I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Big Brother - Other News
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BB viewers switch off in their thousands

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
He can heal the sick

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BB viewers switch off in their thousands
    Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 17:31

Is anyone still watching Big Brother? Disappointment for Channel 5 as viewers switch off in their thousands

It was always going to be difficult to repackage former Channel 4 reality show Big Brother for a Channel 5 audience.

But it seems the channel, and media mogul Richard Desmond, have been left disappointed with viewing figures for the show, after ratings dropped below a million viewers for the first time since its launch on Channel 4 in 2000.

Following the celebrity version this summer, which saw Paddy Doherty triumph as the winner, Channel 5 drew in a relatively impressive three million on the show's opening night.

Disappointment:%20Viewers%20are%20turning%20Channel%205s%20Big%20Brother,%20hosted%20by%20Brian%20Dowling,%20off%20in%20their%20thousands

Disappointment: Viewers are turning Channel 5's Big Brother, hosted by Brian Dowling, off in their thousands

Figures eventually settled at around 1.4m, before an abysmal 900,000 viewers watched last weekend.

Failing:%20A%20peak%20of%201.79million%20tuned%20in%20to%20see%20Rebeckah%20Vaughn%20evicted%20on%20Friday

Failing: A peak of 1.79million tuned in to see Rebeckah Vaughn evicted on Friday

Before that, the smallest audience ever recorded throughout the 11 series was 1.5m in 2009.

In addition, last Friday night's eviction show, the second of the series, lost more than 300,000 viewers.

It attracted just 1.4million during the hour-long show on Channel 5, with a peak of 1.79million as Rebeckah Vaughan was evicted.

The figures are in comparison to last week's average of 1.82million, with a peak of 2.1million according to Barb figures.

Big Brother was beaten by The Million Pound Drop Live, hosted by Davina McCall on Channel 4.

A spokeswoman for Channel 5 declined to comment.

It is believed Channel 5 signed a five-year deal with Endemol for the rights to Big Brother earlier this year.

The show had been axed by Channel 4 in 2010 after a huge drop in ratings.

Channel 4's director of television Kevin Lygo said at the time: 'Big Brother is still profitable for Channel 4 despite its reduced popularity and there could have been the option to renew it on more favourable terms.

'That's what a purely commercial broadcaster would have done, but Channel 4 has a public remit to champion new forms of creativity.

'That remit to push the boundaries has been an essential part of the weird chemistry behind Big Brother's success, but it's now what is telling us that the programme has reached a natural end point on Channel 4 and it's time to move on.'

Source

Edited by Alex - 26 Sep 2011 at 17:32
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 18:14
not as bad as the Daily Fail making out but it really does need big re-think if they are to do it again next year
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 00:57
Totally disagree I have watched every single big brother and I can honestly say channel 5 version is brilliant, it's meatier and got better younger bunch of housemates - love it! u seem even more daring than channel 4 - keep it up we love ur. Little twists and turns !
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 12:12
I think the idea of BB, has had it's day now, why not just film a bunch of in-mates of prison 24/7?? maybe more entertaining (and cheaper for channel 5 too).
I haven't seen any of this, but believe it's a very young crowd in there, from what Pamela Stephenson was saying on an interview on TV, she was old enough to be everybodies mother, which i don't think she was impressed by. (how do they all get time off work , i want to know, or maybe they're all jobless??)
Think it's only a young crowd who watch this, (average age 25?) and if this is what they want to watch it's up to them.
I'd personally rather watch grass grow, or paint dry, but that's just my opinion.

I don't particularly like Davina, but think she got out at a good time. (or maybe she wasn't even invited back by channel 5?)

Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
ClareBear203 View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote ClareBear203 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 12:48
Hiya, after weeks of decorating ive finally managed to catch up with Big Bro! Gutted ive missed the 2 live chats threads for the evictions but im back now. Ive enjoyed big brother so far and i think C5 have done good to put their own spin on the show.
I think they could have got some spicier housemates however as all the ones in at the min are all very trendy pretty/handsome people and dont actually reflect "Normal" people! But none the less still enjoying the show. My faves so far are Aaron, Jay, Tom oh and i like the posh lad "Harry?" not sure of his name
ClareBear203 you can also follow me on Twitter @ClareBear203 or on Facebook Clare Kitchen-Barnfather :0)
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 12:50
yep I am quit4 enjoying BB too claire like jay and Aaron bt loathe Tom so deluded and dont mind Harry
ClareBear203 View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote ClareBear203 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 12:56
ha ha! like i said ive just cought up! still got last nights to watch. So far im glad Tashie has gone and Becky, defo need Heaven, Anton and that bloody sad sack Aden to go! just watched him cry like a baby when that becky got the boot!! I think Harry might win Aaron makes me laugh, i love his humour
ClareBear203 you can also follow me on Twitter @ClareBear203 or on Facebook Clare Kitchen-Barnfather :0)
moonshine View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote moonshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 18:31
would like to see this show get a kick up the pants....what they need to do to the housemates is to scare the living daylights out of the. What i mean by that is at the moment things are ticking along nicely so bb should throw a curved ball ...maybe no more drink...call them into the diary room one by one blame each one for something they have not done shake it up a bit......and my biggest bug bare
DON'T LET THEM SLEEP UNTILL BED TIME...IF THEY LAY ON THE SOFAS OR BED DURING THE DAY WAKE THEM UP.
WE have lost our live feed so please c5 don't let the hour we do see about them falling asleep
moonshine
 Post Reply Post Reply