I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017 > Aida's World Famous SCD Blog
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Requiem for Strictly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aida View Drop Down
Penis FlyTrap
Penis FlyTrap

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Requiem for Strictly
    Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 11:33
As promised, despite my reservations, I’ve tried my utmost, but I can’t bring myself to write this blog any more and it seems only fair to give you my rationale for coming to this decision after being a devoted fan of the show from the first second it burst onto our screens what now seems like aeons ago.

I make no apologies, however, for the following paragraphs, which could easily be subtitled ‘Strictly: How do I hate thy current format, let me count the ways’ - these are my truthful, personal views and I neither expect to be agreed with nor intend to argue the toss with those who disagree with me.

This series is horrible, simply horrible - I won’t waste time and words in castigating Forysth and Daley because anyone who has read my blogs knows exactly how I feel about the vacuous pair of them.

I won't waste time discussing the non-role of the ‘joodges’ either - apart from to say that I am utterly sick and tired of reading the vindictive nonsense, not necessarily on this forum, about the role Alesha Dixon plays - I use the term ‘plays’ purposely, anyone who believes that the repartee of all four of them isn’t carefully rehearsed and scripted is on an intellectual par with Daley.

It’s pointless to try to defend her use of English - Goodman is equally guilty, yet never castigated - and as for the endless yearning and calls to reinstate Arlene Phillips, I have an excellent memory and recall with great clarity the times St. Arlene made me cringe at her lewd, slavering comments directed at the male contestants - on the rare occasions on which she actually managed to stutter her way through her pre-rehearsed, often pathetic attempts at alliteration, of course.

I also remember her shrill skriking and insistence that ‘more SEX’ was the way to gain high marks - well, why shouldn’t she think that - she’s lived off inflicting ‘Hot Gossip’ on an unsuspecting nation for decades!

It seems that even though she has departed, her aethos has remained and is driving the current series - excellent, graceful dancers have been unceremoniously dumped and their places taken by tattooed, shaven-headed ‘wallopers’, a child with no dance-training, and a set of women who are made up as slappers and presented in costumes more befitting lap-dancers!

One of the things I loved most about the previous series of SCD was ‘learning’ the dances - my health is poor and dancing myself impossible, but I loved reading the views of the dancers and dance experts on the Blue Room and spent many hours researching the terms they used, so that I could differentiate between the different dances on the show. Best of all, I could be transported away to a dream of wearing a beautiful, elegant gown and being swept around the floor in a romantic waltz, quickstep or foxtrot by a handsome man in faultless evening dress, or bouncing frothily through a samba in a party dress of breathtaking beauty. I could go on, but it’s too painful.

What do I dream of now? Galloping through the bare minimum of steps ’required’ by the dance for about 30 seconds wearing a gaudy and revealing frock (even for a waltz) while striving to remember the comedy routine which begins and ends the spot.   

The only ‘cupple’ worth watching, for me, on Saturday, were Scott and Natasha - I thought them superb and their dance, music and costumes divine, but having read the threads here and elsewhere,although praised they seem to have attracted the least comment. Scott’s already been ‘encouraged’ to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find something to offer as an apologia for his looks and obvious talent and so far has cited the dead grandmother and wheeled on the child to try to engage the viewing public. Why should he have to do this, if ‘dance potential’ is the focus?

Having broached this subject, I imagine someone, somewhere is going to instantly inform me that the programme’s focus isn’t ‘dance’, but ‘light entertainment’! Really? Well, I disagree - for me, it’s neither light nor is it entertaining in its current incarnation - I would go further - many of the ’dances’, costumes and salacious asides are totally unsuited to a Saturday night television spot usually earmarked for children’s programmes - apart, of course, from the comedy element which is more suited to CBeebies.

Some of the blame could be laid at the door of the X-factor, that sensitive reincarnation of the popular 19th century pastime of visiting Bedlam to laugh at the lunatics confined there. In those heady days of ‘pleasure’, a sharpened stick was issued to visitors with which to poke the unfortunate patients through the bars of their cells if they proved too quiet or not entertaining enough. Nowadays X-factor devotees have to make do with Simon Cowell - which they do, in their dumbed-down millions - and will continue to do whatever depths Strictly sinks to in order to try to inspire them to switch allegiance.

The inclusion of Ann Widdecombe as a contestant has to constitute a previously-undreamed of ’depth’ - if they wanted someone to quarrel with Reville-Horwood and match his wit, why didn’t they just appoint her as a ’joodge’? God knows, as I’ve said many times before, it scarcely matters who sits on the panel, the Chuckle Brothers and Sooty and Sweep would have as much influence with the GBP.

