I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017 > Aida's World Famous SCD Blog
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

... and it's "Goodnight!" from me!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aida View Drop Down
Penis FlyTrap
Penis FlyTrap

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ... and it's "Goodnight!" from me!
    Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 00:29
I've always said that when Scott Maslen went, I would go too - well, he's gone - and I'm off too, but I didn't want to leave without bidding a final 'Addio' and extending my thanks to the three or four forum members who've supported me throughout this dismal series!

I feared, even before it started,that this series would disappoint me - and it has - although, to be truthful, all of the things I loved about the old show had begun to erode when the poster-boy for smugness - Tom Chambers - was manipulated into the final and the winner's slot. Hollins' undeserved success made it even worse, as did the meteoric rise of the Jordans, both of whom I dislike with equal vigour - but, I'm human and as Alexander Pope puts it "hope springs eternal in the human breast"

Clearly, Pope had never come across an organisation driven by the steely determination of the BBC to implement its own covert agenda and transform my once-beloved show into something approaching the tackiness of the American version, complete with what appears to be scripted judges, manipulative marking and the (in hindsight) clever use of the comedy distracter - personified by the appalling (on many different levels) Widdecombe who provided a smokescreen to what was really going on.

Not only did her presence create such dissidence between those who loved the show for the dancing and those who fell for the myth that someone determined to alter the whole structure of the show to suit herself was 'entertaining', that I failed to notice for a couple of weeks that the individual dances, as I knew them, had largely disappeared and been replaced by prop-ridden 'show dances' - some of which - to me - were far too sleazy to be broadcast on a 'family show'.

I could go on (and on and on) - but my feelings have been plain throughout the series, so why become repetitious? The stage for the final is now set, the Beeb have exactly the finalists they wanted - and before a step is danced next week, here are my predictions:-

Stephenson and Jordan will win, even if they stumble and fall in every dance, simply because the powers-that-be behind SCD want to cement the Jordans as the new professional 'Golden Couple' - and I suspect that either something lucrative like a chat show has been lined up for dear Pammie or they believe they're on a promise to get Connelly as a contestant next year.

Ka-ra and R-Tem will probably come second - because it's almost a tradition now that the perceived 'best dancers' don't win overall - but - I don't feel quite so certain about this as much depends upon how massive a hissy fit Farmer Matt will throw at the production meeting if he finds he's not to be allowed to play the part of the gallant runner-up - smiling bravely through the tears which will be filling his eyes, of course.

Needless to say, it doesn't really matter who wins to me because I couldn't care less and I won't be watching the Final!

In conclusion, it's quite laughable to reflect on how I mourned the loss of Matt Cutler and Lilia Kopylova from the ranks of the professionals - because in retrospect, how wise they were to distance themselves from the rubbish SCD has become. I don't think I could have borne to have seen either of them sentenced to cut the same sad and pathetic figures as did Judas Bennett in the 'filler' for the Semi-final results show, prancing around among the second-rate wallopers! It seemed highly significant that Ian Waite was noticeable by his absence.

In an earlier post - my 'Requiem for SCD' - I referred to the analogy of the 'wonderful' Wizard of Oz losing his credibility once the curtain was lifted on his real role in the Emerald City - well, the curtain which veiled the machinations which drive SCD has certainly been lifted for me, and the show will never be the same again, so I'm clicking my ruby-slippered heels together and 'going home' for good - but I'll leave you with this thought - if you were a young minor celeb/older 'fading' star hoping to give your career a boost, would you risk your reputation and agree to be part of the next series?
No?
Me neither!

Toodle-pip, then - stay warm and well!

Edited by Aida - 13 Dec 2010 at 00:32

Cats were once worshipped as gods in Ancient Egypt. They've never forgotten this.

Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 18:09
Well Aida, your final blog has me laughing yet feeling sad.

Your command of the English language and powers of observation never fail to have me giggling and many is the Sunday morning that has been made brighter on reading your account of the previous evenings cavortings. But it is with a heavy heart that I realise this new SCD has had such an effect on you, that you feel you can no longer watch.

I said a while ago that if I were one of the pro's I would have walked out, such are the depths that this show has now sunk to.  With a few exceptions it has made a joke out of something I love and I can't forgive the woman responsible.  I haven't been watching the results show and so haven't been watching the troupe, so I didn't know Ian was absent.  Do you think he has come to his senses?

I will however watch the final, because I am a stubborn old goat.  I will record it though and simply watch the dance routines, skipping merrily past over-excitable judges, insane marking and the usual tearful VT's! And here is where I will disagree with you, because I would be very happy for Pamela to win.  Apart from a few daft openers, Pam and JAmes have been consistent through the competition and have actually danced what was required of them.

So I'll bid a fond farewell Aida, but I hope you'll bob in from time to time for a chat.  The Blueroom and I will miss you.
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
anniemay View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote anniemay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 22:54
Aida, thank you so much for keeping us entertained with your blog, and todays was sad but oh so true. It is not the programme we started to watch is it,  but thats progress I guess.  Do keep  in touch, we don`t want you to leave us.    
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 23:08
thank you Aida for all the laughs and stories of your cats you have definitely made SCD all the more enjoyable and this year bearable with your blogs.

I hope this is just goodbye to SCD and not the Blueroom totally and that you will pop in from time to time and keep us uptodate with your news and the adventures of the cats

brenxxx
Tups View Drop Down
Swallows
Swallows
The Queen Of Tarts

Quote Tups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 15:28

so so sad to read this Aida..I agree with Thess entirely.. don't blame you at all.. I shall miss YOU more than I will miss the program.. Bren will tell you before this season started.. we were soo looking forward to your blog.. and to be honest our excitement at reading about your home and hubby and the felines and your life was far more important to me than any of the dancing.. except maybe for Artem.. ok.. I'm shallow!Whistle

I hope this is just ta-ra for now Aida.. I hope another program will come along and capture your imagination and make you feel like  letting us into your life again.. I will miss you Cry
As for Strictly.. I think it's had it's day.. if this is the way it's going to go in the future.. I too will be saying bye bye.. it's a shadow of it's former self .. I would say it's turned into a huge joke, but I'm not laughing!
Keep in touch please Aida.. and thank you for all the fun you've brought to us all
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and  yours xxx
 Post Reply Post Reply