I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Dancing On Ice - 2011
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kyran Bracken Week 5 DOI Blog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kyran Bracken View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin
The Real Deal

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kyran Bracken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kyran Bracken Week 5 DOI Blog
    Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 11:21
Show: Sunday February 6th

This was, without a shadow of a doubt, my favourite show of the series so far. From the incredible opening to Jason's jaw droppingly incredulous comment to Karen, accusing her of not being good enough to be on the panel. Then, to cap it all off, his feeble attempt to apologise.

Then there was the shock result of two really good skaters in the skate off. To be absolutely honest, Johnson and Kerry deserved to be in the skate off, but this year is proving to be a surprise to us all.

Before I judge the good, the bad and the downright ugly, let me highlight my biggest turnoff this year - THE JUDGING! There is only one score and decision I acknowledge and that is Robin’s. We now have two judges who vote on performance and one judge who votes on both skating and performance. In previous years they have had 60% of the panel as skaters, now its only 33%. I believe I would have gone out early in 2007 with this current judging panel because the judges who actually knew about skating, knew how hard the edges and lifts I was doing.

Also, there is no tension, one vote and the next decides it, and Jason and Emma will always agree because that’s all they seem to do on every show! Emma just repeats verbatim what the others say. But I must get a grip and realise I am not a skater and the competition is not real. It is all about TV and tonight was undoubtedly great TV. Jason is very watchable as the pantomime baddy. Karen's face off with him was an interesting distraction to some great skating.

The Blue Room and Twitter have been red hot on the topic but that's what it’s all about, making news and the next day’s headlines. All Monday’s papers were about the on-screen argument. I actually thought Karen was going to slap him! For what it’s worth, my own view is that what Jason said was quite simply despicable; Nicky and Karen have twice his credentials not to mention that both Jason and Karen have been given jobs by the producers of the show that they have to carry out.

Karen does not judge because she coaches all the skaters and has a different and close relationship with them all, by all means Jason, say what you like about performance and the celebrities, that after all is "your" job on the show but don't criticise a fellow employee who is also carrying out a job on the show in line with what the producers ask of her.

But, a question for all of us watching who wanted to throw their cup of tea at the screen over Jason, ask yourselves, this, what would the show be without him? Do we really want Emma, Robin and Karen saying how lovely the celebrities are and how much they are improving? The answer has to be NO! Would you go to see the Wizard of Oz without the Wicked Witch? NO!

I look forward to reading your opinions on my Twitter Kyran Bracken The Blue Room guys know I can’t get my head around posting on the forum lol! I call it old age!

So now, Holly pointed the public to vote ourselves online, so here is MY vote on Sunday night’s contestants:

Jeff Brazier - 7 Loved the performance. Great poise and seems to have turned the corner. A big lift will see him through a few more weeks.

Vanilla - I am more excited by his performances than anyone else. He is so entertaining. I loved his miming in the skate off despite Jason's ticking off. He is so positive and fun but it sounds like he is not getting votes....maybe my prediction will have to change? Your thoughts?

Sam Attwater - 8.5 Very slick, reminds me of Ray Quinn. However, he needs to keep upping his game to stay ahead. Will the public get bored? I think he is awesome. I’m just not sure he is connecting with the public - A question there for the Blue Room? IS he connecting with the public? You lot have DOI celebrity fans across the board, you tell me! I think he deserves to win, but are the public now picking up the phone for Laura or Chloe?

Comedy Dave - 4 Unless he has a fun number, he will never compete. He has been very lucky to survive so far. I hope next week’s music involves comedy or his radio votes will wane. I can't see an overhead lift this side of 2011.

Johnson - 3.5 For once I agree with Jason. An inspiration for his bravery and heroic achievements, but not his skating; he truly deserved to go this week.

Denise - 5 Her best performance yet. Assured and fun though the spin and jump, the next few weeks could be tricky. She represents all those 40+ ladies at ice rinks, learning to skate for the first time. Denise connects with the public so well and I reckon she’ll be in the competition for a few more weeks.

Kerry - 3.5 I was quite frankly surprised that she made it through to be honest. There must be hordes of PR out there for people to vote. Her management company must be working overtime. I have a sneaky feeling it is Dan who is keeping her in, he is a celebrity in his own right! Maybe it’s the show that needs her? I read more about her every week in the paper, than the whole show put together! Can't wait for all another skills week were she threatens to quit but bravely carries on...

Laura - 6 Not her best performance. The skid stop was a disaster and yet Jason gives her such a high mark? What’s going on there? So if you can perform, yet don't skate well, he still marks high. That must mean that with two NON skating judges she has a good chance of winning.

Chloe - 7.5 Well what a surprise she has been and what a great routine. She seems lovely and the public love to see kids of national treasures become their own identity. A journey I believe that sees Vanilla off my top 3 prediction.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

And finally - I was gutted not to be asked to be one of the 'Friends of Dancing on Ice to show a skill'. Maybe it’s because I am now nearly 40 - Do I have a case for ageism?

