in the UK I think. I think it still remains an exclusive and elistist sport for many.

Maybe we should try a roller blading show next?? at least more accessible, and cheaper than Ice Skating, that would sack T&D tho!! (unless they adapted!!) and something that the kids could take to and do in the streets!
Failing that why not a 'skate boarding' challenge show, something the younger generation would be more interested in too.

Maybe it's more popular in Scotland (big Curling country too) where they tend to do more sports in ice/cold???

Does Australia have a version of this show?? I doubt it, I struggled to find an Ice Rink when I lived there.

meant to add, when i lived and grew up in Manchester, I had to take 2 buses to reach Altrincham Ice Rink (a journey of 2 hours  total each way), and it was expensive, I  bought 2nd hand skates, so i could afford to go once a week as a teenager. There was no way i could have ever had lessons in either skating or dancing, and with the recession these days, it's too costly to encourage the kids for most people (public skating is currently £7.00 - £9.00 incl. skate hire)

Edited by deborah31 - 17 Feb 2012 at 11:15
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
BambionIce View Drop Down
Penis FlyTrap
Penis FlyTrap

Quote BambionIce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 11:21
There certainly was an Aussie version at one time - T&D were involved with it, and Maria Filipov won it if I remember correctly with her partner.  As for Russia - I have a feeling there were 2 versions at on stage, one involving T&D's old friends Bestemianova & Bukin, the other with more Olympic champions than you could shake a stick at.  I've seen clips on Youtube of that, and the standard is way higher than ours - no doubt because most of the celebs have some skating experience from childhood.

killersbee View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue

Quote killersbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 14:04
Originally posted by littlesue

That was due to the anti-X Factor protest because of that show's horrible changes. It may have had high rating, but I must be in the minority who hates that circus show, it's like DWTS but with Strictly in the name.
Catwoman: "For one if I was a bloke, I would not flirt with you two. I have standards."
Toots: "If I had a figure like Ola's, I'd wear that outfit to Sainsburys!"
fluff View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote fluff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 10:55
I don't think it will be the last series, as ratings are still pretty good in real terms and ITV would have to work hard to find something to match it.  However, ratings are down, so they should think carefully about what they want from the show. 

One of the most universal criticisms is that it's just too long, with too many adverts and too many celebrities on the starting line-up.   I'm certain that ratings would be higher with a shorter series, and leaner shows, but ITV may have decided thay'd rather have 12 weeks and the associated longer shows averaging 7.5 million than 10 weeks of shorter shows averaging 9 million.

I've no idea how much money the competitions bring in, but they are the most tiresome filler ever.   I wouldn't mind competitions with a better connection to the series such as tickets to the finals, or the tour, but competitions for random holidays is just an abuse IMO.

In terms of encouraging skating, I'm sure it must have some effect, but sadly not as big an impact as it could be.  I'd say the blame for that needs to be shared at both ends.    I think more time should be spent bigging up the sport and the basic skills of figure skating, which used to happen more when there was a defrosted show where Robin got to give proper explanations of the moves.   In the early days, there was a regular "required element", so the general public could become versed in some of the skating jargon, and there was also the year when they ran a competition for amateurs to go on tour with them.   That was all positive, but these days it feels more removed from what a normal person, or aspiring serious competitor would do at the rink.

At the other end, I think the coverage of serious skating in this country is dreadful.  I watched the red button coverage of the European Championships on the BBC and it was painful.  It wasn't suitable for any but the keenest of enthusiasts.  No attempt was made by the BBC to give an accessible introduction to who was skating, what the different disciplines were, what the rules were etc.   I could see the typical DOI fan dipping in, then dipping staight out again.  For all the talk of filler on DOI, at least they don't force you to watch them sweep the ice!

It is also unhelpful that some people in the competitive side of things have been quite ungracious about DOI.  I'm sure they have their reasons, and of course they are entitled to their opinions, but I think they have missed a trick.  The rules that prevent competitive skaters from having any involvement in a show like DOI is unfortunate too, as I think some kind of joined up promotion would benefit everyone.  

Having the link to current competitive skating would give DOI more credibility, while giving prime time air-time to our serious skaters would give them the kind of profile that means the rest of the media will give column inches to skating, which could only be good for the development of the sport in this country.

