I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > Strictly Come Dancing 2017 > Aida's World Famous SCD Blog
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quo Vadis?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aida View Drop Down
Penis FlyTrap
Penis FlyTrap

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quo Vadis?
    Posted: 27 July 2010 at 15:31
Well, this is the time of year when the nights begin to slowly, but inexorably, draw in, and it’s also the time of year when I start to look forward to cosy Saturday evenings with the hubba at the Pyramid! There are Chinese suppers to be consumed despite the antics of five over-indulged cats who believe they should get their share first, copious gins-and tonic to be imbibed to either drown the sorrows of Sunderland AFC’s determination to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory every week, or to celebrate the sheer beauty and brilliance of the way Barcelona FC approach the ‘Beautiful Game’ - and, of course - Strictly - the glittery, glamorous, gorgeous excuse to leave the worries of the Premier League, La Liga, and the overdraft behind and be swept away on a wave of glorious dancing.

Only it isn’t now - is it?   Il Divino (My New Beloved) and Prince Charming have left the building and taken the Russian Princess with them, while My Original Beloved - Ian-of-the-Wicked Eyes, is relegated to some ‘troupe’ along with Judas Bennett and assorted others. The news of their passing - for me - was akin to the moment when the corner of the curtain was lifted in the Wizard of Oz - my vision of the perfumed, romantic wonder of it all (which admittedly has wavered dangerously during the last two series) suffered a seismic shock and vanished with a whimper.

Have you ever been to a restaurant or theatre where your surroundings seem sumptuous and glittering in the soft glow of candlelight, only to find, in the cold, clear light of day that what you believed was velvet is velour, that the gilded fittings are chipped, the linen which looked so immaculate is spotted and frayed, the waiters’ jackets are stained and ill-fitting or the costumes of the cast are tawdry and garish?

That’s how I now feel about the show I once loved dearly enough to spend enjoyable hours on Saturday evenings analysing and ‘reviewing’ - not just for the fantastic support and wonderful comments I was lucky enough to attract on my beloved ‘Cool Blue - I loved that, but I’d have done my writing just for myself, just to keep a record of my enjoyment and pleasure in the triumphs (and abject failures) paraded for our delectation every Saturday night.

What’s to look forward to now that the scales have shattered and fallen from my eyes? Did they really shatter when I read the news about the forthcoming changes, or did the first fatal cracks appear in them when the ghastly Tom Chambers smarmed and smugged his way to a dubious victory, then finally begin to crumble at the ludicrous finale of last year’s fiasco.

I still can’t quite believe that the BBC managed to find someone in their ranks even smugger than Chambers, I honestly thought that Chambers was Sir Smuggins Smug, of Smugville Smuggery, Smugland and that his tainted ’victory’ had been stage-managed by the Beeb to give Camilla, the gaily-painted twig, a good send off - but lo - from somewhere deep in the hellish bowels of the Beeb, they found the fell, grinning Hollins!

To my dismay, I, who usually can dash off a quick 2000 words on any given subject, found myself both speechless and livid at the ’push’ this talentless gargoyle was given, and by the willingness of the Great British Public to gobble up every last morsel of ’spin’ which was woven on his behalf by the combined efforts of that ninny Winkleman, the entire BBC Breakfast team, and the producers/editors of Strictly who never hesitated to promote him at every opportunity.

Now that the candle-glow has faded and the harsh strip-lights are on for me, the costumes once so glisteningly lovely, look cheap and garish, the music is horrid and bears no relationship to the dances which have lost their grace, beauty and ’mood’ by being butchered to fit whatever unmelodious cacophony the band can actually make a stab at. I can also see that the most favoured and allegedly ’popular’ female dancers look, and ’dance’, as if they should be performing in a sleazy, back-street lap-dancing club, apart from poor Erin who seems unwilling to accept that the sands of time have run out for her.

Add to this unappealing mix, a gormless, tactless giggling fool, a geriatric compere who has blighted ‘popular’ television since my childhood and is nowadays about as funny as an outbreak of Ebola fever, and four ‘judges’ of mixed ability and popularity - not that actual ‘ability’ to comment on dance is an asset here, their opinions are so worthless and so universally disregarded that Sooty and Sweep could deputise - at least Sooty might be able to give us a reasonable waltz tune on his xylophone.

Once, while flicking through the channels, I came upon a dance show, and to this day I still feel scarred by the experience. It was like a sneak preview of Hell - a pair of overstyled puppets with fixed grins revealing at least 52 dazzling white teeth each, were dancing a dance I couldn’t begin to recognise, breaking off occasionally to writhe and wriggle around on a bed in a ghastly parody of sensuality.

