I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017 > Strictly Frocks
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wembley

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wembley
    Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 23:27
Evening allWink

Wemberley ... Wemberley!  No excuse this year to go to Blackpool as none of the Pro's were competing.  Wembley it was then and another mixed bag from wardrobe ...

First up, Ola in what looked like Alex's catsuit from a few weeks back, minus the drapes.  Ola can carry these off and she looked fab as  usual. Gorgeous crystal stones down the front and back. But I am not a huge fan of catsuits becasue I always think they look wrong at the ankles somehow. On a less than perfect dancer they are a disaster, as they show up any mistakes in the legs. Fortunately Ola does not have that problem!

Alex:  I thought the bodice was lovely. The keyhole back was a nice design touch and the panelled skirt was cut well so as to sit nicely over the hips, but had a good bit of weight too to dance well. The lace looks like the same lace used in Lulu's Halloween dress, without the red running through it and I loved the way it caught the light. The white skirt showing through the black lace at the hip was a nice feature, as it made the transition from black to white much less severe. 

Holly: hideous, totally hideous. I didn't like the nude effect top, or the bow thing at the neck which kept getting caught in her hair. From the length to the three quarter length sleeves, it didn't look right on her, as if she had put on a smaller persons dress. Hateful.

Anita: great contrast with the hot pink and black, it really popped on the floor.  Good cut on the skirt, it bounced well and of course the feathers helped.  When she danced her Samba Walks, the skirt really accentuated her hip action.  Interesting to see Anita wearing pink shoes. Dancers wear nude shoes these days, but back in my day we dyed our shoes to match our dresses, so this took me right back!  Anyway, I think this is by far the nicest Latin dress Anita has worn. She looked great.

Aliona: well i thought it was quite a stais covered up little number but then Harry unwound her and there it was!  Gorgeous colour, I adore red as a colour for Latin dresses as it catches the eye.  The sequined and beaded fringing is perfect for Latin as it bounces and shimmers and doesn't stop moving. The double straps at the back make this a very safe two piece to wear. My only beef is Aliona's hair. The colour clashed with the costume and all those tendrils looked a bit messy.

Flavia: I'm torn on this one. The cut is very late 70's and I loved the way the skirt danced. The nets underneath gave it body and supported the full skirt on top. The slight catch on the front hip resulted in a soft ruffle which was enough to allow the skirt to bounce very nicely. The silhouette of the dress was lovely and put me in mind of the dresses in the 'America' number in West Side Story. It really suited Flavia, but I really hated the colour!

Chelsee: it has become en vogue to emulate showgirl costumes with these feathered bustles.  The thing is, the dress itself has to complement the feathers and I didn't think this did.  It just looked like the feathers were tacked on a dress they weren't designed for.  The bodice would have looked much better without the straight hem and maybe instead, some fringing in a small point, or some ruched satin. Another halter for Chelsee and a square neckline which looked really good on her. 

Krinstina: wow, it's the attack of the 80'! Fun and frothy skirt, loved it, although I thought the pink chiffon looked a bit too long at the back.  Didn't like the belt and the yellow straps over her hips looked like she was showing off her thong!  Of course her footwear spoiled it entirely, would have looked much classier if she'd worn shoes.

Yes, a mixed bag indeed but tonights costumes showed how a lady can be covered up in fabric from bosom to knee (Flavia) and look just as good as a lady who wears little more than a sequinned bikini (Aliona). 

Edited by Thess - 20 Nov 2011 at 23:33
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
littlesue View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote littlesue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 15:10
Interesting fact you say about the shoes, I've noticed they all seem to wear those bronzey/orange shoes, I suppose they use that much fake tan that they would be 'flesh' colour to the danceBig%20smile
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 17:12
Three dresses I liked best on Saturday, were Alex's Anita's and Chelsee's
Loved the skirt on Anita's

Aliona's was a bikini, albeit a lovely one, Harry looked good too,!!Wink
 -wasn't too  keen on Kristina's or  the clip on pony tail on her head.

Wasn't keen either on Holly's thought it made her a bit frumpy looking. I was just disappointed tho she wasn't with Brendan, so maybe  inflluenced my thoughts??

Didnt' i read somewhere here Russell just looked like a big pudsey??

-not keen on the yellow on Flavia

I suppose extra bright colours, and bigger designs were called for on the night, because of the size of the venue etc..etc...

Oh forgot to mention , Ola looked much better than Alex did  in the catsuit.

Edited by deborah31 - 21 Nov 2011 at 17:16
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
terrip View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote terrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 22:08
The most notable thing about the dresses on Saturday was . . . . Tess wore 2 that I didn't absolutely hate.  She must have changed her stylist!
Terri P
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 22:01
Update on Flavia's yellow number.  It was designed to be a straight kick flare skirt, but was further caught and sewn at the front, to make it ruffle and raise the front hemline.  Maybe the length didn't suit Flavia?

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
littlesue View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote littlesue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 07:20
The length could have been a bit shorter maybe, not longer though, anything mid calf on a shorter person is always a 'no no'.
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 16:17
And, LittleSue, raising the front would give it more movement. 

Anyway a while ago a blue and silver latin dress appeared on the DSI site with the description of being worn by Chelsee, but she never has worn it.  Well Holly will be wearing it on SAturday!  It's similar to her gold number, with lots of penny sequins over the hips, but without the asymmetric neckline.  Anita's frock looks pretty. Lots of body stocking and sparkles.
littlesue View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote littlesue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 19:42
It will have to be taken in in the 'titty' department if it was meant for ChelseeBig%20smile
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 22:06
Well, I don't know what happened to it!  Holly was pictured at the dress rehearsals in it, but didn't wear it on the Saturday. Unless she wore it for the results show ... maybe? I didn't watch it last weekend.

Puzzled!
 Post Reply Post Reply