I digress. What on earth possessed this woman for her to imagine that anyone with the slightest interest in politics will be able to forget her disgraceful and callous 'rule' as Minister for Prisons? I'd have had (slightly more) respect for her if her recent conversion to Catholicism had inspired her to turn the other cheek and apologise to those she wronged via her heartless bigotry, but how can I have a shred of sympathy with a person who is so eager to destroy her questionable legend and reputation in such a cheap and tawdry way? Has she lost her mind? Does she hope to become a ’national treasure’? Does she hope to fund a lucrative career describing her 'dancing' experiences on cruise-liners to augment the money she makes hectoring those who consider that legal abortion is a woman's right? Do the BBC really hope to retain previous devotees of the show should she go on to ’win’ the series?

Perhaps the simple answer to that is ’no’ - what they hope for is to attract a whole new audience who have no interest whatsoever in dance per se, but enjoy seeing a parade of barely-covered flesh, raunchy gyrations and posturing to modern music, ’funny’ routines and a resident ‘game oldie’ tottering around and striving to endear themselves to the baying, screaming, whooping studio audience and the type of viewer whose fingers itch to vote for them in preference to any of the other poor saps who are actually trying to master the dances.

Well, that’s it for me - I just heard on the radio that they’ve dropped the idea of the live horse and are considering having a pantomime horse instead, and that, in a nutshell, is the final straw. I’ve had more than enough of it - it’s not ‘my’ programme any more and I’m off. I tried. I’m sorry!

Thanks so much to the handful of people who have supported and encouraged me - I'll be back from time to time to see how you're all going on!   

Edited by Aida - 13 Dec 2010 at 09:48

Cats were once worshipped as gods in Ancient Egypt. They've never forgotten this.

Tups View Drop Down
Swallows
Swallows
The Queen Of Tarts

Quote Tups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 18:11
so so sorry to hear this Aida.. part of the Strictly experience  for me was your blog.. my daughter hates the show.. but always reads your blog.. she always said she didn't need to watch it as your descriptions were so vivid  and to watch it could only be a disappointment.
I will miss hearing about the hubba and the cats, we felt we were in the room with you..I have stayed up many a Saturday night until you posted your blog,, daughter used to laugh and say Aida's posted.. mum's having a fit!
I can't say I blame you for how you feel about Strictly Aida..the Widdecombe debacle has mae me  angry and  frustrated. I'm not a dancer.. but I admire and respect the art of dance.. to me that is what the program is about.. I'm all for fun and frolics.. but I would watch  something like it's a Knockout if that's what I wanted.. I don't want to see that element brought into what should primarily be a dance show.
I will probably stick with it.. with the hope that they get rid of Annton pretty soon.. I'll watch it for those who can dance and those who are progressing.. but I believe Strictly's days are sadly numbered.
I am more upset to be robbed of my Aida blog.. don't be a stranger Aida.. please keep in touch  and post from time to time ..Saturday nights won't be the same without you..
thank you for taking  the time and effort to entertain us as you do.. you deserve old Methuselah's fee.. far more than he does!!!!!!!

A very Sad Tups xxx
anniemay View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote anniemay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 21:56
Sadly, I understand how you feel, but like Tups, I will miss your oh so graphic descriptions of the competion. I watched some of the first series and all of them since. I suppose some changes to the formula was to be expected, but this year they have almost changed it to DWTS, why, when that programme already exists. It was a mistake (in my opinion) to leave out Ian and Matthew who always got the best out of their partners and the props and being  so long out of hold doesn`t work for me, but I will hang in there and hope that one of the better dancers win. Thanks again Aida, don`t leave us altogether, keep in touch.
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 10:32
Sad to read this Aida but knew it was coming as SCD falls more into farce each week - but don't be a stranger there are loads of other threads than SCDBig%20smile and perhaps if we get rid of the idiots and the SCD final looks ok you will blog that? 

Aida View Drop Down
Penis FlyTrap
Penis FlyTrap

Quote Aida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 13:54
I'm so sorry - I feel absolutely terrible about it, but I was starting to worry that it was becoming too easy to cross the line between relatively gentle 'ribbing' and the sort of vindictive malice which makes people justifiably angry when it's directed at their favourites and causes resentment and bad feeling on a forum.

How about this - because I'd miss you all so much if I didn't come here, whenever I can actually bring myself to watch the programme, I'll do a much shorter 'Strictly Highlight of the Week' about the part/s which amused me, the hubba and the furries the most? Or maybe even a brief resume of the cats' perceptions of Strictly-watching for those who like to hear about the furry blighters?

