I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Celebritain.com Entertainment Forum > Television and Film
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

From flopped pop star to Opera Star

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: From flopped pop star to Opera Star
    Posted: 27 May 2011 at 10:42
Boosted%20...%20Joe%20McElderry
Boosted ... Joe McElderry

From flopped pop star to Opera Star

Joe McElderry says winning X Factor will aid new fame bid

By CARA LEE

Published: Today

SINGER Joe McElderry says that winning The X Factor has given him the upper hand on Popstar to Operastar.

The pop flop, 19, reckons singing in front of Simon Cowell has prepared him well for the ITV1 show.

Joe won The X Factor in 2009 - but was dropped by Cowell's record label Syco just 18 months later.

He is now out to impress Operastar judges Katherine Jenkins and Rolando Villazon as one of eight celebs battling it out in the new series, which starts next Saturday.

Joe said: "I'm alright with performing in front of Rolando and Katherine now. I'm used to being in front of high profile people after the X Factor, so that makes it a bit easier.

"I've also been in the environment of having to learn a song quickly and performing it."

But one of his rivals, Andy Bell, singer of 80s pop duo Erasure, says he is nervous - because he is so used to performing with bandmate Vince Clarke.

Andy, 47, said: "It will be strange performing without Vince. We got hysterical before our shows - literally climbing the walls."

Former Steps star Claire Richards, 33, says she is excited about making her operatic debut - to show her four-year-old son Charlie she can sing.

She said: "When you ask Charlie what Mummy does for a job he says she changes nappies! I don't want him to think that's all I do. This show is perfect."

Live Aid organiser Midge Ure, 57, fears he will forget the words - which are in Italian.

The frontman of '80s rock band Ultravox said: "You have to know this stuff and that is absolutely petrifying to me."

Fiery Cheryl Baker says she will hit back if she disagrees with judges' comments on her performances.

Rivals%20...%20Andy%20Bell%20and%20Claire%20Richards
Rivals ... Andy Bell and Claire Richards
The singer of '70s pop act Bucks Fizz, 57, said: "If I think their criticism is correct I will agree - but if not, I'll probably ask them what they're talking about."

And former Pussycat Doll Melody Thornton, 26, reckons she will win - thanks to her performing skills.

Contestants%20...%20Midge%20Ure%20and%20Cheryl%20Baker
Contestants ... Midge Ure and Cheryl Baker
The American star said: "Singing has so much more to do with performing than it does singing. I think performance is a strong asset of my mine."

Toploader singer Joseph Washbourn and soul singer Jocelyn Brown, 60, complete the line-up.

Myleene Klass is hosting and two more judges are still to be announced.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/x_factor/3603870/Joe-McElderry-goes-from-flop-star-to-opera-star.html#ixzz1NXno0jNb
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 12:55
The STATE of Andy Bell! I've found another.

Jonnyboy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Gonk

Quote Jonnyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 14:37
Botox much? He looks terrible!

Im amazed this show has been signed on for another year to be honest, the premice is good but who actually watches it? Joe will do well as he is operatic already, but they shpould be very careful as full on opera training should not be given until you have a fully mature voice which he hasn't. He could end up damaging his voice.
Kevin View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2011 at 22:42

I'm cooking an egg for the very first time, ahhh hummm, ahhh hummm!

Edited by Kevin - 01 June 2011 at 22:48
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2011 at 16:36
I only watched this on Saturday night, is it worth following up? Opera is really not my thing at all.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
He can heal the sick

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2011 at 14:58
I keep getting press releases for this, can't believe they're getitng the audience figures for this second series after the first one bombed

Lil Joe will prob win based on popularity alone
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2011 at 15:47
I've still not watched any more of it. Poor Joe must know it's over for him now.
 Post Reply Post Reply