I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Dancing On Ice - 2011
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Beharry: I want to go back to Iraq

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beharry: I want to go back to Iraq
    Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 12:35
Beharry: I want to go back to Iraq

By LEIGH HOLMWOOD Deputy TV Editor

Published: Today

ARMY hero Johnson Beharry wants to go back to Iraq - so he can recall the horrific attack that cost him half his brain.

The Dancing On Ice star, 31, was awarded the Victoria Cross in 2005 after driving troops to safety despite suffering appalling injuries.

And he says going back to Basra could help him.

Hero%20...%20Johnson%20on%20duty
Hero ... Johnson on duty
Lance Corporal Johnson told TV Biz: "I would like to go back to where everything happened to try to see if I can get closure, because I can't remember where it happened or how it happened." The serviceman, of 1st Battalion, the Princess of Wales' Royal Regiment, suffered severe injuries in two attacks six weeks apart in 2004.

He remembers the first incident in May that saw him rescue colleagues after the armoured vehicle he was driving was hit by rocket-propelled grenades.

But Johnson has little recollection of the second in June, in which his vehicle again came under attack and he suffered further terrible injuries. Once again he showed incredible strength and drove his pals to safety.

Speaking about the second incident, he said: "I lost all my memory of it.

"I just remember waking up in hospital. I lost everything up to that point.

"But my brain is still remembering things and it has never managed to come out of it and wind down. I am still suffering from stress and pain in my head."

He added: "I am always in pain, but I have never let it stop me. It is mind over matter and I carry on.

"If I could go back to Iraq it would help me or it could make it worse.

"But it is important to go back, even if the end result could be a tricky one. I'm confident that I can go back and get closure. I believe everything is in the mind."

Johnson, who is partnered by Jodeyne Higgins on the ITV1 show, also desperately wants to fight in Afghanistan - but Army chiefs have ruled it out.

He revealed: "I'd like to go back to Afghanistan on duty to close that chapter too.

"I've spoken to the military but I don't think it will happen because of my medical grading.

"I am not allowed to leave the UK on duty. But I'd like to go out and visit the troops. I just want to put myself back into that environment."

Johnson wants to make any return trips into a documentary - and said several broadcasters are interested.

He added: "It's been put on the back burner while I'm in Dancing On Ice but when I finish the show I'll focus on it. I want to be fully involved in it."

The Sun
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 12:36
Johnson's Ice Diary For This Week

IT'S been really difficult learning my routine this week. Early on I had a total memory block. Each contestant has to skate the length of the rink alone and the footwork was too much.

Last week went so well and I've had so much support that I really want to do well. When I got the routine on Monday I was really happy with it and the song, Billy Joel's Piano Man. But I was so tired I just couldn't continue training. I only did about 20 minutes.

My footwork seemed impossible. On Tuesday, I still couldn't grasp the steps and I was really worried.

But by Wednesday I started to get a bit of movement and by Thursday we started putting it together in blocks.

There is still a lot of work to be done. I'm confident I'll get it, but will it be perfect? That is the big question.

Jayne and Christopher wouldn't have given me the routine if they didn't think I could pull it off.

Now it is just about getting back on the rink and giving it 100 per cent.

ClareBear203 View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote ClareBear203 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 13:05
I was going to comment on this but i'm being tactful and not as i dont think my opinions will go down too well.

Ah what the hell, i cant keep my gob shut and i have itchy fingers so i will comment.
Whilst i lift my hat to him for what hes done and what hes been through, he truly deserves his medal, he truly is a hero, i think he should go back cos i'm sure he made a better soldier than a skater!
He's not going to win either unless the sob story works! but really he has no technical skill and is just O.K. I wish him luck however in the comp and i wish him well with everything he does!!
ClareBear203 you can also follow me on Twitter @ClareBear203 or on Facebook Clare Kitchen-Barnfather :0)
 Post Reply Post Reply