I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > The Apprentice
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BBC interview with Lord Sugar plus his fave moment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
He can heal the sick

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BBC interview with Lord Sugar plus his fave moment
    Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 15:45

Follow our Apprentice Twitter The UK Apprentice

Lord Alan Sugar on the new series of The Apprentice

Lord Sugar, could you tell us how the candidates were recruited for series six of The Apprentice? How involved you were in the process?

As always, aspiring candidates were encouraged to apply via the BBC website. The most impressive applicants are then invited to the interview process at which point we are always able to sift out the chancers and wannabes.

I always look at the final CVs and scrutinise every one. Ultimately one of these candidates will eventually have to join my organisation and that is something I take extremely seriously.

Lord%20Alan%20Sugar

What was your favourite moment of series six?

There are some great moments in this series but a particular favourite of mine was the international task where they will have to sell crisps to the Germans, who, let's just say, have a very particular taste preference.

What was the worst moment of all the series?

It's never good when candidates who are experienced in a particular field end up under-performing in a task that lends itself to their apparent skill set. This happens during the new series and it really gets on my wick.

What advice would you have for 16-year-old business GCSE students - should they continue studying business or crack on and get a job?

There is no right or wrong route to success. The academic route isn't for everybody, but that isn't to say all 16-year-olds should pack in their school work. I left school with no qualifications and went on to achieve great things in business, but courses for horses, as they say.

You've said that Philip Green would be too far out of his comfort zone to succeed at the challenges you set the candidates...

I am certain that if you took any of our country's most successful businessmen and put them in a factory, having had no sleep and told them to make sausages and then sell them on a market stall, they would fail.

The Apprentice is all about taking people out of their comfort zones and seeing how they perform. Even Philip Green has an Achilles heel, I'm sure!

Do you enjoy watching the finished TV show or does it wind you up?

Yes absolutely, it's the first chance I get to see how they actually performed on a task as opposed to relying on reports from Nick Hewer and Karren Brady. Some of the mistakes they make are laughable.

Have you ever privately changed your mind over firing a candidate and wished you'd kept them in for an extra week?

I have never regretted a decision, but yes, there are some candidates that perhaps should have stayed in the process for a longer period.

Have you ever spotted a kindred spirit in a candidate - someone who reminds you of yourself?

I'm cut from a different cloth and have yet to meet a candidate that is a replication of me, but there are certainly candidates in the past who have shown flashes of me when I was younger.

What are you most proud of about The Apprentice's success - especially since it hasn't been matched in the US Apprentice?

I'm proud of how far we've come. From being considered a somewhat niche programme on BBC Two to being recognised as one of BBC One's highest rating shows really is no mean feat.

We are now on our sixth series and looking forward to seventh so we've proven what a successful format The Apprentice can be when fronted by Lord Sugar as opposed to Donald Trump

Enjoy a couple of the comments!

At 2:40pm on 07 Oct 2010, Yummycakemaker wrote:

• Can someone on the BBC please explain to me why the girls won the task last night? While I understand that the Apollo team's absolute profit was £15 higher than Synergy's, they spent considerably more. My "back of the fag packet" calculations show that the Apollo team's return on investment was 60% whereas the Synergy team's return on investment was a whopping 106%. I don't doubt that a businessman with the aptitude of Lord Sugar also recognises this as a better result, so why is the BBC patronising its public by downplaying what is really not such a difficult concept? What? Confused

• 7. At 4:37pm on 07 Oct 2010, John GG wrote:

Slightly irritated by the question "What are you most proud of about The Apprentice's success - especially since it hasn't been matched in the US Apprentice?" as it's basically not true....

The US Apprentice is a very successful show and is still going strong - I was watching the US Celebrity version when I was in Canada earlier this year. True - it's a very different show - typical tasks tend to be creating new marketing campaigns for Nike or Coca-Cola, whereas in the UK version it's designing new posters for Sid's discount shoes or the local dog track...... LOL

The US version doesn't get great viewing figures over here because the BBC shows it at half past midnightand doesn't advertise it (afraid perhaps that it makes the BBC version look a bit lame ?)

Don't get me wrong - I love the UK version too. Different country but same egotistical nut cases .... 

Source

Edited by Alex - 13 Oct 2010 at 15:48
 Post Reply Post Reply