I do get the sense that in the last few years there have been more touring ice shows beyond the show's own tour.  I think going to see the DOI, especially watching the professionals do their show routines has encouraged people to see a full show.  Or perhaps I just read about more of them because I'm reading the DOI forums!
@lovingDOI View Drop Down
Fluffer
Fluffer

Quote @lovingDOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 12:32
i think it may go for one more year, only by talk of when the celebs have been hurt this year & pulled out, and it said, oh come back next year etc, i do think a lot more pro stuff should be on it,and jayne & Chris, they work so hard, but never really get to show there skill. we can only see. i do agree with the winning of tour tkts and DOI or pro skaters or jayne & chris stuff for prizes. that would be great. xx lets hope it does do another year, i would love it to xx
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 14:30
I think T&D would get more respect from me if they launched a type of 'get Britain skating' action, maybe try and get the government involved (subsidise with perhaps lottery funding, cheaping skating prices, and more public time to skate) before all the UK Ice Rinks close for good! (altho Olympics and Seb Coe et al take  priority this year!!)
Maybe they do a lot behind the scenes already tho, that I'm not aware of???

This would be putting back something into the sport in the UK, that made them famous.
Chris Dean I imagine still lives in Colarado most of the time, so don't think he could contribute too much , Skating, Ski-ing , hockey, big way of life over there in the Rockies. It is an expensive sport tho, (rink time extortionate, my friends sons plays Hockey, so Ice time, plus Kit- phenomenal costs) Most of the outdoor skating is of course 'free' over there in the winter, I used to skate pushing my two around in a double buggy on the ice!!- great fun, and something to hold onto!!!
I also lived in the Netherlands for 10 years, skating is BIG there too, all the kids have skates, rinks are much cheaper , more accessible, outdoor on 'pleins' or squares in towns is all over in the winter too. All the Christmas markets have the traditional 'ice skating rink' for the winter months.  Maybe it's just too much of a minority sport here??? UK people don't like the cold, and maybe are too lazy to get their family out there?? Would rather stay in and watch X-Factor IMO.nod
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 15:04
Originally posted by deborah31

Does Australia have a version of this show?? I doubt it, I struggled to find an Ice Rink when I lived there

Australia had a version with T & D in 2006, a few months after the first UK DOI. It was hosted by Jamie Durie (Celebrity gardener / presenter) and was on Channel 9. There was no tour after the first UK series that year as T & D and some of the pro skaters (Matt Evers and Kristina Lenko) came out from the first series to Sydney to do the show. The other skaters were a mixture of international skaters, some based in Australia including Pavel and his Australian wife and Maria Fillipov. Maria partnered Jake Wall and they won. It was a virtual copy of the first UK series with the some of the same choreography, songs and costumes used as there was little time to prepare new material. The number of episodes were cut down due to loss of a couple of celebrities from injuries. Unfortunately for us it was axed after the first series, fortunately for you as the UK got the tours.
This is how an Aussie got into Blue Room through DOI.
Some of the celebrities were Lara Bingle, Jake Wall both of whom did one of the DOI tours one year. Karl Stefonovic was also on it with some cricketers and other sports people.
I have been a fan of DOI ever since. I do get to watch it, even though its about 6-8 weeks later here. I have also bought all available DVDs through Amazon. I was always worried that I couldn’t watch them as we are region 4, but apparently all newer DVD players in Australia are not allowed to be locked to a region.

Edited by MargiABC - 20 Feb 2012 at 04:17
emasl View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote emasl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 09:52
If the floor managers would stop encouraging the shrieking and screaming from the audience it would help. My mute is used for most of this show.  Strictly is exactly the same and there have been lots of complaints.

I would like to see T and D do a proper routine each week as they did when this series first started.

they need to get better celebs, Strictly had a dreadfyl year when nobody had heard of half those taking part tho I appreciate that not many will want to risk life and limb on the skting rink

Louis W obviously does not like Katerina but wish he would try to hide it a bit better unless he has been told to do the Bad Boy bit.

Chris Bleakley lives up to her name - bleak and cold with a fixed rictus grin.  Was rather fond of Holly as she had a warmth about her that was quite endearing but cannot take to Miss B at all. Appreicate that this is only my personal opinion

Get rid of Gubba whose commentary at the end of each routine is toe curlingly dreadful

I do love this show and the standard of skating has improved so much from Series 1.
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 13:26
I agree about the audience, and I too am finding it hard to like Louie S.  I don't agree about T&D, a little less of them would go down well in this house, and alittle more of the pros having a spot on their own. It could easily be done with the ones who have been eliminated. I love Tony's commentary, I swear he makes up half the terms he uses. Do you remember whne he lost if the night Todd went out of control? Highlight of the series for me

i would much rather have Holly too, but don't dislike Christine.
emasl View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote emasl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 17:52
I think Louie knows what is expected of him and does the camp thing to death. Mildly amusing at first but not so funny after a few weeks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>