And finally, finally. I am gutted not to be asked to tour this year. I believe it is seven current DOI celebrities and Hayley. It makes sense to me, but to tour with Torvill and Dean is one of the best and proudest things I have ever done. I will be forever indebted to them. But there is nothing to stop me fooling around in my own show in Blackpool in October. So if you wanna see an old man attempting a double jump along with some celebrities from previous and this years show,

My website Kyran's Ice Party.com is being updated over the next week as is the Pleasure Beach site, however, with the show confirmed to run from Friday 21st October until Saturday 28th October, you can aready purchase tickets by calling 0871 222 90 90, so if you want to be the first few to get tickets before an official launch, call today, also you can follow Ice Party Scott who will put updates and links on twitter as we confirm cast and possibly other shows?! Watch this space!

K

Edited by Kyran Bracken - 08 Feb 2011 at 11:24
Follow me on Twitter Kyran Bracken Twitter

Also associated with Gameplan Solutions
Eviesmum View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Twilight Mad

Quote Eviesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 11:34
I agree with everything again Kyran.

I voted for Chloe and Laura this weekend.  So although I can see Sam is brilliant he isn't really my favourite.  He's also nowhere near as good as Ray either.  I really think Chloe is sneeking to be my favourite actually and I NEVER thought I'd say that.

I was surprised about the bottom 2 - I really thought it would have been Dave and Kerry - I love Frankie but I find Dave so mmmmmmmmmmmmmm so dull.

Rather disappointed about the tour announcement as it's likely Kerry will be there, she is totally rubbish and she should have gone this weekend.  Is it Dan? Is it a fix as they've paid her so much money?  Is it PR? - who knows but I'm sick of the sight her her and I feel really sorry for Dan. 

Maybe you'll judge again?
@lovingDOI View Drop Down
Fluffer
Fluffer

Quote @lovingDOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 11:38
Kyran i think you got this so so spot on. (If you not in the tour then BE a JUDGE full time on the tour). you actualy see what we see at home, and for someone who has been there, you are totaly on the ball. keep these coming Love reading them, thanks.will try do this in 140 letters on twitter LOL. if i can, :) xx
Tups View Drop Down
Swallows
Swallows
The Queen Of Tarts

Quote Tups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 11:56
sorry you're not on the tour this year Kyran..even if not skating.. you should be judging.. also be a darn good idea for YOU to be on the judging panel!.. who knows better than you what it is like to learn to skate .. and perform.. they need constructive advice not to be put down by someone nobody has any respect for.. maybe Jason should be a competitor next year... just a thought bet you'd love to judge him!!!

Edited by Tups - 08 Feb 2011 at 11:57
Annemariekx View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote Annemariekx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 18:34
I prefer Laura to Chloe as I think Laura gives a better performance but both are good skaters. My favourite is still Sam - and I do think his connection with the audience is growing. He is lovely. I cannot bear to watch Kerry - she makes me so nervous; I honestly think Dan is in danger of getting hurt skating with her. Dave is brilliant entertainment and wee Frankie is still telling it like it is. I think Kyran would make an excellent judge on TV - he has the experience and the presence. He could replace Emma. Just as long as he remembered to switch his phone off.
HeraclitusDays View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote HeraclitusDays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 21:06
Kyran I disagree with your opinions of Chloe/Laura/Denise and I most certainly wouldn't want you judging you are a RUGBY man not a Pro Skater or Pro performer. In setting out your stall you suggest you only respect the judgement of Robin, however many of the judges in the case of Chloe (7.5,7.5,7.5) and Denise (4.5,4.5,4.5) provided consistent marks so that argument falls flat on its face.

To give Laura one more mark than Denise is absurd. In relation to Laura in particular Robin (the only skating judge - your words) scored her 8.0 (higher than Chloe) whereas Emma scored her 7.5 - so a 'performance' judge who you believed boosted her votes - actually marked her down.  Jason scored her higher as she delivered a more expressive/emotive interpretation of the piece of music than Chloe. 

In my view Chloe was lost on the ice in her solo sequence, she looked unsure on her feet and this translated into a lack of poise in her upper body, furthermore I don't think she has the ability to deliver a character piece as well as Laura.  Laura had one minor slip whereas Chloe's solo step sequence looked clunky throughout.  Technically there is little difference between Laura and Chloe, but Laura is a better performer and still edges her technically. 

In relation to Chloe being a 'national treasures' daughter - I would distance myself from their suffocating presence if I were her and this would enable her to move away from the accusations of nepotism. Going back to this issue of points scoring - I think you might need to support your arguments with research in future blogs.

Edited by HeraclitusDays - 08 Feb 2011 at 21:24
killersbee View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue

Quote killersbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 09:59
Spot on Kyran, Chloe is really surprising me. I was expecting her to last till the final five, but if Jen out and Vanilla Ice in a shocker skate-off, I now believe Chloe will make the final, along with Sam and Laura who should defiantly be there
Catwoman: "For one if I was a bloke, I would not flirt with you two. I have standards."
Toots: "If I had a figure like Ola's, I'd wear that outfit to Sainsburys!"
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 19:30
Originally posted by HeraclitusDays

Kyran I disagree with your opinions of Chloe/Laura/Denise and I most certainly wouldn't want you judging you are a RUGBY man not a Pro Skater or Pro performer.

