I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Big Brother - Other News
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jo Hemmings' Big Brother Blog- Foot in the door

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jo Hemmings View Drop Down
OFFICIAL
OFFICIAL

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jo Hemmings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jo Hemmings' Big Brother Blog- Foot in the door
    Posted: 05 May 2011 at 11:11
Jo Hemmings' Big Brother Blog - Foot in the door

Hello Blue Room, I'm Jo Hemmings, I've been the Behavioural Psychologist on Big Brother’s Little Brother since 2008 appearing on all series including Big Brother 11 and Ultimate Big Brother. I also helps behind the scenes, in the contestant selection process, by giving psychological advice and assessment to reality TV producers both during the selection procedure and the series.

Well, Big Brother's back with a new home on Channel 5 and here I am to write a weekly Big Brother blog for The Blue Room. I've been following you guys on your sometimes quite spikey, but always informative and up to date Big Brother Twitter BBReturns since last year and I am delighted to write this exclusive blog for you

Auditioning for Big Brother

First impressions always count and never more so in the Big Brother auditions.  Think about what makes you different – and don’t try to be a carbon copy of an ex-housemate or give the selection team what you think they might want.  They are impossible to second guess!

What makes you stand out from the crowd?  It’s individuality that will get you noticed in the first instance.  Be quirky, but keep an air of mystery too.  It’s not good having a totally crazy audition tape, if you can’t sustain that quirkiness over a long period of time.  Remember that this a game show – those who peak too early with silly showing off, being too bitchy or flirting too much too soon get their marching orders pretty quickly.  But then again, those who keep themselves to themselves or don’t do much of entertainment value might stay under the radar for a few weeks, but being boring is the ultimate housemate sin and it won’t keep you in for long.

If you get through to an actual face-to-face interview, remind yourself of that cheesy sign that you used to see in offices ‘ You Don’t Have To Be Mad To Work Here, But It Helps’.  There will be a number of psychometric tests to ensure that you’re entertaining, exciting and unpredictable but not likely to be too wild.  Arguments are good. Physical fights not so good. Weeping and wailing keep the viewers interested but they won’t be wanting too many ‘can’t cope anymore’ walkers. It’s a real headache for the team and leaves loyal viewers disappointed and let down.

The production team will be looking for kooky but not flaky, different but not off the scale and feisty but not aggressive. You’ve also got to stay pretty open minded about your fellow housemates – they are going to be a fame hungry, competitive and extrovert bunch and very likely to be over excited in the first few days, so hold back a little before you make any decisions on who to get close to – whether in flirt or friendly mode – until they’ve revealed a little more of their authentic selves.

What will keep you in the house is a balance of consistency and likeability.  Nobody likes someone who is all over the place personality wise, because it feels fake and pretentious and if you don’t get voted off by your fellow housemates pretty quickly, then the viewers will be happy to finish the job for you.

Likeability is a tough one.  It’s a blend of empathy, warmth, friendliness, humour and honesty. Viewers like to be able to relate to you.  Would I want that person as a friend?  If you’re pompous, overbearing, aggressive, precious or constantly weepy or withdrawn you’ll get evicted pretty quickly.

Don’t show your hand too quickly and immediately take sides. The early groups form like kids in a school playground, it’s tempting to be in with the in crowd.  But this often feels threatening to other housemates and once the original ‘in’ group gets fragmented and broken up, which inevitably happens, it’s tough to then pal up with the other side.

The Diary Room is your best ally.  Think of Big Brother as your best mate who might throw a curved ball now and again, but is there to listen while you let your frustrations out as well as connect with the viewers.

Jo x

Next week: Your biggest ally in the Big Brother house is the Diary Room, how to make the most of it

Copyright Jo Hemmings and The Blue Room website, please credit us if publishing article

Edited by Jo Hemmings - 05 May 2011 at 11:24
Timbo View Drop Down
Fluffer
Fluffer

Quote Timbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 13:55
Hello, Jo.   Wonderful reading this, looking forward to future entries.
From Timbo
Check me out on Facebook (tim.pardington) or follow timpinwimbledon on Twitter.
killersbee View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue

Quote killersbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 22:52
Welcome to the forums, Jo. Glad you have joined, can't wait for the new Series to start on Five
Catwoman: "For one if I was a bloke, I would not flirt with you two. I have standards."
Toots: "If I had a figure like Ola's, I'd wear that outfit to Sainsburys!"
Ollie View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 17:59
hi jo. i follow you on twitter and im always interested in what you have to say. you also reply which is a bonus.

thanks for you blog

ollie x
Follow me Twitter @Ollie_pops
 Post Reply Post Reply