I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > The Apprentice
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lord Sugar under attack for Nigeria comments

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lord Sugar under attack for Nigeria comments
    Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 12:04

Lord Sugar under attack after 'demeaning' smears about Nigeria on Apprentice

By Rachel Quigley
Last updated at 9:50 AM on 22nd October 2010

His acerbic put-downs have earned him millions of fans.

Now they have also earned Lord Sugar an enemy.

The business tycoon has come under fire from Nigeria’s High Commissioner in London who accuses the peer of insulting millions of his countrymen on The Apprentice.

The diplomat claims the TV star made ‘demeaning’ and ‘spurious’ comments about the African country based on his own ‘sordid’ dealings with one individual. 

Lord%20Sugar
His%20Excellency%20Nigerian%20High%20Commissioner%20Dr.%20Dalhatu%20Sarki%20Tafida

Lord Sugar (left) has come under fire from Nigeria’s High Commissioner in London Dr Dalhatu Sarki Tafida (right) who accuses the peer of insulting millions of his countrymen on The Apprentice

In a statement, His Excellency Dr Dalhatu Sarki Tafida accuses Lord Sugar of smearing Nigeria’s reputation with the ‘unprovoked’ and ‘damaging’ attack with no explanation offered as to what he based it on.

In the first episode of the show Lord Sugar suggested Nigerians could not be trusted when it comes to dealing with financial promises after asking hopeful Stuart Baggs why he should not fire him.

Mr Baggs assured Lord Sugar: ‘If you give me one hundred grand a year, I will deliver to you 10 times that and if I don’t — take it all back. A money back guarantee, I’m that confident.’

Lord Sugar replied: ‘I had an offer like that from Nigeria once and funnily enough it didn’t transpire.’

Nigeria has developed a reputation as a base for ‘mass marketing’ rackets in which organised criminals seek to cheat victims of money by offering prizes, cash back or other incentives, which subsequently fail to materialise, in return for upfront large cash payments.

The Apprentice is a pre-recorded show and the BBC have also been criticised for allowing the pre-recorded clip to be broadcast.

Today a statement issued on Dr Tafida’s behalf said: ‘Lord Sugar’s remark on Nigeria is preposterous and spurious for a number of reasons.

‘It was an unprovoked, damaging remark on a sovereign and independent state of over 150million people, based on his alleged sordid and isolated deal with a Nigerian individual. It is indeed demeaning and unfortunate.’

Lord Sugar has given no explanation as to whether the comment was based on his own experiences or is a stereotyped view about Nigerians.

A BBC spokesman said: ‘It is clear Lord Sugar was just making a reference to a perception about email scams. I think that was what the remark was about and a person has chosen to make a comment on it.

‘It is clear what he was referring to and I don’t think it can be seen as a comment against the whole Nigerian nation.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1322602/The-Apprentice-2010-Lord-Sugar-attack-Nigeria-smears.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz135IqADCS
Annemariekx View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Annemariekx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 12:53
Is someone paying the Nigerian commisioner to say these things?
 Post Reply Post Reply