I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Dancing On Ice 2012
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kyran Bracken's DOI Blog Week 1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kyran Bracken View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin
The Real Deal

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kyran Bracken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kyran Bracken's DOI Blog Week 1
    Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 16:12

Hello Blue Room,

Glad to be back!

Happy New Year and congratulations on the continuing success of your Dancing On Ice Twitter DOI2012UK

Well, what a difference a year makes! Dancing On Ice 2012 kicked off with the most incredible opening I have ever seen. If you missed it, go watch it on or ITV's iPlayer - awesome.

It has long been rumoured that Torvill and Dean were looking to do less performances with their ageing bodies so thank the Lord they defied the rumours!

I was nervous for the celebrities this year, knowing how daunting the experience can be. It was also nice to see they got rid of the first week public vote off, meaning relatively unknown celebrities, like Laura Hamilton last year, found themselves in the skate off.

Something that just had to change was the judging panel. Emma Bunton just agreed with everything Robin said and had little dancing critique other than saying she fancied some of the boys, so I never enjoyed listening to her. However, I was surprised that they got rid of Jason. Whilst I agree he was sometimes too harsh on the celebrities, it did make compulsive viewing. I imagine he named his price and ITV called his bluff. So it was a major surprise that they opted for Louie Spence as he is more of the pantomime buffoon. So imagine what a surprise I got when he was both entertaining AND spot on with his scores and critiques.

But for me, the new star of the show was new judge Katarina Witt. She knows her own mind, giving great constructive comments that were also very relevant. The fact that she has more gold medals than I care to list, gives her so much credibility that I think was so lacking last year. With the right balance in the judging panel, the better skaters will go through, which of course is how it should be.

My only criticism of the show was the blandness of the set. I know they are back at Elstree and changed the kiss and tell location with the judges’ position; I just thought it could have looked better. Also it felt weird not seeing Holly with Philip. I thought Christine did a good job and it will take time to see a bond between the presenters.

So what of the new celebrities? The skate on, introducing all at once, took some time. It was a nervous introduction with many stumbles and wobbles on the way. Already it is easy to tell who can skate and who is struggling. The lifts and poise they had in only a few seconds gave a glimpse of the standard they are at.

But first what of last week’s showdown? I was in awe of Jorgie and her first performance. Beautiful and almost of a professional standard . Her talent, beauty and accent remind me of a certain Chris Fountain (a female version of course). She has bags of skill and bottle and will be tough to beat. But as Chris Fountain found to his cost, being brilliant so early does not hand you the trophy; in fact it can be a hindrance.

The rest of the crop did a fine job week one. I can't remember the last time we saw such a strong skate off. Personally, I would have liked to have seen Mark in the skate off as the skating judges would have made sure 'he was no longer standing' (sorry for the pun on his song).

Being a skier, I don't know why, but I expected Chemmy to be better given her background, but I suppose snow and ice are totally different. She seems feisty and should go far.

I did not expected Charlene to be so good but to seriously compete she will have to be more adventurous in the lifts. Another surprise was seeing Andy improve so much having seen how bad he was to begin with. He is working with the new pro-skater Vicky Ogden who has skated many times in my shows. Andy is doubly lucky because Vicky is a very well respected coach with her own skating school so she must take some credit for the incredible transformation.

It was tough on Heidi to change partners so soon. Andrei is a strong pro but she looked petrified the whole time and there was no flow; that is why I was disappointed to see Andy go. There could have been so much more to come from him. I was surprised Robin went for Heidi but maybe he wants to see were they can go after a proper amount of time together.

Last week’s competitors get to chill out and watch the rest of the bunch go through the ordeal. My guess is that top of the bunch will be Matthew Wolfenden who is skating with my ex-partner Nina Ulanova. Now she is truly amazing. Apparently he is very good so I imagine he will be more than a match for Jorgie. I can't imagine Sam will be much better than Mark, nor will Laila or Rosemary be particularly interesting. Hitting the headlines for the wrong reasons is Corey for not getting on with his partner and of course Jennifer, who says she will walk if Dan Whiston her partner can't skate this Sunday. It will be very interesting to see how it plays out. I can't see Corey winning over the judges or the public so my guess is a Corey and Rosemary skate off with Mark and Laila relying on the public to keep them out of it.

Signing off til next week; don't forget you can comment on my twitter, would love to hear from you, whether you agree with me or not!

Kyran

© Kyran Bracken and The Blue Room please link back & credit if reproduced

Follow me on Twitter Kyran Bracken Twitter

Also associated with Gameplan Solutions
Eviesmum View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Twilight Mad

Quote Eviesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 21:16
Aww thanks Kyran, it's always interesting to read your blogs, so I'm really glad you are back this year again.
killersbee View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue

Quote killersbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 22:44
Good to see you back Kyran.
Catwoman: "For one if I was a bloke, I would not flirt with you two. I have standards."
Toots: "If I had a figure like Ola's, I'd wear that outfit to Sainsburys!"
 Post Reply Post Reply