I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017 > Strictly Frocks
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Semi 'Detached'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Semi 'Detached'
    Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 15:36

Hey peeps. I’m so sorry that this post has been so long in coming.  I have had a lot of family stuff to get done and there has been little time for things sparkly. Do you know, I only got round to watching Strictly last night on catch up. In previous years I have usually managed to watch Strictly on a Saturday and on the occasions when I have had to record it for later viewing, I have been on pins waiting to see it and anticipating the enjoyment.  This year, I have not felt the same way at all and this is no detriment to the dancers or celebs, who I know work their socks off.  I hate what the Beeb is doing, contracting poor dancers, using stupid tricks, theme nights and allowing a ‘certain person’ to perform comedy skits when he should really be dancing. I'm feeling much more detahced from the programme as the weeks fly by ... Cry

Oh I’m glad I got that off my chest. And you didn’t come here to hear me on my soap box did you? No, you came here for the sparkly bits … well here we go!

Aliona:

Charleston - a barely there sailor-girl two-piece which looked cute and flirty, with it’s fringed pelmet, but I thought it was cut far too low on the hips.  Aliona obviously has no body issues, but the bottom half drew attention to her proportions. She has a long body and the low cut just made her legs look short and dumpy.  A cute costume, but didn’t show her in a good light.

Viennese Waltz – I loved the cut of the skirt and the colour, it reminded me of the gown of the 1950’s and it was very similar to Alex’s lilac gown (and Erin had another similar one too. Maybe wardrobe have run out of ideas?!).  But there was something about the way the gold mid section sat, that didn’t look right. On closer inspection the skirt/dofice seam was visible, which gave it a sloppy look. The gold lace I think has been tied around Aliona’s waist and it wouldn’t have taken much to tack it down properly. Pity, it was lovely otherwise.

Alex:

Waltz – oh gorgeous, gorgeous gown. Beautiful colour and cut, I liked the silver over the bust and the way the line was echoed in the floats when Alex went into hold. Gentle wiring in the hem ensured a lively reaction to being twirled and this simply floated across the floor.

Salsa – the colour was lovely, in keeping with her Waltz gown, the bust was a dark rose lace, with a pale pink lace skirt.  I thought the feathers in the skirt were effective, as they amplify any movement, however small and this was a clever design detail.  However, where the skirt joined onto the bodice was ugly.  Straight across and looking a bit tight, it didn’t sit right and spoilt the line.

Chelsee:

Smooth – such a delicate colour that made her look like an ice maiden.  The criss-crossed detailing on the bodice was a nice structural touch, which would have added support and again, she was nice and secure.  The skirt was a bit thin, I would have liked to have seen another layer or two there, but it suited her proportions well.

Paso – wardrobe are def running out of ideas, for this is about the third Paso gown where they have used sheer godets in the skirt, to add material without bulk. Not that I am complaining, it works very well.  The colourway was striking, but I wasn’t keen on the laced split at the hip.  The twisted effect bands of colour accentuated Chelsee’s posture, bringing the eye up and around her torso. Nice design.

Holly:

Argentine Tango – another recycled idea, this time from the myriad of scarlet gowns they have had on, with sheer red stocking.  The stoning wrapped around Holly’s body highlighted her curves and she really suited the strong colour.  I intensely disliked the skirt. It was no more than a single drape of fairly thinnish material, cut into a point. It was far too severe and while I understand that in the AT the look is a lot sleeker, I think that sometimes the look is not as flattering to some ladies as it is to others.

Charleston – hated it.  The colourway was insipid and the whole ensemble made Holly look much much heavier than she is. This must be the most hideous costume in the history of Strictly, apart from the Paso dress Sarah Manners wore when she danced with Brendan.

Kristina:

Samba – my favourite type of Latin dress, tutti frutti colours and wired latin frills. This just screamed ‘SAMBA!’ at me!! Scrumptious colour, and the flames across the bust in complimentary and clashing colours was most effective and the three strips across one hip highlighted Kristina’s hip action.  I could have done without the small frilly trim across the top of the bust, and perhaps this was added to preserve some modesty, but overall I thought this was fab.

Argentine Tango: from one extreme to another. This was dark, severe and serious. The bodice was lovely but again, the skirt was just too severely cut. There was so little about it, that when Jason caught his sleeve in it at one point and it rode up, Kristina looked like she was just wearing a leotard. Nice contrast with the Samba dress though.

In closing I feel very sorry for Holly, that she went crashing out in a week when her last dress did not show her best attributes.  She has had a few doozey’s and some stunners but to go out in grey shorts … oh no no no.

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
 Post Reply Post Reply