I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > News and Views
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Qantas grounded

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Qantas grounded
    Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 14:39
Qantas has grounded its entire domestic and international fleet of aircraft and will lock out all staff involved in its industrial dispute from Monday night.

The airline is fighting with its pilots, ground staff and engineers over pay, conditions and the outsourcing of jobs overseas.

Mr Joyce (Qantas CEO)said he was sorry the course of action had become necessary but the ball was now in the unions' court.

"They must decide just how badly they want to hurt Qantas, their members ... and the travelling public," he said.

The airline said at 5pm (AEDT) on Saturday there were 64 aircraft in the air, 36 domestic and 28 international carrying more than 7,000 passengers.

In total 108 aircraft will be grounded in 22 airports around the world.

The airline will offer hotel accommodation and alternative flights to those who are mid-journey and cannot get home when the grounding takes effect.

And there will be refunds and ticket transfers available to passengers whose flights are cancelled.

Qantas will keep passengers updated on the situation via its website, Facebook page and Twitter.

The airline says 13,305 passengers are booked to travel on Qantas planes from overseas ports to Australia in the next 24 hours.

About 1,310 international passengers may be at international airports now waiting for their flight to depart.

Commonwealth leaders at the CHOGM conference in Perth, Western Australia were to fly home on Qantas, but alternate arrangements will have to be made.

Full story

When I have travelled interstate or overseas, I have always travelled Qantas - its loyalty to an Australian brand. It saddens me that its come to this. I hope the situation is resolved soon. When I go to the UK next year, I won't be travelling Qantas as unions have said they will continue their industrial action into 2012.
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 15:28
Qantas is back in the air - just in time for the Melbourne Cup - the race that stops a nation. A few celebrities were booked onto Qantas for the Melbourne Cup - Sarah Jessica Parker and the Kardashians who were also going to promote bags or something like that.

Unfortunately, there is a backlog, so there will be a few delays, and a lot of passengers who have lost money on missed holiday tours. The whole business has really given Qantas a lot of bad publicity and a lot of tourists rethinking about who they will fly with in the future.

The fix is only temporary as arbitration has ruled that Qantas and the unions have 3 weeks to sort it out, so who knows what the outcome will be.
 Post Reply Post Reply