I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Dancing On Ice 2012
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kyran Bracken's DOI Blog Week 4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kyran Bracken View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin
The Real Deal

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kyran Bracken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kyran Bracken's DOI Blog Week 4
    Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 17:07

I'm going to start by saying congratulations to The Blue Room Dancing on Ice Twitter DOI2012UKfor hitting 13,000 followers, well done guys, keep up the good work!

First of all, what a wonderful twist last week that was, entertaining and so well thought out A great side effect was that it reduced the time it took to get all the skaters competing inside six songs and not twelve. I wish they could do more of this later in the show. I imagine they will do a solo week and a group week to mix it up but I am sure they will come up with something else to keep us on our toes.

There were some very close battles; the most intense being Matt and Jorgie. I thought Matt may win this but there was a telling story revealed by Christine, the public had Jorgie as the winner. Remember the final is purely the public vote. I don't believe it is in Matt’s interest to be top dog every week as the public will in my opinion side with the adorable underdog Jorgie.

But what about the other contests? Brianne and Sebastien were miles better with Sebastien doing a great spin. Jennifer was not bad but it would have been interesting to see if the public are voting for her or Dan Whiston? Charlene was always going to struggle against Heidi and so too was Corey, he was never going to overcome Chemmy. But the real stunning verdict was Andy losing out to Rosemary. I could not believe it! Whilst it was not a brilliant skate, I feel the judges just voted for Rosemary because it was the first week she hadn’t stumbled. Also, being in the air for most of her routine masked her skating, what little there was.  I was as stunned as Andy when she was saved ahead of him.

Chico deserved his battle win over Sam but it has to be said that Sam is  definitely getting better. All in all, a great show which saw the back of Hollywood legend Corey. I have to say I was never really a fan of his skating and ‘larger than life’ personality. It is amazing to see a personality who genuinely believes that everybody is wrong and they are right. He cannot skate and is a poor dancer. I am not sure why he was so upset last week. He is possibly the worst I have seen and that is saying something. On top of being bad at skating his Jackson moves were pretty rubbish. Did anyone think he was 'the best dancer in the competition'? It does make great viewing though, I had no idea how Barry he was going to become. Can you imagine Jason was still a judge? Corey would have been lambasted and would have walked, although it could have improved ratings.

On that subject, inexplicably, the ratings are down this year, I wonder whether the show misses the bit of drama that Jason brought. I am a BIG fan of the current judges but we all can't deny we enjoyed some of Jason's one-liners. The line was often crossed like with Karen and Denise but it all made for more pantomime – and in turn ratings - What do you think?

Thinking about the forthcoming few weeks, I would like to highlight some factors that will be crucial in the skaters going forward. The biggest effect on votes in my opinion is in what order one skates. If you are first out your presence is often forgotten by the time the voting comes around. For example, on the Dancing on Ice tour, if I was first out I NEVER did the Bolero. But when it changed half way through the tour, I did lots. Laura Hamilton was runner up last year and didn’t skate any Boleros on tour, as she was always first out.

Secondly, I think music choice is crucial. The more upbeat, current and fun, the more likely you are to be remembered. Therefore, no matter how well you skate it maybe that the judges and public are brought along by the music. I look forward to this week’s music to see who benefits from their music selections.

I would love to know what you all think about the personalities in the show and how well they are being received. One thing the show will want to create is competition. They did this with me and Claire Buckfield and I am sure they want to do the same this year with Matthew against Jorgie. A lot of this is in the editing so I wonder how much the editing can sway your vote.

On that note rather than give you my opinion on the personalities I would love your opinion on how they are coming across. For example I would say Chico is coming across fun and bubbly but a bit cheesy. I would be more likely to vote if there was less cheese. I will leave you to do the rest.

Catch me on Twitter KyranBracken

Til the next time

Kyran
Follow me on Twitter Kyran Bracken Twitter

Also associated with Gameplan Solutions
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 17:47
Re: Chico. I'm feeling so guilty. I used to loath the fellow and now I think what a really nice chap he is and I'm rooting for him.

