I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017 > Strictly Frocks
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Broadway Belles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broadway Belles
    Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 10:14
Morning folks! Just getting thread ready but the frock spot won't appear until tomorrow evening due to another night spent away from internet access.  It's like my right arm is being cut off and am beginning to understand how the teenager felt after three days of no BBM!Cry

Just getting ready to leave in a bit, so will be catching up with you all on Sunday evening.  TTFN Wave

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2011 at 22:36
Hello peeps, and sorry we're late tonight. Bit of a 'faffy' weekend but here now!  Let's crack on with this weeks' broadway belles ...

Holly: Well this wasn't a ballroom dress it was more suited to an Argentine Tango.  The bodice showed off Holly's figure beautifully but without her being over-exposed.  I thought the skirt could have had more weight to it, it was very sheer and I don't think it danced very well at all. 

Katya: a dress that looked like it had bit of this and bits of that tacked on.  There seemed to be no real sense of there having been a considered placement of anything, just random bits of material put together with haphazard lacing. It looked like she was wearing a velcro bodice and wardrobe had thrown stuff at her to see what stuck. It just looked lopsided and out of kilter. I wasn't sure about her dress last week and this week was no better.

Anita: well a much better dress than last week.  This was fun and frothy and suited the theme of the dance.  Thie skirt moved well and the colour suited her.  If I have a criticism I think the neckline accentuated the slight stoop that Anita has. I don't know whether she holds her head too far forward, or her shoulders too high, but the back collar plus the wig didn't do her any favours. 

What is it with the designers wanting to put stupid things on peoples heads this year?!!

Alex: such a beautiful gown. The skirt was just lovely, with the paler chiffon showing through the top layer, it moved well on the floor. I liked how the stoning around the back picked up the colour of the skirt, it tied the bodice and the skirt together and the bodice was cut at just the right length.  I dislike wrist floats, but with the shoulders being quite narrow and the nude colour, it did need something on the arms. 

Erin: cut a little low in the back for my taste, but she looked lovely. I have never seen sleeve design like this before and I thought this was a great way to cover upper arms without any bulk. I loved the way they balanced out the gown from the back view. The skirt was very Ginger Rogers and I love those huge wired hems. Erin just looked like she was floating in this very classy gown.

Lulu: well, it's the best dress she has been given so far!  I liked the black panel down the side, it stopped the dress looking like a torn bedsheet.  It also gave her a slim profile, from that side.  This dress is quite close to what some pro dancers are wearing currently, although this had a lot more 'tattered' bits around the skirt. She has great legs and the swirls of material showed them off without being tarty or flashing too much. I would call this an 'age appropriate' dress.

Nancy: she certainly suits red.  I didn't like the neckline, it looked like it was falling down which might have been intentional (the wanton Italian?), but it just got on my nerves.  There was more ruddy lacing (they must have a job lot) and the skirt was more Flamenco than Tango.  It didn't dance well but then again, there wasn't much dancing to judge it by.
i did like the stoning, it curved gently to accntuate Nancy's curves and this was the nicest part of the dress.

Natalie: wonderful colour, it really suited her colouring and the sunray pleats in the skirt allowed it to flare out with just the smallest of movement. Glorious. However, I would have put another layer under the skirt. Natalie has a gorgeous figure but, in my opinion, the sheer skirts should be left to the latin dresses as should two piece costumes.  I may be old fashioned, but I like a ballroom dress to be more substantial and really dislike too much flesh being on show.

Ola: ditto. This would be a fab latin showdance costume but I don't think it is a suitable ballroom dress.  I did like the styling of the skirt though, the dropped waist showing Ola's figure and the detailing on the hip was a nice touch.

Flavia: now back to the 'proper' gowns! Lovely cut, godets in the skirt allowing it to look slinkyfluidity and movement without lots of weight. I wasn't over keen on the material in the godets (shiny stuff) but i loved the detailing over the bodice, the lace flowers picked out in orange were so fresh looking. The beaded strands across the back were a nice touch, adding sparkle to an otherwise plain expanse of back.  I usually don't like that shade of yellow for a dress, but on Flavia it looked fine, so it must be down to her skin tone.

Kristina: oh dear. After the sumptuous gorgeousness of last weeks frock, she got a dress that looked like one of those toilet roll dolls!  The bodice was too latin, I hated the feathers in her hair and the skirt was that particular viscious shade of pink that hurts your eyes.  The skirt was very similar to Nancy's, but Kristina made it dance better than Nancy.  Even so, I did not like this dress at all.

Chelsee: another fringes costume, but I do love these for the movement they add. Delicious tutti frutti colours looked good on Chelsee but I think the belt spoiled it.  Anyway, loads of movement and sparkling dancing spangles, so very latin and all good.

Aliona: lovely little flirty skirt, cleverly cut to swing, flounce and bounce. Plenty of weight it in to dance well and I personally like to have a good bit of skirt to grab and swish around. The top was nicely cut and if you have a body like Aliona's (and Ola, Kristina, Flavia et al) then show as much as you like! But I didn't like the black H on the front, or the black back panel.

My favourite frock of the evening was Erins. Very classy, danced beautifully, and unusual and flattering sleeves.
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2011 at 22:55
What was the 'H' for on Aliona's outfit,   Harry??
 not sure, didn't like it anyway.

I also didn't like Holly's black stick on bra cups, and lace number really, I didn't think it was flattering on her, and I think she has a great figure.  To me looked liked something from an Ann Summers party, a bit tacky and cheap, she deserved better, but then also think she deserved Brendan, and not ArtemWhistle

Agree too much flesh with Natalie, she has a good figure yes, but just looked like another bra top, and skirt???? Would of liked a one piece better.