Isn't it possible to have more than one Sport?? and be familiar with the tough training regimes? (you find most Sports people are also good at a second sport, ie Footballers, with Cricket, etc.. etc)
and I think if you've reached the standard Kyran has, and participated in the show successfully, (AND  continue to tour with the DOI tour )why can't you judge????
You surely have as much right if not more than say Alesha Dixon on Strictly

(my only grievance is why Emma Bunton is a judge, now that I DON'T UNDERSTAND)

Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Virgin
Virgin

Quote HeraclitusDays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 15:08
Originally posted by deborah31

Originally posted by HeraclitusDays

Kyran I disagree with your opinions of Chloe/Laura/Denise and I most certainly wouldn't want you judging you are a RUGBY man not a Pro Skater or Pro performer.

Isn't it possible to have more than one Sport?? and be familiar with the tough training regimes? (you find most Sports people are also good at a second sport, ie Footballers, with Cricket, etc.. etc)
and I think if you've reached the standard Kyran has, and participated in the show successfully, (AND  continue to tour with the DOI tour )why can't you judge????
You surely have as much right if not more than say Alesha Dixon on Strictly

(my only grievance is why Emma Bunton is a judge, now that I DON'T UNDERSTAND)

Of course it is, my issue here is that he is [a respected former contestant] presenting arguments and not actually backing them with facts, which might unintentionally mislead people or he may have some ulterior motive.  I was easily able to counter and dismiss his argument about contestants benefitting from performance judges with little effort, so in this respect it makes me question just how much attention he is paying and therefore his suitability to judge.  

People may think Kyran knows his stuff and hold his opinion in high regard, because he has become an avid skater since participating in DOI and the tour but he is nowhere near being a Pro Skater or a Pro judge.  I don't think you should be a judge unless you have some competitive professional experience in the sport or professional performance (other forms of dancing) experience. 

Of course I don't believe Alesha or Emma should be judges in their respective shows (the later has a major conflict of interest as they are good friends of one the contestants families).  For me using former contestants in general is a big turn-off.
Eviesmum View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Twilight Mad

Quote Eviesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 20:41
These are, of course his opinions, of which he is entitled to.

Kyran has done Holiday on Ice since DOI and he does his own shows as well.  He may not be a professional as you see it but he has been paid to skate in shows.
Virgin
Virgin

Quote HeraclitusDays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 09:39
Originally posted by Eviesmum

These are, of course his opinions, of which he is entitled to.

Kyran has done Holiday on Ice since DOI and he does his own shows as well.  He may not be a professional as you see it but he has been paid to skate in shows.

Hey EM

For sure he is entitled to an opinion, I was just really disappointed by the fact that he seemed to have made rash comments or just didn't bother to do his basic homework.  I think most people hold Robin up as the most credible judge, but to suggest others may benefit from less credible judges without backing it up with some evidence just makes him appear a bit silly or to have an ulterior motive.

Kyran's involvement in those shows gives him some semblance of credibility, however if he is to maintain this credibility it might help if his opinions were supported with a few facts and figures....... surely he has a responsibility or maybe its just me being pernickety. The scoring issue still perplexes me.....they are plain for all to see. Honestly I'm not really trying to discredit him, but if his blogs are like this in future he'll be doing a good job of discrediting himself.  

Edited by HeraclitusDays - 11 Feb 2011 at 09:41
SkatingSam22 View Drop Down
Fluffer
Fluffer

Quote SkatingSam22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 21:35
I was gobsmacked that Jennifer went out .. amazed Kerry got through .. as I agree and thought she really should have gone!

I have an issue with the judging .. same as yours really, each week I sit and say that really the judges marks (aside from Robin) aren't really credible because they aren't skaters .. I'm not saying bring Karen back, as I think she likes her role as head coach, it gives her more of a relationship with the skaters - but find another skating judge!!

You wouldn't want any old celebrities judging strictly come dancing would you? .. this is no different!!

As for Jason .. had it been me, I dunno whether I'd have kept myself as calm as Karen did! I agree that the show needs to keep Jason, at the end of the day he brings a certain character to the show .. though I feel in some cases he should .. ease off the wording that he uses. For example, he referred to someone as rigor mortis .. try explaining that to a 8/9 year old!! she cried bless her!! It's a family show after all .. abit of .. sensitivity would .. be helpful :)

Meh - my opinion :)

can't wait for tomorrow, I can now enjoy Sunday's with it back on my screen! :)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 11:02
I was expecting her to last till the final five, but if Jen out and Vanilla Ice in a shocker skate-off, I now believe Chloe will make the final, along with Sam and Laura who should defiantly be there !
 Post Reply Post Reply