I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017 > Strictly Frocks
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strictly Frocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strictly Frocks
    Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 22:28
Evening all, and here we are again ready to give up our Saturdays in the name of spangles and sequins.  We've got our dancers, we've got our celebrities so lets get on with the uber important aspect of the show ...... THE FROCKS! LOL

Lulu: I notice that some of the celebs kept their promo pic outfit but I am pleased that Lulu didn't. This was much better on her, the shimmering fringe giving a nice bit of movement while looking sleek, and the sheer sleeves had just the right amount of coverage. The square neckline was different and flattering but I felt it lacked support in the bust.

Eggwina: sometimes the SCD wardrobe elves have got it wrong when dressing ladies of a certain age.  This time, they didn't do so bad.  The colour was good on her and I liked the draping over the one shoulder, but she needed more support up top.  The detailing on the waist was an attempt to dazzle the eye into thinking that she nipped in more than she actually does, but there wasn't enough length in the dress to balance it out.  If it had been all one length instead of asymetrical it would have worked better. 

Chelsee: someone had to have the comedy outfit and it was poor old Chelsee.  The colour was lovely but it was just mad to put her in what was really a pair of big knickers covered in chicken wire.

Anita: this worked for her in terms of cut. It draped nicely and showed leg without being inappropriate for a lady of her age.  I would have liked the frill to have been a little less deep though and the colour made her look washed out on the floor.

Holly: I really liked this dress. Simple and uncluttered lines, the fringing with penny sequins accentuated her hips very well and the slight angling of the sequins helping to prevent that severe 'chopped off' look.  It really caught the studio lights and sparkled.

Nancy: gorgeous dress but I wish she'd kept the red promo dress instead. I liked the graduated colour but it should have been cut higher on the hip and ankle length on the other side.

Alex: oh dear, I think Alex must have got to dress fittings late and had to make do with the cuttings from the floor.  The gold fringing and belt didn't go with the colour of the chiffon.  It did actually look like some chiffon scarf on the top and I really detest 'belts' on a dress (or the approximation of) because they cut the body in two. If you have a long body you can rock it, but Alex doesn't. 

The men: the shirts were all great and with the sequins fairly subtle (apart from Russell's!) it was a nice way to introduce them to the sparkly world!  Russell looked the most at home  in costume!

Pro ladies: on the whole I didn't like their dresses much. I thought they wore them with varying degrees of success but the lacings looked plain tarty.  Kristina seems to have played down her look this year and I'm glad that Aliona's hair isn't as radioactive as it once was. 

Pro men: sheer shirts .... mmmmmmmm!  well not Tony in a sheer shirt but, well, you know .... Wink

So there you go. Several thousand yards of fringing and a couple of hundredweight of sequins, miles of chiffon and a feather or two. Fab-u-lous!  Big%20smile

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 22:32
ahh thanks for doing this Thess always enjoy yur frock spot so much !!!

Totally agree re the costumes tonight

Kristina looks so much better hardly any tan and far less make-up
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 22:49
Yes, she looked much prettier than she has in previous years.  I hope this look sticks.
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 22:58
sorry didn't pay much attention to the Frocks tonight, just remember Tess dressed as 'big bird'!!LOL, wish she'd give the Toga/Sheet dress/pant suit  a rest,
even Alesha on the judging panel, of whom we can only see the top half -wears much better numbers!!
Will have to watch it back again, can't remember anyone else sticking out very badly.

ps yes i do seem to remember Anita's arms now , thinking they should of put her in sleeves!
why is it they always insist on putting the more mature ladies in sleeveless??

Edited by deborah31 - 10 Sep 2011 at 23:01
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
littlesue View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Online Status: Online
  Quote littlesue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 22:59
I thought Lulu had the best dress of the older ladies, Anita's was nice but would be better with a sleeve in, lets hope she does'nt loose to much weight as the series goes on as she is thin enough as it is!!  A lot of the celebs had bad support in the bust area I thought except the young girl whose knockers were almost under her neck!
StrictlyBlog View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote StrictlyBlog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 02:24
Chelsee's costumes have been a bit bizarre so far. Perhaps she has annoyed the wardrobe department already?!

Tups View Drop Down
Swallows
Swallows
The Queen Of Tarts

Quote Tups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 22:37
hated Eggwina's.. but don't really care cos I don't like her anyway.. I think she's going to get the granny frocks this year
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 00:09
So then, here's tonights frocks on the box:

Holly: loving the skirt, but hating the rest of the bacofoil bodice.  Had it have been penny sequins all over (like Flavia's), or if it had been a different colour, it would have looked better. But as it was, there was just too much silver going on.  And the horrid hated belt thing too.

Katya: gorgeous shade of pale lemon, which looked really crisp with the sparkling stones. Personally, I like a bit more back to ballroom dresses and i thought that the corsage was wasted on the front of the dress. Beautiful when she stood sill, but when dancing with Dan, you couldn't see it.  The skirt length was perfect though. Long, floaty and flowing, but we could see Katya's feet. 

Lulu: I lovelove love  the colour but it looked to me as if it was an unfinished dress. The poplin around the waist looked like it had been tacked on as an afterthought and it would have looked much better without. And there was just one solitary glittery adornment - round the neckline.  As a Friday night cocktail dress it was very nice, but I don't think it did her any favours. 