I'm glad Corey has gone although I thought he was the better skater in the skate off. That rats tail really irritated me and I kept wishing someone would snip it off.

I am a Dan fan, but I'm not keen on Jennifer at all. The head-down 'anquish' and OTT celebration when she got through was a bit of a turn off. I know you should vote for the skater, not the personality, but at my age I'm too old to change!

I think Rosemary will be out this coming week, shame but there you are

I don't watch soap operas so never know who half these people are but I really like Jorgie... is that how you spell it?

I like Sebastien too, he's so gentle. I wish they had had that style of running when I was a teenager... I'd have given it a go.!

Chemmy is a true Olympian and upped her game last week. She got my vote for being so patient with Corey.

Off to do my ironing now. Please excuse spelling everyone these are my old reading glasses our dog (black lab) chewed up my others

As for the others, I've not really made my mind up yet
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
littlesue View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote littlesue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 21:12
I have to say I agree about the 'first out' thingy, I think in all the televised talent shows if you are on first you have to be really good to survive.  I always think of the Britains got Talent final the year Sun Boyle was in it. In the final they had a dance group out first but then put Diversity out last who went on to win. I always thought the first group were equally as group and if they would have been on last it may have been a diferent result.
BambionIce View Drop Down
Penis FlyTrap
Penis FlyTrap

Quote BambionIce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 21:44
Interesting stuff, Kyran.  I have to agree, Corey's "personality" didn't come across well at all, and as for being the best dancer on the show... I can only assume he wasn't watching his competition.

On the Jason issue - I used to hit the mute button every time Holly asked his opinion on anything, on the grounds that his whole attitude seemed to me to be "look at me, I'm controversial".  Perhaps I'm odd in not missing his ritual humiliation of contestants, but it made me cringe.  I much prefer this panel (even Louie) combining honesty with constructive criticism.   Even so - I was gobsmacked by Rosemary being saved!
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 09:09
I for one am certainly not missing Jason and his transplant!! (if only it had been a personality , instead of a hair!! LOL) Glad that nasty little man has gone along with his personal snidey critisicm's. Let's hope he's been deported back to Aus!!

Am loving Katarina, my favourite judge now , would love to see her actually perform on the ice?? Much chance of that on the T&D show??? looks very doubtful.

Am really enjoying Chico too, what a personable lovely guy, very humble. Comes across really well imo.
Also really enjoying the skating of the gentle quietly spoken Sebastien, he imo is the only one that can possibly catch Matt, and Jorgie (at least match Matt in the fitness stakes)
I think still Male skaters, have it much more difficult (altho i wish Robin would stop with partnership critisicms, when did he last skate with partner??Confused).
I think a week where no lifting is allowed, then we can really compare Apples to Apples, instead of Apples to Pears.  I would like to see them change professional partners one week too!! now wouldn't that be interesting, see how much they are depending on their partner for confidence/skating etc...

...and finally Sunday night spot is a bit of a bummer for me, why not Saturday's?? busy getting everyone (kids mainly) ready for Monday morning, end of the weekend etc.... also did not know majority of people skating at all, and by far TOO MANY ADVERTS (why I always Sky plus, and NEVER  watch live...)
Would of liked to have seen Karen's role made bigger on the show, instead of being shrunken to almost nothing, don't see any point her currently  on the stage on Sunday, she may as well just be backroom staff now.

Glad Cory has gone, don't know what he brought to the show, he just appeared petulant, and whiney, now that was a partnership that didn't exist!! He just made the others look even better.   I'm still disappoint Andy A went week one, he shouldn't of!!

Edited by deborah31 - 02 Feb 2012 at 09:30
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 09:34
ps I think Karen has had the last laugh at Jason!
Quote from Jason' If your opionion counted, you'd still be on the panel'
ha...ha.
or maybe even just the show Jason!!LOLLOLLOL
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 11:26
Louie can't believe his luck and is so showbizzie it is OTT. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt in the hope that he will calm down, but he seems to be getting worse. Some of Jason's comments were spot on re: dancing, but the personal comments were unacceptable
Inside every elderly person there is a young person wondering what the hell happened
 Post Reply Post Reply