When the horror was finally over, to my gobsmacked surprise, the entire audience rose to their feet and applauded, hooted and hollered like demented seals, then the camera flashed to Old Pop Goodman, up on his feet, grinning like a Hallowe’en lantern and clapping maniacally, to Bruno, also on his feet and clearly in the midst of a major cadenza, then to a woman with hair of enormous proportions who looked exactly like the woman who’d just ‘danced’. It was only then that I realised I was watching the Americanised version of SCD!

This, I fear, is the shape of things to come here in good old Blighty, and I don’t want any part of it - I didn’t like the new dancers last year and I won’t like the new dancers this year.   I didn’t particularly want to see SCD ‘freshened up’, I just wanted rid of Tactless Tess, Methuselah Forsyth and Pop Goodman. Some actual ‘celebrities’ rather than soap has-beens, elderly actresses and joke contestants like Anne Widdicombe (who should know better) would have helped too - as it is, for me, the last tiny little sparkle of magic followed the divine Matthew Cutler, the delightful Brian and lovely Lilia out of the door.

I’ll miss you all here on the Cool Blue - darling Bren who’s been so kind and encouraging, my dear pal BCfan who made me the most beautiful, treasured DVD’s of Matt and Alesha’s triumphal season, Thess who I’ve learned so much from - Oh, all of the regulars and the lovely posters who’ve made me laugh at their own reviews and been kind enough to encourage my ramblings.
I felt very moved when I came dashing here yesterday to check out the fell news and saw that people had missed me and were wondering if I’d continue to blog - I’m sorry but I just can’t - it wouldn’t be the same now my heart’s not in it, so, for now, Arriverderci, tutti!

Edited by Aida - 27 July 2010 at 15:38

Cats were once worshipped as gods in Ancient Egypt. They've never forgotten this.

BCfan View Drop Down
Penis FlyTrap
Penis FlyTrap

Quote BCfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 22:21
ClapAgree 100% - with every word.  Strictly??  What's that?
deborah31 View Drop Down
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac

Quote deborah31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 22:49
Oh Aida, sorry to hear you won't be watching or commenting anymore!!!!!!
 I don't know how 'Judas Bennett' can stay either, without his Russian Princess.
What will happen to the 'Chinese Dinners', the tales of five cats??? The New Beloved, the Old Beloveds, Prince Charming etc.. etc... the fairy tales are over. Will there be no "Terminus Felices" ?? (excuse my latin)

You'll be well missed lass (like they say in my native lanky twang)

Can no-one change your mind???!!
Pray Deo adiuvante!

Deb.xox

Edited by deborah31 - 27 July 2010 at 23:45
Loose Lips, Sink Ships !!   or as they say in Jamaice, 'Mouth open, Story fly out!'
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 23:00
will Email you Aida you cant desert us completely
anniemay View Drop Down
Enticer
Enticer

Quote anniemay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 09:14
Please reconsider Aida, you views on the programme would be missed so much.
 SCD is not so enjoyable for me as it once was, but I`ll give it a chance and watch the beginning at least.
Thess View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Quote Thess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 10:31
I agree with all comments before.  Aida, please continue to watch and write, your blogs may be the last vestiges of SCD for us here!
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
killersbee View Drop Down
Royal Blue
Royal Blue

Quote killersbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 15:11
Like the others have said, it wouldn't be good at all without your opinions from the Pyramid

And as for me, the moment Anne Widdicombe is confirmed in the line-up, I'll switch to X-Factor for the rest of the year
Catwoman: "For one if I was a bloke, I would not flirt with you two. I have standards."
Toots: "If I had a figure like Ola's, I'd wear that outfit to Sainsburys!"
Toots View Drop Down
Will Sell Body for Cash
Will Sell Body for Cash

Quote Toots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2010 at 08:12
RECONSIDER... WE NEED YOU

How on earth are we to get through to Christmas without you? Pour yourself a large small one and see it out in a pink haze of alcohol; maybe a box of Thorntons too? Anything to get you to the end and still posting on here. DON'T GO!
Tups View Drop Down
Swallows
Swallows
The Queen Of Tarts

Quote Tups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 00:51
I have to agree with everyone else Aida,.. but I understand that you're not looking forward to Strictly this year.. neither am I.. but I would watch it.. if only so I could agree with you and your comments anc relive the funnier moments all over again.
Aida.. I will miss YOU more than I will miss Strictly..but I am wondering if your New Beloved appears on Dancing on Ice if we can tempt you to create a blog or him on skates?
Will miss you and your hubby and the cats Aida xxxx
 Post Reply Post Reply