Would that do?

Cats were once worshipped as gods in Ancient Egypt. They've never forgotten this.

Eviesmum View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac
Twilight Mad

Quote Eviesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 14:55
Yes please, anything is better than nothing. 
anniemay View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote anniemay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 15:15
Yes please Aida, it just wouldn`t be the same without some thoughts from you on what you have seen.
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 15:33
yes Aida thank you
Jonnyboy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Gonk

Quote Jonnyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 16:10
Aida, you have been and I hope will remain such a asset to this site, whatever you end up doing, I do hope you will stick around and talk to us in the other areas of the site, and know that you have the thanks and gratitude of all of us at team Blue Room. x
Stanmorewitch View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote Stanmorewitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 16:43
    ShockedAida, I can understand your disappointment with the show and the path it is now taking, and how disheartening it is to watch it. As a long term devotee of the show, like yourself, your blog made watching the show tolerable. Without it being onerous on you and no pressure, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee comment on it in whatever way you feel able. It may not be around for too long anyway at the way its going.
killersbee View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue

Quote killersbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 18:59
As many others have said, your blogs sum up Strictly in the best way possible
Catwoman: "For one if I was a bloke, I would not flirt with you two. I have standards."
Toots: "If I had a figure like Ola's, I'd wear that outfit to Sainsburys!"
Tups View Drop Down
Swallows
Swallows
The Queen Of Tarts

Quote Tups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 20:19
Aida.. I'll be happy with anything you can bring yourself to do.. most of us feel the same way you do.. so whatever you feel up to.. I'll certainly look forward to!
Thank you so much for reconsidering.. I would miss you far more than the  program itself! xx
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 21:30
Hey Aida
It's been great to read your blog every Saturday/Sunday, and to read your opinions and views of the show, I really enjoy you waxing lyrically about all the shannanigans.
It's great too, to  have all sorts of opinions on this site, from all point of views, and to see opinions from all walks and professions of life.
I actually am enjoying this series,  I think I'm in the minority on this site, but non-the less i do like to see everyone elses views and opinions.  I'm afraid the show is  one of the few things I enjoy about the British Winter!
Those people i know personally,  who watch the show ('non-dancing' friends) love Ann, and Anton!! Shocked, yes i know shock , horror, but i respect their views  well sort of, LOL.

As i've said many times, i just enjoy the show for the entertainment, and have always loved music and dance , of any sort, and I've also loved Brucie, so I will probably carry on watching the show while he's still around.  It's also great to have friends around when it's on , have a good laugh over a drink or two too! and have a good laugh about it afterwards, after even more drinks!!!

I'm hanging on too-  to see if my fav fan  Marian Keyes will return again to ITT, after her serious bout of depression not too long ago, hopefully the loss of her beloved 'Lillia' from the show, was not enough to sender her back into the depths again!!

Anyway, i can understand you not watching if you don't enjoy it. I certainly would'nt  watch any show i didn't enjoy, life's too short imo!!  I don't watch the results show anymore, as no need to once i've seen the results here.

Enjoy your Gin, Cats, and Chinese without the added indigestion from SCD!!

Deb.xox
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Jillybrum View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote Jillybrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 20:08
I would like to add my depression that you are Jo longer blogging but also my understanding of why you are doing it. I really think ( even though I am one) politicians should think twice about going on reality shows. I also agree that the dance element, which is the reason I watch, has been lost. Sorry to see you go but don't disappear completely.
Jillyjb
Aida View Drop Down
Penis FlyTrap
Penis FlyTrap

Quote Aida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 09:23
Never fear, Jill and Debs, if you scroll up the posts a bit you'll see that I decided to have another go, trying a new more 'streamlined' approach.

To be honest, I felt a bit guilty and very much humbled when it dawned on me that people on here (and on the Cat forum I post on) actually enjoy reading my ramblings!
There isn't a blushing 'smilie', but if there was, I'd have stuck it in right here!

deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 22:15
must have a look at a cat forum!
i'm always reading the cat monthly mag, as i have an Asian inbred cat!!
he's more like a dog!, likes being walked, goes with us to neighbours houses, and leaves when we do!! (he'll sit and wait outside, if he can't get in- usually thru a cat flap)
loves sitting on the back ledge of my car, and loves everyone elses cars, even jumped in a taxi with us!! Very talkative too. Especially when i'm on the phone.
Never had a cat before, hence why i think, he thinks he's a dog!.  He'll answer to his name, and come running too ,.... very strange, think lit's a relative come back to haunt me, LOL.

Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>