I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reality TV > The X Factor 2013
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alexandra's mum launches bitter attack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bren View Drop Down
Vintage Vamp
Vintage Vamp
Private Dancer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alexandra's mum launches bitter attack
    Posted: 02 May 2010 at 15:41

Alexandra Burke's mum launches bitter attack on X Factor star

Exclusive by Adam Lee-Potter 1/05/2010

Alexandra%20Burke%20%28Pic:Getty%29

Alexandra Burkes mum has launched a devastating attack on her superstar X Factor daughter just days before the release of her new single.

Bitter Melissa, whose own pop career flopped after she quit Soul II Soul in 1997, claims lucky Alex whose debut album went double platinum and whose hotly-tipped newsingle is out this month only won The X Factor because of her.

Alex owes it all to me, says Melissa, who kicked out her daughter when she was just 16. She would never have won The X Factor if it hadnt been for me my experience,my tuition, my guidance.

I used to record my version of her songs on a dictaphone which I gave to her before each show. For her hit single Hallelujah, I recorded four versions and Alex took something from each one.

To be honest, Im a better singer than she is. But she is thinner than me maybe too thin. I was 18 stone in my heyday. But its all about image these days, more than talent.

Lets face it, if Alex ever got fat Simon Cowell would drop her like a stone.

Melissa even moans that her stunning daughter who won a s1million recording contract with Cowell, and releases her new single All Night Long on May 17 hasnt given her any of her £150,000 advance.

Melissa%20Bell%20and%20Alex%20Burke%20%28Pic:Steve%20Bainbridge/SM%29

Melissa and Alexandra

Shes rich but were poor. She hasnt given me a penny and Im too proud to ask. But considering her win was a team effort, I certainly deserve some.

Im not jealous. Im a fantastic song- writer but Alex hasnt written one yet. And Ive told her that her fame could all end next week. Its such a fickle business. I had one of the best voices in the world but made just £200 a night.

Alex, who lives in a rented flat in Barnet, North London, does pay for her mums groceries. But Melissa,46, complains: She has it delivered because shes too busy to bring it herself. And she gets it all from Asda, not Waitrose. And she always forgets my favourite biscuits.

For her part, Melissa appears to haveforgotten that Alex, 21, saved her life twice. She was diagnosed with diabetes-linked kidney failure three years ago only after Alex, worried by her mothers failing health, persuaded her to go to the doctor.

Then, in July 2008 just after she had made it to the Boot Camp stage of The X Factor Alex called anambulance when she found Melissa collapsed in bed.

Melissa who has just written her tell-all autobiography now needs dialysis three times a week. But there is a glimmer of hope. A compatible friend of Alex has offered to be an organ donor.

But even this lifesaver doesnt do much to cheer Melissa. Shes off again grumbling that she hardly ever sees Alex. But its pretty obvious why not. When Alex comes to my house, Im the boss. The fame stops at my front door. I tell her to do the washing up, scrub the floors and feed my dogs.

Certainly Melissa has endured a difficult life. David Burke, the father of her four children, was jailed for two years after fathering a child by a 14-year-old girl when Melissa was pregnant with Alex. She later took him back but they finallysplit six years later. Incredibly, Alex forgave him. Last year she said of her 51-year-old father: Hes back in our lives now and he is a changed man. I have a lot more respect for him now. What she feels for her mother is less clear.  After a spate of rows, Melissa kicked Alex out when she had just turned16. Alex had to stay with friends and they did not make up for two years. Melissa says: I dont know where she went but the door was always open. Now, while Alex jets round the world, Melissa lives in her three-bed council house with son Aaron, 17,and daughter Sheniece, 24, surviving on £270-a-month disability benefits and memories of past glories. Her other son David, a  23-year-old student, lives nearby. But Alex remains her obsession.

Alex is a sensible girl, she says. Shes very like me. She doesnt smoke or do drugs.

But she cant seem to find a boyfriend. Shes only had two and they were both losers. The trouble is she seems to like bad boys. I still give Alex advice. Shesl ucky to have a mum like me.

Melissa wearing baggy trousers, an old cardigan and battered Ugg boots even gives her daughter fashion tips.

I dont want her doing a BritneySpears, she says firmly. Ive told Alex never to let her knickers show. And Ive told her always to be nice to people on the way up because youll see them again on the way down.

Melissa has one more bombshell left.She says: Im going to do a Susan Boyle only better. Lets face it,shes got an OK voice but shes no Celine Dion. Ive still got the voice. So Im going to call Simon.

Theres room in the pop world for the two of us.

- MELISSA Bells autobiography, Heart and Soul, is out now, priced £17.99.

milly View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote milly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 16:20
TongueAlexandra's mum sounds like a bitter old past it begrudger she had her chance and didn't make it she cant live her life thru her younger prettier more talented daughter she should get over herself. Alex shouldnt even bother buying her any shopping except for toilet roll coz she's full of shit. Hope Alex has a  long and happy career ahead of her.Angel
milly
RachyBabyy7 View Drop Down
Virgin
Virgin

Quote RachyBabyy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 17:13
what? this surely can't be true. but if it is, what a tool. :L alex is amazing :)
Rach :)
 Post Reply Post Reply