I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017 > Strictly Frocks
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Movie Night

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Movie Night
    Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 13:37
Right I have something I need to get off my chest before we crack on.  And that is that I have grown to HATE these bloody themed weeks.  We get substandard dancing owing to pro's trying to cram in trick/stylings because it portrays the film (or whatever theme) and daft costumes to characterise said film.  This week was a curate's egg ....

Ola: looking sharp in a tailored suit, some jet bling on the shoulders and a matching pair of shades.  Yes, very sharp indeed for a night out, but not for dancing.  Against Robbie, in matching suit, there was just too much black, black, black.  The dance looked jumbled because there were times when I wasn't sure who's leg I was looking at and the cut of the jacket was wrong - when Ola was in hold the jacket rode up and sagged badly across the shoulders.  a quick check of Robbie's jacket revealed the same problem.  Not good.

Alex: lovely gown in a gorgeous colour that suited Alex immensely.  The cut was divine, the skirt skimmed her hips and when she was twirled arouns, the fluted hem sent ripples through the skirt.  Unlike Nancy's gown that were pulled down to reveal her shoulders when they weren't really meant to, the sleeves of Alex's dress were nicely cut to show off her shoulders, but to prevent any ride up when in hold.  Really nice gown.

Kristina: another classic ballroom gown. All of Kristina's ballroom gowns (apart from the Foxtrot) have put me in mind of Ginger Rogers and this was no exception.  It danced wonderfully and behaved itself.  Personally I liked the colour but thought it a little pale on Kristina. I think she does the stronger colours better.

Chelsee: probably my favourite latin dress of the night.  The zingy colour really caught the eye and the stoning worked so well, criss crossing her body.  Movie characterisation aside, this dress was actually a pretty good stock latin dress which would work for anyone on the circuit today.  The skirt was cut well, and bounced happily along with Chelsee and the costume department have clearly got the bust under control now, and have made sure that her bodice's are sturdy and safe.  

Aliona: nice simple floaty number, with minimal decoration. Not a lot to say about it, I guess it suited the dance and it floated about in the most ethereal way, but here's the thing ... in competitions, dancers do not change their outfits for each dance and while I could picture Chelsee dancing all the latin dances in her dress, I can't picture Aliona dancing anything other than a Rumba in this. It would look quite ridiculous in  a Paso!

Holly: taking a styling from Nancy's Paso dress, Holly's skirt had sheer full length godets, which allowed the skirt to hang well, without lots of weight or bulk, but allow it to fly up and ripple with movement.  It needed the deep red border at the bottom, to give the skirt some definition and the flashes of red against the black as Holly swirled her skirt, was very dramatic.  Now onto the bodice.  The cut was fine if a bit severe, but I wasn't keen on the red slashes, although I see that they are meant to represent rapier slashes. 

A bit hit and miss for me, roll on next week!

Edited by Thess - 05 Dec 2011 at 13:43
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
 Post Reply Post Reply