I would like to see Anita in a decent dress gown one week (has she worn one yet) instead of being dressed like a 5 year old each week (last week it was like a Bertie Bassett/Carmen Miranda from memory!!)

Liked Alex/Lulu/Erins/Flavs  the best tonight, PROPER FROCKS!!
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2011 at 23:11
thanks Thess as always a great read liked Erins dress the skirt of which is very like the dress from cheek to cheek Ginger wore .  The sleeves were unusual but if you look at old Ginger pics she always seemed to have some sort of sleeve on her gown
Aida View Drop Down
Penis FlyTrap
Penis FlyTrap

Quote Aida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2011 at 23:17
The hubba thinks the 'H' probably stood for 'harlot' - of course, the Orange Peril couldn't do anything to please him ever because he believes she got his beloved Lilia's post!   I can't imagine who it was who told him that!

My favourite frocks - well - gowns, really - were Flavia and Erin's! I'm old, I love proper dresses!

Great write-up, Thess - really enjoyed it!

Cats were once worshipped as gods in Ancient Egypt. They've never forgotten this.

Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 02:23
Originally posted by Bren

thanks Thess as always a great read liked Erins dress the skirt of which is very like the dress from cheek to cheek Ginger wore .  The sleeves were unusual but if you look at old Ginger pics she always seemed to have some sort of sleeve on her gown

Yes, that's exactly what I thought when I saw Erins dress. Astaire didn't like that dress apparently because the feathers moulted and flew into his face!  When you look at the gowns of the films of that era, they were so elegant and beautiful. I loved wearing them and am so glad they made a comeback. I doubt that we will ever go back to the powderpuff dresses.

Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 02:24
Originally posted by Aida

The hubba thinks the 'H' probably stood for 'harlot' - of course, the Orange Peril couldn't do anything to please him ever because he believes she got his beloved Lilia's post!   I can't imagine who it was who told him that!

My favourite frocks - well - gowns, really - were Flavia and Erin's! I'm old, I love proper dresses!

Great write-up, Thess - really enjoyed it!

You're very kind Aida. And I agree with your husband, I wish Lilia were still there too!
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 02:27
Originally posted by deborah31

What was the 'H' for on Aliona's outfit,   Harry??
 not sure, didn't like it anyway.

I also didn't like Holly's black stick on bra cups, and lace number really, I didn't think it was flattering on her, and I think she has a great figure.  To me looked liked something from an Ann Summers party, a bit tacky and cheap, she deserved better, but then also think she deserved Brendan, and not ArtemWhistle

Agree too much flesh with Natalie, she has a good figure yes, but just looked like another bra top, and skirt???? Would of liked a one piece better.

I would like to see Anita in a decent dress gown one week (has she worn one yet) instead of being dressed like a 5 year old each week (last week it was like a Bertie Bassett/Carmen Miranda from memory!!)

Liked Alex/Lulu/Erins/Flavs  the best tonight, PROPER FROCKS!!

Holly's costume was very much in the style of Chicago though. I didn't mind the bra, I thought it was OK because it didn't actually look like underwear to me.

Anita's Waltz dress is by far the best one she has had, it is lovely if you look on DSI you can see the detailing on the bodice.  Although tonights dress suited the theme of their routine, she has yet to have a dress that mathes up to the Waltz gown.
Tango View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote Tango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 11:23
I thought Holly's costume was just right for the Chicago number - the top particularly was very close to the sort they wear on the West End stage.

I am convinced that Natalies "dress" was in fact trousers - and i had a rewatch to see.... Not the most flattering colour for her i thought.

Like most on here i agree that Erins was the best of the night - classy and elegant.
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 12:05
Originally posted by Aida

The hubba thinks the 'H' probably stood for 'harlot' -
LOL so funny, 

[Quote=Thess] Anita's Waltz dress is by far the best one she has had, it is lovely if you look on DSI you can see the detailing on the bodice.  Although tonights dress suited the theme of their routine, she has yet to have a dress that mathes up to the Waltz gown  [Qoute]

forgot she wore this,,,,,, can only remember the comedy numbers now, bad memory these days.

Edited by deborah31 - 17 Oct 2011 at 12:06
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 12:22
Originally posted by Tango

I thought Holly's costume was just right for the Chicago number - the top particularly was very close to the sort they wear on the West End stage.

I am convinced that Natalies "dress" was in fact trousers - and i had a rewatch to see.... Not the most flattering colour for her i thought.

Like most on here i agree that Erins was the best of the night - classy and elegant.
Now it's funny you should say that because I thought the same, about halfway through, that it might be wide leg trousers. I watched quite carefully when she spun round and I am pretty sure that it was a full skirt, although I could be wrong.  Will have to see if it comes up on DSI.

Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 12:30
This is interesting ... on DSI they have this dress captioned 'as worn by Chelsee Healey'. But she hasn't worn it ... yet! Poss her next latin costume?

Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 16:16
And the plot thickens ... as Chelsee's tutti frutti fringed playsuit is in amongst the usual designer dresses they have on the site.  I wonder if Chelsee was supposed to have worn the blue one on Saturday, but had a mishap, leading to a last minute swap?

salsa-addict View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote salsa-addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 13:50
On ITT mid week, when they did a feature on costumes, they mentioned that they had cut a new outfit for someone that very day - so maybe that would explain it.
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 18:52
Oh right, I haven't been watching ITT. I think you're right then, they've customised one from stock for Chelsee.  Maybe something in dress rehearsal went twang!
 Post Reply Post Reply