I'm a celebrity get me out of hereThe X-Factor 2010Dancing On Ice 2011Big Brother 2011SCD 2012 ForumDancing with the Stars 2011

Big Brother 2013 Forum

The Blue Room Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Goodies > Food and Drink
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gluten free recipes - general

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MargiABC View Drop Down
Rampant Rabbit Fan
Rampant Rabbit Fan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MargiABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gluten free recipes - general
    Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 06:07
I thought I would start up a general gluten free recipe thread. I've noticed that more people are being diagnosed as gluten intolerant or as a coeliac. I like to experiment so my sister can eat food she used to enjoy. For Good Friday I cooked battered fish with chips and chilli salt and pepper calamari. We had guests for dinner and they all ate the gluten free battered fish and the calamari - they didn't know the difference.

Batter for fish

1/3 cup gluten free plain flour (I use Orgran)
2/3 cup gluten free SR flour
pinch salt
1 to 1.5 cups cold water.

1. Sift both flours into a bowl with the salt.
2. Whisk the cold water into the flour until the batter is smooth.
If too thick, whisk in a little more cold water. If too thin, whisk in a little more SR flour.
3. Stand for 30 minutes before using.

This batter can be used to coat any food that needs a batter e.g. apple fritters etc.

Use any fish fillets you like. Coat in gluten free flour, then dip into the batter. Deep fry immediately in hot oil until golden. Place the cooked fish onto absorbent paper to drain excess oil. Serve immediately.

Chilli salt and pepper Calamari

1 large or 2 small squid tubes.
1 to 2 egg whites
3/4 cup tapioca flour or gluten free plain flour
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder (you can use less or more depending on personal taste)
pinch salt
freshly ground black pepper.

1. Cut the squid tube down the side and lay flat on a board. Score the suface of the squid with a sharp knife in parallel lines about 1 - 2 cm apart. Repeat thew scoring at right angles so you have a diamond pattern.
2. Dry well with paper towel. Cut into strips about 3 cms wide.
3. Place the flour, chilli powder, salt and pepper in a plastic bag and shake well.
4. Lightly whisk the egg whites in a bowl. Add the squid and make sure it is evenly coated.
5. Place the squid into the bag of flour, twist the top of the bag and shake, so the squid is coated evenly.
6. Deep fry in hot oil until golden. Remove calamari and drain on absorbent paper. Serve immediately.
 Post Reply Post Reply