I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017 > Strictly Frocks
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Foxy Salsa's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foxy Salsa's
    Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 12:08
Welcome folks, to the rather special, dedicated corner of the Blueroom, devoted to the real 'stars' of Strictly ... the frocks!Here we go with this weeks foxy salsa's ...

Chelsee: not really what I think of as a suitable Salsa costume, but it looked nice on her and moved well. I quite like these fringed pants and Chelsee did these justice, compared to Laila when she had a black pair. 

Eggwina: much better than last week. Eggwina can take a rich colour like this, and I loved the gentle cascade of ruffles across the bust and over the arms.  A lovely way to hide upper arms without adding a lot of weight.  A nice sparkly neckline was all this gown really needed. It danced nicely and I'm glad they didn't do another necklace.  Could have done without the daft fascinator though!

Natalie: what a great dress. The skirt expertly cut to skim the hips yet flare out and have enough weight in it to really swing when dancing. I didn't like the strap around the middle but understand it might have been necessary to keep the swathes of material in place.  The only other thing I didn't like was the sparkly slug that had attached itself to Natalie's neck.  A well proportioned dress for a tall girl.  Lovely.

Alex: I thought this was good and bad. Gorgeous colour and an unusual neckline at the front which was nice.  I didn't so much mind the floaty bits down the back but I really disliked the ruffle going down the back seam of the skirt.  Also the red ruffle at the bottom.  If you're going to do this then properly do it. The ruffles were too small to look anything other than an afterthought, tacked on to hide something or lengthen the dress.

Katya: A dress of two halves.  Skirt was great, a shorter version of Natalies, it swung around beautifully and accentuated Katya's hip action.  The bodice was gorgeous, draped so that you got a hint of sexiness.  But I'm not sure that they went together. Just something about the batwing arms and the cheerleader length skirt didn't seem to sit right.

Lulu: another poplin which didn't really work for me.  There wasn't a lot of substance in the skirt overall actually, which meant that it clumped up, got stuck in between her legs and Brendans legs. Evening dresses look lovely with featherlight material, ballroom dresses need more weight!  The feathers at the top accentuated her bad posture and the belt (plus poplin) cut her in half and made her look dumpy.  Gawd, get the woman a decent frock for next week someone!

Holly: wow, the colour really popped on the floor and was much better for her than the bacofoil from last week. The decoration was restrained but nicely placed. The sparkles on her hip making the most of the movement along with the fluttering, flouncing skirt. The cut of the bodice made sure that it was a 'safe' dress with no danger of fallout, but I think Holly could have had a bit more support up there. 

Erin: love love love Erins dress. The colours were simply fab and the wired frills are just sooo latin. They bounce well and really add something to the feel of the dance.  I like belts on the hips and these accentuated Erins hips greatly.  The bust was a bit of a let down after the veritable fiesta of a skirt, but never mind! 

Ola: too skimpy for a ballroom dress, for my taste anyway, the bodice and skirt were mismatched and there was nothing to pull them together and I disliked the long ribbons of material down the back.

Anita: poor Anita got the comedy frock of the evening.  It looked like she had fallen headfist into the scraps box in Wardrobe and came out looking like this.  And what's with the headgear this series!

Kristina:  Oh my goodness - how fab was this dress! My fave of the evening.  The plunging backline lessened by the sheer red stockinette, and the right abount of stoning which accentuated the line of the body. The skirt danced well despite the split. I don't like splits in ballroom dresses but I see that it was appropriate for the look/theme.  Gorgeous.

Nancy: weird colourway, didn't like the laced cutaway pieces and it seemed cut very loose up top, more like a cocktail dress than a dance dress.  If it didn't have the cutaway's and the frills were a more complementary colour to the rest of the dress, it would have looked far better.  It was just plain ... weird.

Aliona: beautiful colour and very elegant. The dress had fabulous intricate stoning across the bust and the feathered skirt put me in mind of Ginger Rogers.  The material was quite thin though, could have done with lining really.  Danced very nicely indeed though.

Flavia: I couldn't understand why there was this big blob of pink feather in amongst the better toning blue and mauve skirt, until the end!  Nice dress, good shape to the skirt and the strip connecting the skirt to the bust is very 1980's! Wonder if that style is making a comeback!  We'll be seeing strip skirts next!!  Anyway, Flavia looks so good in pretty much anything!

Honourable mention goes to Russell who, I'm failry sure, was wearing Julian Clary's Samba sleeves from way back!

Edited by Thess - 09 Oct 2011 at 20:35
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
littlesue View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote littlesue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 14:00
I thought Khristina's dress was lovely, sexy but not too much flesh showing, Natalie and Aliona looked good too,  I thought Ola and Erin had way too much flesh on show as usual, we all know you are skinny bits but no need to rub it in, especially when while the show was on I consumed a 7 inch pizza, two custard donouts and a family sized Dairy Milk!!Tongue
Angie looked a freak, older plump arms look way better than skinny old arms!.  I'm glad the hairdresser has dragged out the carmen heated rollers as I think old fashioned curls like Kristina and Alex Jones had last night looks much better than that 'curl round the wand' fizzy style they had last week.
Aida View Drop Down
Penis FlyTrap
Penis FlyTrap

Quote Aida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 15:51
Oh, you do write a lovely, informative, dance-fashion narrative, Thess - a real pleasure to read!

Cats were once worshipped as gods in Ancient Egypt. They've never forgotten this.

Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 20:36
You are very kind Aida, thank you.  Actually I have just edited the post to get rid of all the daft spelling errors. That's what you get for typing with arthritic fingers!
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
 Post Reply Post Reply