I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Celebritain.com Entertainment Forum > Television and Film
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Event

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Event
    Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 03:06
Anyone else watching this? I'm totally hooked. The imdb info only gives this:

When a man goes looking for his missing girlfriend, he stumbles upon a government conspiracy that is bigger than the president himself.

but it's MUCH more than that. An alien spaceship crash lands in Alaska in the 1940s. The uninjured survivors escape while those who can't escape are captured by the US government and kept in a secure facility there, including their uninjured leader (her with the walking stick from ER). The escapees infiltrate society to the highest levels over the next 60-odd years (I should mention that the aliens look exactly like humans, fortuitously for the show, and also age very slowly compared to humans) but the government has no intention of ever releasing the detainees or allowing their existence to become public knowledge. That is, until the modern-day president (played by Blair Underwood) finds out about the aliens' existence and decides to reveal all. Cue an assassination attempt involving a plane, flown directly at the president on the ground, which then mysteriously disappears into thin air. The pilot's hot daughter and her equally hot boyfriend become embroiled in finding out why the pilot, Michael, even attempted to kill the president in the first place, and also where the hell he ended up. It goes on from there into this wild story about 'sentinels' on earth protecting us from the aliens (who appear to actually be good aliens at first but become a lot more sinister as the show goes on - a bit of a cliche but it's very well done and totally believable; more to do with how they're treated on Earth than heinous intentions), terrible experiments on young girls that leave them looking facially like old women (think Don't Look Now), suns going supernova and dying planets, drop dead gorgeous assassins and ridiculous escapes from certain death.

I could go on and on but I'll never stop. Suffice to say, it's amazing. It's not as flashy as V and has more plot twists -- you really have to keep an eye on it at all times, but it's every bit as good. The second series is nearly over and if a third isn't commissioned, I'm going to be heartbroken.

Are there any other loons here who want to squeal about it with me? Here's a trailer:

Edited by James - 29 Apr 2011 at 03:20
BBGossip_John View Drop Down
Fluffer
Fluffer

Quote BBGossip_John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 07:38
I LOVE LOVE watching The Event.
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2011 at 15:49
RAGING. This and V both got cancelled by their networks. I'm totally disgusted, the Americans are always doing this and don't give shows a chance anymore. I'm going to have to give Falling Skies a serious chance now to get my alien fix. A workmate keeps banging on about Game of Thrones as well but I just keep thinking that's all hobgoblins and amulets.
Jonnyboy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Gonk

Quote Jonnyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2011 at 16:43
Got it on DVD seen the whole series. really enjoyed it and then canceled. 
James View Drop Down
Blue God
Blue God
Performs All Own Stunts

Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2011 at 17:29
Originally posted by Jonnyboy

Got it on DVD seen the whole series. really enjoyed it and then canceled. 

Do you mean The Event? I read somewhere that fans were campaigning for another network to pick it up, which wouldn't be a bad idea. Ideally, if they're really not going to bring it back, they should do what they did with Jericho and film a few more episodes to tie up all the loose ends and finish the story properly. American TV bosses really piss me off.
 Post Reply Post Reply