I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why Lorraine can't be parted fromher beloved teddy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why Lorraine can't be parted fromher beloved teddy
    Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 10:01

A poignant tribute to her tragic 'love of her life': Why Lorraine Chase can't be parted from her beloved teddy

By Simon Neville

Last updated at 8:37 AM on 24th November 2011

Most people lose their attachment to their favourite stuffed toys decades before they are eligible to collect their pension.

But Lorraine Chase, 60, was left in floods of tears after DJ and former children’s TV presenter Pat Sharp threatened to kidnap and burn her teddy bear Tedwood.

The crisis, now dubbed Tedwood-gate, saw contestants on ITV reality show I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! rowing over the cuddly toy.

Secret%20heartache:%20Actress%20Lorraine%20Chase%20cuddles%20her%20teddy%20bear%20Tedward%20in%20the%20Im%20A%20Celebrity...%20Get%20Me%20Out%20Of%20Here!%20jungle

Secret heartache: Actress Lorraine Chase cuddles her teddy bear Tedward in the I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! jungle

But last night, friends revealed Tedwood is a poignant reminder to the actress of the 'love of her life' John Knight, who died of leukaemia in 1997.

The couple had been together for 20 years.

Mr Sharp told others: ‘I love Lorraine but Tedwood has gotta go, you’ve got to steal it tonight.’

But concerned actress Crissy Rock said: ‘I’m worried about Lorraine’s bear and all the laughing and joking about it. I know she’s 60 years old but if anything happens to that bear I don’t want to be a part of it.'

She added: ‘If they take the bear or do something stupid I will go really mad.'

When Miss Chase learned Tedwood’s possible demise on Monday, she said of Sharp’s plans: ‘He touches my teddy and he’ll see how nice I am.’

Protective:%20Chase%20wasnt%20amused%20when%20Pat%20Sharp%20threatened%20to%20burn%20her%20teddy

Protective: Chase wasn't amused when Pat Sharp threatened to burn her teddy

Sharp, 50, later bragged that he had made the threats in a bid to annoy viewers and thus be chosen to do a Bushtucker Trial.

And last night, the row intensified after friends of Miss Chase claimed the actress is so emotionally attached to the bear because it reminds her of her late boyfriend.

Brian Crawford, owner of the Tramp club in London, who gave her the bear, said Tedwood travels everywhere with her.

He told the Mail: ‘Tedwood means absolutely everything to Lorraine.

‘She has been through a lot of heartache in her life and of course the most awful was when her partner of twenty years, John Knight, died of leukaemia in 1997.

‘She had this teddy which meant the world to her and she was devastated when she lost it.

Tedward%20will%20give%20keep%20you%20company:%20Lorraine%20leant%20her%20teddy%20to%20Mark%20Wright%20when%20he%20was%20forced%20to%20sit%20out%20of%20the%20Jungle%20Arms%20reward

Tedward will give keep you company: Lorraine leant her teddy to Mark Wright when he was forced to sit out of the Jungle Arms reward

‘She is my absolute dearest and closest friend so I bought her this stuffed Steiff teddy to cheer her up.

‘She was absolutely overjoyed and there were a lot of tears shed when I gave him to her.

‘It goes with her everywhere. Lorraine and I have flown first class to tropical islands and little Tedwood has been assigned his own seat in the plane.

Mr Crawford added: ‘It is a shame the other campmates are attacking her for being so attached to the little teddy because she has been through a lot in her life and she is the most lovely person with a truly good heart.

‘She lost the love of her life to cancer and I think her feelings for him were carried over onto the ‘Ted’.'

The actress, who shot to fame as the face of Campari’s iconic advertising campaign in the 1970s, told the Mail earlier this year about the bear.

She said: ‘Tedwood, my little bear, was a replacement for a very dear bear who’d been my companion for 15 years.

Luxury%20item:%20The%20bear%20is%20Chases%20favourite%20item%20in%20camp

Luxury item: The bear is Chase's favourite item in camp

‘He was given to me by a partner, but when that era came to an end I had to give him back because it would have been too painful to keep him.

‘I was so distraught I rang my dearest friend, Brian Crawford, who sent Tedwood to replace him. He’s proof that I have good friends and that life goes on.’ 

Her friend Julia Fieldhouse, who has flown to Australia to support her on the ITV reality show, added: ‘Tedwood goes wherever Lorraine goes. He’s been all over the world, including my house on numerous occasions.

‘However, he’s normally very well behaved. He takes his position on a bedroom dressing table and stays there until he departs to the next location.'

Miss Chase has rarely spoken about her relationship with advertising director John Knight, only saying: ‘His death hit me extremely hard.’

In 2000, she was almost killed in a car crash when the car she was driving plummeted 30ft off a bridge and she had to be cut from the wreckage, leading to part of her ear sewn back on during a four-day hospital stay.

In September, Miss Chase said: ‘When I started my career, I lived with my boyfriend, advertising director John Knight. We split up in the Eighties, but remained close friends until he died of cancer in 1996.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2065512/Im-A-Celebrity-2011-Why-Lorraine-Chase-parted-beloved-teddy.html#ixzz1ecF2kuRK
 Post Reply Post Reply