I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > The Apprentice
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sugar didn't have a clue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
He can heal the sick

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sugar didn't have a clue
    Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 12:28

LORD ALAN SUGAR returned to our TV screens this week in the new series of The Apprentice. But the straight-talking business leader wasn't always held in such high esteem.

In this extract from his book Take Note! Former Spurs and England midfield star Darren Anderton reveals his clashes with Sugar and recalls the day his successor Daniel Levy declared: 'You're fired.'

WHEN Alan Sugar sold his shares in Tottenham in 2007 he was quoted as saying his time with the club had been 'A waste of my life.'

He also had a parting shot for me, saying that my body parts wouldn't even be good for a museum.I actually liked Alan Sugar but he was good and bad during his time at White Hart Lane.He wanted to do well for Tottenham Hotspur and was prepared to take risks to achieve it.

He paid me ridiculously good wages and kept the club afloat during difficult financial times.But he also made a huge mistake in forcing Terry Venables out and when times were bad his way of reacting to it was by screaming and shouting.

He was fair to a point, but easily riled, and I think it p****d him off that my agent got the better of him a couple of times in contract negotiations.

I have watched him on The Apprentice and I'm sure he might have felt like uttering his 'You're fired' catchphrase to me on occasions. He was obviously a great businessman but he didn't have a clue about football.

I remember the 1999-2000 season when the doctor told me I had degeneration in my Achilles and needed an operation which would keep me out for 12 weeks. I was close to tears and the following morning it was all over the back page of one of the papers. I was slaughtered for being injured again and the article stated that no one would touch me if my contract ran out. It left me devastated. It was hard enough having to have another operation. To see all this highlighted in a tabloid was the last thing I needed.I wondered who could have given the paper this information. I knew it wasn't the doctor nor the manager, George Graham.

That's when my thoughts then turned to Alan Sugar.

I knew when he'd had his bust-up with Terry Venables, a lot of what he had to say appeared in this paper, which made me strongly suspect it was him. If he had done it, I wondered how my own chairman could be so insensitive.

So I phoned him and said, 'Please tell me you didn't feed that story this morning.'  He started ranting, 'Well, you and Teddy Sheringham are always f*****g slaughtering me in the Press.'

I'd remembered they'd had a slagging match when Teddy had moved to Manchester United, and replied, 'I've never done that. 'Your arguments with Teddy via the Press are nothing to do with me. You're a disgrace!  'I've just been told that I'm not able to play football for three months.'I'm absolutely devastated. I didn't play for England this summer in order to be spot on to play for your club.'How f*****g dare you feed the Press a story like that on me. I turned down Manchester United to sign for you when you were begging me to stay!

'He replied, 'You're f*****g injured again and you won't sign a new contract.' I said, 'I've never said I won't sign a new contract. I'm just not happy with the one that is on the table. It's called negotiating! 'You're an absolute joke! I can't believe what you've done to me with that s****y article.'

I was still seething when I put the phone down and my girlfriend Katie, whom I'd just started seeing, turned to me and asked, 'Who was that?'I said, 'The chairman, Alan Sugar.' She said, 'Oh my God! You speak to your boss like that?'

EXTRACTS from TakeNote! The Darren Anderton biography published by DB Publishing on Monday, October 18, £18.99.

Source - The Sun

Edited by Alex - 08 Oct 2010 at 12:31
 Post Reply Post Reply