I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > News and Views
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jimmy Savile dies at home in Leeds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Online Status: Offline
  Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jimmy Savile dies at home in Leeds
    Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 20:22

Tributes pour in for Jimmy Savile

Broadcasting%20legend%20Sir%20Jimmy%20Savile%20-%20pictured%20here%20presenting%20Top%20of%20the%20Pops%20in%201976%20-%20has%20died%20%28BBC/PA%29

BBC/PA

Broadcasting legend Sir Jimmy Savile - pictured here presenting Top of the Pops in 1976 - has died (BBC/PA)

The "larger than life" veteran DJ and broadcaster Sir Jimmy Savile has died aged 84.

The star, who presented the first episode of Top Of The Pops as well as his long-running show Jim'll Fix It, was found at his home in Roundhay, Leeds, just after midday, two days before his 85th birthday.

Two of Sir Jimmy's nephews said their uncle died peacefully in his sleep.

Roger Foster and Ian McKenna paid tribute to Sir Jimmy outside his flat.

Mr Foster said: "It is with deep sadness that I can tell you that our uncle Sir Jimmy Savile passed away quietly in his sleep during the night. Jimmy was a wonderful man, his public face is well-known but we knew him as much more than an uncle, he was a very good friend.

"Jimmy will be sadly missed by very many people. We would like to thank the people who have already offered their condolences."

The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall led the tributes to the star - who was described by some as a "court jester".

A Clarence House spokeswoman, said: "The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall were saddened to hear of Jimmy Savile's death and their thoughts are with his family at this time."

Known for his trademark catchphrases, tracksuits and tinted glasses, friends and colleagues described Sir Jimmy as a "larger than life" character who was dedicated to charity work.

Sir Jimmy started his working life as a miner in his native Yorkshire before running a series of clubs and working as a wrestler and DJ. He has raised millions for charity and for many years was a regular marathon

ttp://news.uk.msn.com/uk/broadcaster-jimmy-savile-84-dies

Edited by deborah31 - 29 Oct 2011 at 20:23
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Jonnyboy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Gonk

Quote Jonnyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 14:03
There have always been rumors that he was actually not to nice a chap so will be interesting to see if anything coes out now he isnt arond to be letigious.

He also never fixed it for me to have an adventure with the Famous Five!
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 14:37
I have heard the same too Jon and was linked to a report which I must admit shocked me
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 19:31
however he was in his private life, i heard he raised over 40 million pounds in his marathon runs, which is amazing!!!Clap
The people on the radio today (phone ins, alot from the 'Jim 'll fix it days'  only had good things to say about him, we can all have our off days i imagine, and living a single private life alone, i can imagine it can make you a bit of a loner or a bit selfish. 

So whatever he was like in private (and from what i hear he was quite a private person) he did an awful lot for charity in the UK, and i believe deserved his knighthood, more than most who get one in showbiz land.
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
TashaK View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote TashaK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 08:09
No matter what he did for charity I don't believe that he should have got a knighthood unless those allegations were disproved.
Before you criticise someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticise them you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 14:12
Originally posted by Jonnyboy

There have always been rumors that he was actually not to nice a chap so will be interesting to see if anything coes out now he isnt arond to be letigious. He also never fixed it for me to have an adventure with the Famous Five!

I've heard quite a few rumours about him. The absolute worst one was refuted numerous times and I'm glad it's not true. He was known to have had some serious connections as well. A tell-all book from him would have been amazing.
 Post Reply Post Reply