I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Celebritain.com Entertainment Forum > Television and Film
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

80's season on BBC TWO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Timbo View Drop Down
Fluffer
Fluffer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Timbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 80's season on BBC TWO
    Posted: 17 May 2010 at 13:43
I have really got into BBC TWO's 80's season, particularly the last two Sunday nights.

The Previous Sunday, programmes dedicated to Radio 1 filled the entire evening schedule, and the schedule yesterday was totally fabulous TV.

It started with a true-story drama "Worried about The Boy"  focusing on Boy George, the gender bender pop star who shot to fame in the 80's with hits including "Karma Chameleon" and "Do You Really Want to Hurt me?"  I was so looking forward to this drama and was not disappointed, particularly with Matthew Horne's performance as Jon Moss (yes, the Matt Horne from Gavin and Stacey).

After that "Girls and Boys" was a repeat of a 2005 documentary focusing on groups such as Spandau Ballet, ABC and The Human League who grew out of the New Romantic era (all of them still going in 2010, give or take the odd legal wrangle).

Then Sheffield Electro-Pop Pioneers Heaven 17 in concert from Sheffield's Magna Arena, recorded just a couple of months ago.  The group are now just a duo, Glenn Gregory and Martyn Ware, but they dazzled by playing the whole of their debut album "Penthouse and Pavement", still sounding great after all these years.  There was even a guest appearance by Claudia Brucken of Propaganda fame (and who was or still is married to Glenn Gregory) for a version of "These Boots are Made for Walking" from The British Electric Foundation project (B.E.F) - originally, the late great Paula Yates sang on the track.

A top night in for telly, and it certainly made a change by looking back on BBC TWO for a whole three and a half hours.

The 80's season continues tonight with "Royal Wedding" and another comedian making his straight acting debut - step forward Kevin Bishop - plus more Heaven 17, as they tell the story of that first album straight after Newsnight tonight.

Edited by Timbo - 17 May 2010 at 13:44
From Timbo
Check me out on Facebook (tim.pardington) or follow timpinwimbledon on Twitter.
Laura View Drop Down
What Blue Dreams Are Made Of
What Blue Dreams Are Made Of
Posh (manipulative) Totty

Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 11:01
Hoping to catch some of this on iplayer, looks to be really good stuff. Nice to have some original drama.

For anyone getting into 80s music, i can highly recommend the Ministry of Sound triple CD electronic anthems - it's brilliant!
Timbo View Drop Down
Fluffer
Fluffer

Quote Timbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 16:14
Have got that already - I got it for Christmas.   My collection also boasts a Heaven 17 compilation.
From Timbo
Check me out on Facebook (tim.pardington) or follow timpinwimbledon on Twitter.
 Post Reply Post Reply