I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Dancing On Ice - 2011
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kyran Bracken DOI Final Blog 2011

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kyran Bracken View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin
The Real Deal

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kyran Bracken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kyran Bracken DOI Final Blog 2011
    Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 22:59

As an afterthought I felt it would be a good idea to give my opinion on the final of DOI 2011 as it has been enjoyable to share my thoughts with the Blueroom this year and as the tour starts on Saturday in Sheffield I thought I would give you these thoughts in between the series ending and the tour starting!

The final was tense but predictable and thankfully the two best skaters went head to head. I had no idea which way the voting would go but you have to say Sam was 'on fire' in the final.

Many twitter folk wanted Laura to win but I think the quality of his skating was just too much for the girls. The group routines were cleverly choreographed but there were some unfair advantages in this twist as those involved in acting/dancing know what they are doing: what the hell would I choreograph as a rugby player against someone like Sam or Ray who are in the theatre/acting profession.

Likewise there was a clear advantage that Sam had over Laura and that was in their professional partners' experience with the Bolero. As I said before the final, Brianne's Bolero on the 2010 live tour with Chris was unbeatable and there were countless similarities to it with Sam.  Their Bolero was simple but effective, with lots of passion and clever intricate moments in time with the music.

In contrast, Laura and Colin stuttered through theirs admitting beforehand they hoped it would come together on the night. Colin openly said he has never choreographed before and struggled with it. He has been the find of the professionals this year and will be a great partner next year but he will also learn from this experience. Also he will be doing lots of Bolero's on the tour against Sam and Brianne and I imagine their Bolero will change dramatically the more they do it over the next 5 weeks.

I really felt for Chloe who was very humble in her defeat. She has come across very well and may well become the biggest winner of DOI landing a daytime presenting job.  I would love to see her Bolero with Michael so I hope when I watch the tour at the 02 I will be voting for her to be in the Bolero.  Something tells me it will be passionate with Michael - another great find.

So what turned me on and what turned me off with this year’s series?  I have been very critical of the judging and unless it changes for next year they will continue to be criticised by all and sundry, I have said before it is not the individuals it is the fact the balance needs to be right in terms of skating vs performance.

Jason is a must for the show.  Whilst I dislike his personalised comments he does say what he sees in an entertaining way and is a central figure in the show. His spat with Denise's husband only helped his pantomime role.  That said, I think he needs reigning in sometimes and not make his critique so offensive and personal.   

However, my main concern is the shift in weight to the 'performance' side of skating and not the actual skating itself. Emma Bunton was very accurate in her comments BUT she had no idea about lifts/ edges/technique.  I also believe the better skaters exited the show against better performers, E.g. comedy Dave v Kerry Katona.  I accept performance is important but Robin and Karen are perfectly capable ahead of Emma and Jason on marking the 'performance factor' of the celebs.

I did however love the twists this year. The best one, used at the wrong time was vote your fellow celebs off.  Vanilla was the coolest customer flipping a coin to make his decision. The twist would have been much better later as it would make the voting much more tactical like Big Brother. I also loved the public vote in week one though again, it would have been better to test the public vote in the middle of the series-that way we get to see what the people think of the skaters.

The twist that was most effective was the group skates doubling the scores and the semi-final group routines.  It made for every interesting viewing moving away from the hum drum of another skate off from the bottom two.

So what about Dancing On Ice and its future?  I think the series needed the twists to keep everyone on the edge of their seats. Also there were very tense moments this year with Laura in the skate off week one, Comedy Dave losing out to Kerry and Jeff Brazier in and out of skate offs to name but a few.

All in all let’s be honest, no one likes change but without it things stand still, the series was a good one and had the usual talking points and tense and exciting moments, I enjoyed watching and enjoyed shouting at the TV each week that I wanted the best skaters to go through!!!!  The producers will build on this and it means we can all look forward to next year but for now there will be so many of you that get to experience the live tour.

I've said it before that the tour was the best experience I have had, not only that you get to see the incredible T and D skate live and you will see in the pro skaters showcase their skills, I am looking forward to seeing Matt and Nina skate again they have some amazing lifts and skate well together. Alex and Lucasz will undoubtedly have another breath-taking pairs routine lined up and I will never tire of seeing a skater backflip on the ice so can't wait for Colin to undoubtedly do this each night for those going to the show.

Finally onto The Ice Party news, we are about to launch another ice party champions show at the Planet Ice Arena in the Isle of Wight with Steven Cousins and Olympic gold medallist

Elena Berezhnaya - we hope this will be on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th of September this year, keep an eye out on twitter for more news,@icepartyscott, @kyranbracken and the nice guys at the blueroom have said they will post some news o @DOI2011UK

We have been speaking to many of this year’s celebs and pros and hope to confirm something soon, availability is always an issue as these guys obviously become in demand after the series so we hope as always we can sign some skaters and celebrities you all like to see on the ice for both shows and are getting closer to signing some contracts with some new and regular skaters to our show.

I have enjoyed writing here on the blueroom again this year and always like to hear your thoughts and comments on what I write and what you would like to see in the Ice Party shows.

Until the next time, thank you for reading

Follow me on Twitter Kyran Bracken Twitter

Also associated with Gameplan Solutions
killersbee View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue

Online Status: Offline
  Quote killersbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 16:09
Spot on Kyran! And thank you for posting for this Series, I won't have time for the tour due to a big push involving leaving College and starting University
Catwoman: "For one if I was a bloke, I would not flirt with you two. I have standards."
Toots: "If I had a figure like Ola's, I'd wear that outfit to Sainsburys!"
 Post Reply Post Reply