Natalie: beautiful colour, I loved the sparkly fringing over the bust, it danced beautifully, but I hated the belt.  I intensely dislike belts on a ballroom dress, i think they spoil the line.  This would have been classier without. Anyway, another great length. Do you suppose the wardroe elves have actually been listening to us, after all this time?!

Ola: wearing her customary two metres of fringing and a couple of pipe cleaners from Hobbycraft! I really liked the movement and the dip dyed colour was vibrant and eye catching.

Anita: this was cut higher on Anita's back and i think was the better for it.  Interesting 'holographic' material for the bodice which, when she caught the light, looked like multi coloured flames darting up her body.  I'm not totally convinced it went with the off white/cream chiffon though. IMo it would have been a better match on a purple or red dress.  But the cut was good, the length was good and it floated round the floor beautifully.

Flavia: gosh she suits scarlet doesn't she? i adore these type of dresses. The huge penny sequins just bounce about to accentuate the rhythmn and every undulation of the hips, yet it all stays close to the body, nice and sleek.  Definitely my favourite latin costume of the night.

Lastly, just a quick word about the male celebs tail suits tonight - awful.  Saggy baggy and ill-fitting.  Nuff said!

Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 00:32
ooo love all the dress gossip !!!  totally agree and loved Flavia's dress it was lovely and liked her hair too!

The tailsuits were terrible - surely SCD can afford a decent tailor ? if not get rid of brucie :))
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 10:08
Don't forget Tess's!!! Ha..ha..ha.. ha....ROFL

she's the hostest with the leastest, poor girl, i feel almost sorry for her in the frock dept.!!

Loved Flavia's too, Red just suits her dark/Italian colouring. (altho Poor Russell in White??? is that a slimming colour??)

Wasn't keen on Lulu's myself, yep agree unfinished look, but lavender /purple, great for old folk!! (i resist wearing it still)

Loved Aussie Sheila's too, verdict out on the belt, can't decide whether it added or took away from it.  Anita's looked good on her too, she needs a bit of fat on her, give her a bit of colour too in her cheeks!! (not jealous at all of her slim physique!!) always think more mature ladies look a bit better with slightly more weight, rather than slightly less, as skinny can be a bit aging imo.

Edited by deborah31 - 01 Oct 2011 at 10:12
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 10:55
Originally posted by Bren

ooo love all the dress gossip !!!  totally agree and loved Flavia's dress it was lovely and liked her hair too!

The tailsuits were terrible - surely SCD can afford a decent tailor ? if not get rid of brucie :))

I forgot about that flash of yellow and red in her hair. It was very effective, liked it very much.

Tailsuits were simply awful, I agree that they should be able to send the men to a decent tailor.  I so love a nicely cut tailsuit, but these (and Audleys especially) looked like they were cut for an elephant.
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 16:23
Originally posted by Thess

[QUOTE=Bren]ooo love all the dress gossip !!!  totally agree and loved Flavia's dress it was lovely and liked her hair too!
She also has a figure to die for too, that helps a lot I'm sure!
littlesue View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote littlesue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 16:50
Not keen on Flavia's figure myself, too thin and athletic for my liking, she gets away with it now but when she is 50+ not so good, I prefer more curves like Kristina's although her fake boobs get in the way a bit!!
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 17:51
I can't take to Kristina to brassey blonde and she lives up to the brassey bit :))
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 23:30
Frocks debut, part two!

Aliona: absolutely gorgeous, loved it. The skirt was well cut and had substance whilst still showing some leg.

Erin: nice cut, beautiful colour, and the high cut on the back accentuates the curve of Erins back, in a way that a backless dress doesn't.  The only thing I wasn't keen on is the wrist floats.  I think they get in the way.

Alex: lovely from the front. Nice fringing over the hips to accentuate the hip action. I liked all the straps at the front and over the shoulders. I didn't like the lace up bit at the back. It look a bit sloppy and I think it would have looked better if the two edges of the black lace had met at the back.

Chelsee: gorgeous frothy pinkness.  Actually a bit too girly for my taste, but it suited her. Another high cut on the back I liked the ruched effect in the bodice.  Her boobs were under control and the bodice was cut low down, to skim her hips and show off her figure.  The skirt just floated round the floor, plenty of movement.  And talking of floats, these are ones I can get along with as they accentuate rotating movements in a way that wrists floats don't.  Gorgeous.

Edwina: I know it can be hard to dress an older woman, but there were good and bad parts about this outfit.  Hated the necklace, hated the sleeves, likes the fringed skirt but thought that where it joined the bodice was slightly in the wrong place.  Perhaps a bit lower? And lastly, she needed more structure in the bust.  

Nancy: the bes thing about their routine was this dress. Lovely colour, the skirt just undulated round the floor (if she'd have actually danced it would have undulated a bit more!). Boa uneccessary and cut too low at the back for my taste, but it did look very classy on the floor.

Kristina: It looked like she had pinned on a few metres of lametta off the Christmas tree!  Plenty of bounce in the skirt, not fussed about the under the bust belt thing, but it suited her and at least they've stopped dressing her in animal print. 

Somee lovely frocks here tonight, and the biggest thing for me is the length of the ladies ballroom gowns this year. All beautiful but cut short enough to see the feet.   Great stuff.
littlesue View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote littlesue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 07:19
I was reading an article on the Strictly dress makers in a Sunday Mag yesterday, they were saying they meet up with the Celebs in JULY to discuss the dresses and take measurents.  Quite a few months then to practice on the dance side on the sly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>