I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017 > Strictly Frocks
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Finally the Final

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally the Final
    Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 13:36
Well folks, I didn't watch the final all the way through. That's not so unusual for me, I always catch up with it on iPlayer.  what is unusual though, is that I haven't caught up and, truth be told, I am not all that bothered.

And this concerns me, because I love dancing but I am out of love with Strictly.  I made do with the results show this year and might just go look up some individual performances on You Tube.

As for the frocks, well ...

Aliona:
The pink gown was a version of her green one from earlier in the series.  I preferred the green to be honest, but the silhouette was elegant and clean and the dress danced really well.  I felt the fishtail was cut in a bit too much at the knee, but overall a lovely mover. 

The Quickstep gown made another appearance and I still didn't like it!  Insubstantial skirt, uncomplimentary colours. Not the worst, but not the best either!

The showdance costume was fit for purpose. Close fitting leggings so she could be twirled and flung without mishap. I did see the initial design for the costume included a skirt, but this was missing for the routine. Unless she removed it and lashed it across the floor before I started watching?!! But when it comes down to it, wet look leggings are not a great look for anyone!

I was very happy to see the return of the Argentine Tango dress as I adored this the first time.  Such an unusual, but interesting colour. Of course it totally clashes with her hair, but never mind, I just kept my eyes on the dress. The dress was cut very well, so that it did not ride up during the flicks and kicks.  Gorgeous stoning too, absolutely stunning dress to lift the trophy in.

Chelsee:
The Rumba dress was hideous and the worst Chelsee has looked all series.  It looked OK when she stood still, but the moment she started to dance, the swathe of chiffon from the bodice to her wrist just flapped about, making her arms look sloppy and really detracting from the performance.  It made her look sloppy when she wasn't.  Also, I think it was getting in her face, a few times she seemed to be trying to gain her bearings, waiting for it to float downwards.

Her showdance costume was a stunner though. Her hair bounced, her dress bounced, it all bounced! This lovely little dress accentuated the slightest hip movement and was an absolute winner. I want one!!

Chelsee's Pan Am inspired Quickstep dress was a welcome returnee. Very brave to wear a short dress as all her footwork is compeltely exposed. she did a fab job and this dress was so reminiscent of costumes in 'On the Town' and a style I admire. I just wish I could carry it off, I would dress like that every day!

Another 'nice to see you again' dress was her green Jive frock. Still a great mover and the colour really popped under the lights of the Tower.  I wonder if someone on the circuit will buy this one? It would be nice to know if it will be getting a turn on the floor every now and then. It is too nice to be worn just a handful of times!

Kristina:
The toilet roll doll dress was back! A bit OTT for me but then, the whole thing was OTT (I mean ... fans!!!). She rocked it of course, but the bodice was latin inspred not ballroom and I disliked the cut of the frills.  Not her finest!

Her showdance costume was something else! Because she had two costumes under that suit, it had to be loose cut to accommodate the extra material. I think the suit was better for it. Compared to Ola's black suit, which was cut so badly it gave her a dowagers hump, this looked stylish even though the cut was mostly dependant on it having the ability to hide two dresses!  The next dress to be revealed wasn't great.  Obviously some style must be sacrificed for it to fit under the suit, but the seam on the hips looked awkward and clumpy. Lovely colour though.  But of course, the best was saved til last and if you looked hard enough, there it was! Not very much to it, except for a load of swinging beads!  Kristina looked fab though and I was exhausted by this time!

We never got to see her Salsa dress in action and I didn't really get a good look at it, I just noticed that there was a lot of hip on show!

So in reflection, this series has seen some good and bad frocks, but mostly good.  Quite a reversal from the series where all the female celebs were made to look like Wild West showgirls, with fringed short skirts. I think the whole wardrobe team should be applauded for their hard work  They don't always get it right, but when they do ... wow!

I thought I'd finish the frock spot off with a best and worst vote. Which one was your favourite from the series and which one would like to see ceremoniously burned?

Edited by Thess - 21 Dec 2011 at 14:20
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
littlesue View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote littlesue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 20:29
I think my fave was the one Kristina wore, it was a red fitted one, can't remember which dance but she started on the stage behind a curtain
TashaK View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote TashaK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 10:38
My fave had to be Chelsee's show dance dress, I really loved it

My least favourite were the Arge dresses, I just didn't like the cut of them at all, I know that it's not easy to dress for the Arge but they just didn't hit the spot with me, I've seen better!
Before you criticise someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticise them you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.
 Post Reply Post Reply